Attn: jamesA---hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi james....i'm planning again for a may/june trip this year....you gave us such good tips on the peace resort last year i am wondering if you can do the same for a similar spot in two areas: phuket and the area past pattaya (koh samet, rayong, etc.) or even jotiem..

it can be cottages or a larger facility but needs to have a nice pool and access to restaurants...would like to spend between $50-100. U.S.

as always thanks for the assistance..

bob
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 12:32 AM

Hi Bob, Travelduo recently stayed at the Barali on Koh Chang and we can ask for more details. I have not stayed at the Burali and it's a few years since visiting Koh Chang however it might suit, it's very quiet and my last visit not many restaurants but hopefull Travelduo can update. It has cottages, I think the only downside might be lack of good restaurants, let's see what Travelduo can tell us.
You can fly on Bangkok Airways to Trat in 40 minutes and the transfer to resort seems quick, easy and cheap. Then perhaps you could get car/driver and overnight at the Marriott in Pattaya and earn those mile points! Then taxi to BKK.

Otherwise you can get a car+driver from Koh Chang ( resort will sort ) to take you to Pattaya U-Tapao Airport ( about 40 mins south of Pattaya on the way towards Trat/Koh Chang ) and you can get a Bangkok Airways flight either via Samui Daily or 3 x weekly non stop ( 1 hr 30 on an ATR 42/72 turbo-prop ). You could then use Bangkok Airways on a BKK-Trat, Pattaya UTapao- Phuket, then Phuket-BKK, i.e 3 sectors. If May/June you should be able to get some pass deal for 3 sectors.

http://r24.org/huahin.20m.com/thai/barali/
The Panviman is good but expensive.

I don't think Rayong itself or Koh Samet would suit, Rayong has a Novotel Coralia resort but honestly there is almost nothing in the area, I just don't think it would be your style. Samet is very quiet but gets busy at weekends with lots of students and other BKK based travellers.

For Phuket I am guessing you want to be within distance of restaurants but not bang in the busy part ( i.e Patong ), the Kata Thani could suit, you will be able to get to the famous Boathouse for a good meal easily get to Karon in 10 minutes and try the Old Siam ( recent report somewhere here )and if you want to go into Patong perhaps to eat at Baan Rim Pa it's about 20 minutes.

Now, you have probably guessed over time that beach cottages/bungalows not reallyu big in Phuket, beachfront prices are so amazing that hoteliers want to build as many room in the space. Now if wanted the busy Patong style then a good trusty bet is the Club Andaman, it has been around I guess at least 15 years so is a hardened reliable well used place. They have hotel style rooms but also they have Garden cottages, not that big but they are tropical style and the pool is quite large. It's across the road from the beach at Patong but walking diatnce to shops etc. Naturally good choice of restaurants.

I will ttt Travelduo's thread.

So take a look at Barali, Kata Thani and maybe Club Andaman and that gives you something to browse over the w/end.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 12:36 AM

see: " Att:Travelduo" thread
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

as always thanks james.....maybe this time we can hitch up....i'd like to meet you, and also have my friend who is moving to jotiem to meet you.... his girlfriend is thai so you have something in common...

bob
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:05 PM

bob, I realize you directed this question to james but as you were so instrumental in helping us plan our first trip to thailand I wanted to respond. You may want to consider the Hilton phuket arcadia beach resort on karon beach in phuket. We stayed for 3 nights this past nov and loved it! The property is very spacious, beautifully landscaped but private. The rooms are located in several 5 story buildings most with a seaview. The interconnecting winding lagoon pools are beautiful with water falls and slides. We enjoyed the american buffet breakfast and had a great dinner at the Thai restaurant. There is also a store were you can buy salads, subs, pastries, cheese, olives, wine etc. We booked our room, a deluxe seaview on the 4th floor, prepaid 3 nite special for 3800b+ per day via the internet. Our room was very comfortable,
large and had a balcony were we enjoyed beautiful sunsets over the ocean. The 45 min taxi ride from the airport was 600b.
You can check the hotel at phuket.com and phuketarcadia.com
Cheers
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

thaks very much all... after tons of hours on the computer looking especially at the sites that james suggested we have been told about a way to visit the marriott for a decent price, so i guess we will do that....we know it is out of the way...

as james also pointed out that this is the rainy season which i had forgotten we are limiting the trip to 3 nites... i perhaps will get a car so we can get around even if it is wet some of the day...

all of your suggestions were very much appreciated however....i have put them in my travel folder for future reference....thanks again..