Ayutthaya Trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayutthaya Trip

Author: gzzer ([email protected])
Date: 10/14/2006, 02:09 am
1st, thanks for all the info on Thailand. I have a day reserved with Tong and 1 day with someone that works with her. Will pass on updated info when I get back at end of November.

I would like to know if a day trip to Ayutthaya is worthwhile. I have seen alot of ruins and am planning to go to Siem Reap the following week. Has anyone heard of there being some sort of celebration in Ayutthaya on the 5th of November? Also, what about Pattaya? I only have 4 full days in BKK. Other info I was wondering about are there Klongs more interesting than Thonburi. As far as the floating markets go, is Lak Ha one to see. One last question, is the Rose Garden worth going to or is it basically just "tourist"

Thanks alot for the help and will add updated info to this forum when I get back.

ed

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 04:57 AM

ed-if your're going to SR, I would suggest that you skip Ayuttahya. AW is amazing, Ayuttaya merely somewhat interesting. Your time is better spent in BKK.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:45 AM

i too would skip AY....in comparison to SR it is nothing

with such a short time in bkk, i would spend my whole time in bkk

the klongs, or the most frequently travelled ones are in thornburi....this is very worthwhile....you can do this on your own and the best place to get a boat if you are not staying in a river hotel is at taskim pier, below the taskim skytrain station.....if staying at a riverside hotel ask them to call a boat for you....expect to pay about 400B per hour.....a wonderful 2-3 hours...go in the afternoon when there is lots of activity
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I always enjoyed this trip to Ayutthaya as a nice relaxing day. Take a coach to Ayutthaya, stopping first at Bang Pa palace and walk around the beautiful grounds. You are then taken to 3 sites of ruined temples and then to the river for lunch on an air-conditioned launch and a 4 hour trip by river back to Bangkok with commentary. I usually do this trip on my last day in Bangkok to wind down.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM

While it is a pleasnt trip, I wouldn't do it if you are going to Angkor. After Angkor it will really be a letdown. Since you have only 4 days in Bangkok, don't use up a full day out of the city.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks alot for the responses. I guess there is enough right in BKK to keep us busy for the 4 days. The floating market is a big trip, though and is the Rose Garden worth going to.

ed
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM

Some like the floating market, others think it is too touristly. I liked it when we went, but we went very early, arriving there by boat through the klongs, then got into a paddled boat for floating around right in the middle of the market. By the time we were leaving to go back to Bangkok, the buses were arriving and that i think would be an unpleasant way to see it.

The Rose Garden was someplace we passed on our way to the floating market, and our driver asked us if we wanted to go, and we said no...he told us that was good, because in his opinion is was a tourist trap and rather a poor way to spend money and time. Everything I've read or heard about it supports that, and we have no desire to go there at all.

There is PLENTY to occupy 4 days in Bangkok...Grand Palace, Jim Thompson House, Vimanmek Palace, Wat Arun, Wat Po, National Museum, Suan Pakkard, markets, shopping centers, spa, Ko Kred....I've just filled a week with these sites. With only 4 days you will have to choose very carefully what you see based on your interests.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 08:37 PM

imo, skip the rose garden
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

thanks for that, I WILL skip the rose garden. Do you have any suggestions for what to do after visiting the floating market. It will probably be in the early am so I'll have alot of time left.

PS...this and other forums like this have really allowed me to travel on my own with my family without undue worry...That there are people who have done it first and then pass on their experiences is invaluable and appreciated. If I can help in places in the US, just ask.

thanks again

ed
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 08:14 PM

ed---we really liked visiting the pottery kiln near to the floating market out on the main road....all under a huge tin roof building .....huge pots being made and fired....some as tall as 4 feet....small shop there to with bargains and some bench... (sp) ware...elaborate porcelin...
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM

Speaking of pottery and boat trips, I kind of like the trip up to Koh Kred and back. There's an organized tour on Sundays by the operator of the Chaophraya Express service, or you could do it on your own with a long-tailed boat from one of the public piers.

Koh Kred is an island in the river north of Bangkok. It's home to a Mon village that's been making beautiful terra-cotta pottery for hundreds of years. The trip there and back is quite scenic. On your own, it can be done in a half-day.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:13 AM

MBKK is square on. Ko Kred is a very pleasant diversion. Just take a long tail boat from the northernmost stop on the river ferry. It's easy to get one. On KK, take a ride on the back of a motorcycle around the island, stopping a various places of interest. the motorcycle goes very slowly. It's fun.