Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advance booking fot imperial villas /palace Kyoto

Jan 17th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

GregR appears to have applied on line for permission to visit. Can you please advise me of the website to use. All my guidebooks talk about applying in person but I would rather not waste time while in Kyoto if they can be booked in advance. Thanks
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:39 AM
emd

Susan: I got to these via a link to the Imperial Household Agency on www/japan-guide.com.
The site for application is:
http://sankan.kunaicho.go.jp/ordere/index_EN.html
When you click on "application for visit" there, it brings up every place you need to apply to visit, including Imperial Palace and Katsura Villas, among others.
Please post back here and let me know if you are successful in booking on that site. I haven't applied yet as we are not going til late March.
I assume this is the same that Greg used.
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:47 AM
emd

Actually, it is not too early to apply- I just went on and time can be reserved through April, and some of the dates I wanted for the Imperial palace in March are already full.
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:02 AM
emd

Also, the site will not accept applications from midnight to 5 a.m. japan time.
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM

emd - Thanks for the heads up! I just booked my reservation - the week in April that I am in Kyoto was partly gone already! Guidebooks seem to imply that you can basically walk in to the Imperial Household Agency or go one day in advance to get a booking. It doesn't seem so from the website.
Mara
Jan 18th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks emd for the link which I have now found. I am not going until May so am too early too book but will watch the site so that I can book early. Good luck with your reservations.
Jan 18th, 2005, 01:11 AM
emd

I made our reservations last night. In the process of filling out the forms online, do not put any punctuation in your address, no periods or commas, or it will give you an error message. Otherwise, it is straightforward. Right after you reserve, an email is sent to you w/a permit number and you use that to confirm your reservation online. Instructions are given on where and when to show up w/passport in Kyoto.
It appears that only the Imperial Palace in Kyoto offers English speaking 1 hr tours at 10 a.m. on days they are open. The other site tours are only in Japanese. But I have seen postings on another forum that say at least some of these sites give you an English brochure to use on the tour.
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Hi all, yes, that's the site i used...as a follow up to my original email, we never did get approval for katsura (applied twice) unfortunately...only shugakuin and the imperial palace.

as i said before, it appears the imperial palace approval is instant, whereas the the others are by drawing lots (apparently). perhaps something can be done once in kyoto(?) we'll be in kyoto the first week of april...

Greg
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:55 AM
emd

Greg, I posted another question on this and wanted to ask you this. The tours of Katsura villas and Shugakuin are only in Japanese. Are you aware of whether they have English language brochures or tour amterials for those who don't speak Japanese?
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM

i believe you're shown an english language video (or subtitled?) prior to the tour. the tour is then conducted in japanese.

Greg
Jan 19th, 2005, 01:24 PM
emd

ok, thanks for the info.
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:58 PM

emd,

I've just called Imperial Household Agency and they answered
they had several types of English language brochures on Katsura & Shugakuin, both for free and for sale.
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:19 AM
emd

framboise: Wow, big thanks, I never expected someone to call for this!
Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:16 AM
emd

BTW, I just found out from someone who has visited Imperial Palace in Kyoto that the tours do not go inside the palace. And he says there is a video in English to watch before the Katsura tour.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:08 AM

Does anyone know what criteria is used for letting visitors into the Katsura Villa? My request for a visit (using the Web site) was just denied, even though I applied several months in advance. I had requested a May slot, and did this when the May bookings first opened, so everything was available.

After receiving the "denied" email notice, I checked the booking Web site again, and the date/time I selected is still marked as being available for additional visitors.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:36 AM
emd

Not sure what is going on, Joyce, but when I looked a few wks ago online for March dates, every slot on every day in Feb, March, and Arpil was filled up on the online calendar. Strange. Being rejected when there are open slots is even more strange.
I have heard (on another forum) that you can still try going to the Imperial Household Agnecy in Kyoto on the day before you want to go and see if you can get in. They apparently hold open slots for walk-ups who show up the day before, or so I've been told.