Search

Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help!

My wife and I are traveling to Asia for 8 days in February (from Seattle). We are landing in Bangkok. We are trying to have a bit of fun while seeing as much as we can. This is her first time traveling to Asia - O have been to Hong Kong, Beijing, and Tokyo, though never for more than a few days at a time. Ideally, we will spend a day or two in Bangkok and then travel to Cambodia or Hanoi... a few questions:
1. where should we stay and what should our itenerary be for 1.5 or 2 days in Bangkok?
2. would be more interesting to spend the reminder of our time in Thailand or travel to Cambodia or Hanoi (keeping in mind that we will need to fly out of Bangkok at the end of our 8-day trip). If the recommendation is to go to Cambodia or Hanoi, where should we stay, what should we do, and are we safe?
Thanks in advance for all of your help! You all help me so much.
Brian
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Let me begin my assuming that you do, indeed, have 8 full days from your arrival in Bangkok to your departure from Bangkok. If you really have less than than, then forget this long message and go straight to Option A.

Remember that your flight from Seattle will be long and exhausting, and you'll be making a day for night switch. Also, it's very hot in Bangkok and most of SE Asia, so the heat will slow you down as well.

Option A: spend the whole time in Bangkok. Bangkok is a fabulous city, you can stay in luxury hotels for a fraction of the price of such hotels in the US, there are wonderful things to see and wonderful things to buy. With 8 days, you could take a day trip or two outside the ciity. My first trip to Bangkok many years ago, I spent 9 full days in Bangkok. As many of us have said again and again on this board, stay at one of the wonderful hotels along the river.

Option B: Combine Bangkok and Siem Reap, Cambodia to visit the temples at Angkor. Search on this board for specifics about your visit. Three days is considered the minimum to see the major temples. Fly from Bangkok to SIem Reap, spend three or four nights in SR, depending on when your flights are, and return to Bangkok.

Option C: You could fly to Hanoi and spend three or four nights. It will be just enough to sample the city, but not enough time for a trip to Halong Bay, for example.

Option D: Combine Bangkok with either a few days at the beach (Phuket or Hua Hin, for instance) or with a few days in the north (Chaing Mai or Chaing Rai, for instance).

Frankly, you are trying to do a lot in 8 days. There are pragmatic reasons to slow down (jet lag, the heat) but if you want to enjoy yourself and get a sense of the place you'll have to slow down as well. Consider this just your first trip to SE Asia, not your only trip.

Oh, yes, your question about safety, I have to say I feel at least as safe in SE Asia as in Seattle.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 10:24 AM

kathie gives good advice... i would add that you could include only one destination in the middle of your trip...siem reap needs 3 days plus or minus a travel day (for round trip)..i would skip it this trip..

you could do hua hin or pattyea (spelled incorrectly) by taxi...each is a couple of hours drive from bkk... spend two nites and return to bkk for the remainder of your time....bkk is easy to get around in but most difficult your first trip until you learn the ropes...for this reason i think i would consider bkk only for the 8 days...day one is lost to recovery so you only have 7 or less...

look at the bangkok marriott resort and spa or more upscale the peninsula---both are on the river....there are all levels of hotels so you need to set a budget and then deal with it accordingly....food is very cheap as is most everything else so your major expenses are hotel and flight....
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:36 PM

Try the Shangri-La Hotel, which is also along the river. The Shangri-La group of hotels is my favorite. I love their decor, softly elegant, and their smooth service.

You will find a boat/ferry stop at the back of the hotel, very conveniently located.

The "fastest" way to travel in Bangkok is on the water, which is why the above posters have recommended being by the river. The "ferry" is frequent and the price is fixed, which saves having to bargain with the taxi or tuk-tuk drivers.

Have a great trip! and be sure to wear modest clothing, no bare arms or legs or shoulders, when visiting the Palace.

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help in this matter!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:08 PM

I would have 3 days in Bangkok, fly to Hanoi (for accom see vietnamstay.com)for 4 days and do a day trip to Halong Bay (easy to organise through Tamarind tours in old quarter for US35 p.p. min 2 pax)then return to Bangkok. We have heard Siem Reap & Angor deserve more than a few days as there is much to soak up. This trip may be just a taste of SE Asia hopefully and you will allow a bit more time for your next visit. Have a great time.