Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

After Bangkok have 6 days to travel solo--suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Andrea

I will be spending 7 days in Bangkok and then have 6 free days to travel. However, I will be traveling solo. Any suggestions, on cities/countries close to travel to that are safe for a solo female? Any tour suggestions? Should I book from US or wait and book from Bangkok? ANy help would be appreciated. can email me directly. Thanks

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:23 AM
pat

A<BR>7 days in bangkok? quite amazing for me that you would be here that long. You haven't mentioned when you will travel here. For me i would suggest the northeastern region of thailand which is not too touristic like northern Chiang mai or Phuket beach. You can find more information on www.tat.or.th.<BR>If you fancy nearby countries, i would say Cambodia; split Phanom penh and Siem reap half/half or Vietnam for Hanoi because you would not taste the difference if you had stayed 7 days in bkk before heading to Ho chi minh. I don't really know whether you are eligible to get a tour package from Air France because you 're not the thai national, just try! since you're leaving from bkk anyway.<BR>\welcome to asia.

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Kathie

I'd recommend spending the 6 days in Siem Reap, Cambodia, visitng the many temples at Angkor. Angkor is probably my favorite spot in SE Asia, and I've done a lot of traveling in the region. However, if you aren't into art, history, architecture, archaeology, etc, it's not for you. Take a look at the phtos from my December trip there at www.marlandc.com<BR><BR>Other options include northern Thailand, or south for beaches, or a short trip into Laos (Luang Prebang), you can fly from Bangkok. Another option would be to head north out of Bangkok, to the old capitals, and continuing up into the Golden Triangle area. All of this area is easy to travel independently, relatively inexpensive, and safe for a lone woman traveler.<BR><BR>You can book flights from the US or from Bangkok, it really doesn't make any difference in terms of prices.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Margo

Just head a couple of hours south to Hua Hin. Relaxed and laid back, no sleezy stuff. Very pleasant place. There are plenty of local tours including temples, ancient palace, national park, river boat cruises, elephant rides. It is so close to Bangkok will only cost less than $4 by VIP bus or you can take the train or a taxi.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Nancy

I just completed a tour in February with 5 days in Bangkok, 3 days in Chiangrai, and 5 days in Chiangmai. If I get the chance to go back I would spend most of my time in Chiangmai. Bangkok is a huge city with a ton of traffic making it an hour trip just to get out of the city. Personally, I don't think there's enough to see to spend 7 whole days. Chiangmai is much more personable. You can visit hill tribes, the night market (worth 2-3 trips) and just mosey around. Even tho' I was on a tour and only went out a couple of times on my own, I felt very safe. My ideal would be to spend 2 full days in Bangkok, 5 days in Chiangmai and 3 days in Chiangrai (from there you can get to a lot of hill tribes). If you'd like my trip report, please e-mail me directly. P.S. I haven't been to the beach area as I don't vacation to sit on a beach; I can do that at home.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:11 AM
andrea

thanks everyone for the info it was very helpful. i think my extra time will be spent in chaing mei and siem reap. they sound/look interesting.<BR><BR>have a ques about clothes. i know for the temples i have to cover up, but for regular sightseeing/shopping is shorts/sneakers acceptable for a woman?<BR>thanks

Old May 24th, 2002, 07:41 AM
monica

Our family has spent 5 days touring by car the beaches along the coast outside Bangkok and found it a great experience. We drove south to Phetchaburi, Chaam, Hua Hin, Prachuap, Bang Saphan and Chumpon. We had nice 3 star hotels for about $18-20 a night, the roads were fine and prices so cheap compared with major resorts. We loved it.