Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is there a way travel between Phuket and Hua Hin without going back to Bangkok?

Nov 14th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

We are thinking about going to both Phuket and Hua Hin during our trip to Thailand. We will stay a few days in Bangkok (we've been 3 times before) and then go to either Phuket or Hua Hin and then to the other. Bangkok Airways used to fly into Hua Hin but it appears that they no longer fly there. Is there a way to go between Phuket and Hua Hin without going back to Bangkok? I don't really want to take a long train or bus ride. JamesA, I know you have the answer but if anyone else has any suggestions, I would appreciate your advice.
Nov 14th, 2003, 11:08 AM

You are right, Bangkok Airways has stopped the flights, not surprised, US$220 Hua Hin to Phuket reurn on a prop plane was a ridiculous fare, even the 50 minute hop to Koh Samui cost about US$155 return.
Anyway your best way is to get a car+driver. The road is fine and will take about 8 hours with a couple of short stops or you can stretch it to 9-10 if you want to take it easy and perhaps stop on the way and have luch at say the Chumphon Cabana.
On a quiet day good weather little traffic I've done that sector Hua hin to Phuket Airport in about 6 hrs 45, the beaches of Patong/Kata/Karon about another 45 minutes.
Hua Hin drivers would charge about 6-7,500 per vehicle, so if 2 of you it's quite reasonable. If you are going Hua Hin to Phuket it is easy to find a decent vehcile in Hua Hin.
If you were prepared to drive Budget and Avis will not charge any 'drop charge' on rentals of 3 days or longer, B 1,499 per day including CDW Insurance. Your fuel will cost you about B 600 for the journey.
Fort a car+driver ex Phuket I would try people such as 'Airport car rent' and 'Davids Car rental' for a car=driver. They rent their vehicles at about 1,200 a day, so for them to give you a car+driver including fuel for say B 6,000 is a fair price to you and quite a good earning for them.
Nov 14th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks James. I didn't expect to hear from you so soon. Aren't you in Bangkok? It's just after 3:30 AM there. It sounds like a long ride, so we may have to choose between Phuket and Hua Hin. I am correct that Hua Hin would be better weather-wise for the end of May to first part of June?
Nov 14th, 2003, 09:54 PM

May - June weather in Hua Hin would be better but they are very very different locations. Phuket is a,lively tourist Island whereas Hua Hin is a relaxed coastal area. very different.
Our business is Computers, hence much work done during the night, only time we can get decent connection speeds for data, hence much feet up on desk reading mags, watching TV or skimming the forum! So it's not me heading back from the bars I assure you!
Nov 14th, 2003, 10:02 PM

Actually the drive is quiet pleasant, you do get to get away from the tourist trail, road is dual highway 60% of the way and then it passes through some great scenary towards Krabi and Phang Nga. In fact beach-hopping along the coast is a journey that I often recommend. A couple of hours get you from Hua Hin to bang saphan for beach and snorkeling off Koh Talu, another 1 hour to the Chumphon Cabana which is fabulous, 4 hours then to Phang Nga area close to krabi and Phuket. You also get to see ( sorry about cliche ) much of the 'real' Thailand. Just off the highway the villages and farmlands are very quiet, but there are some great small beach resorts with thatched beach bungalows yet with a/c and all facilities. Bang Saphan is hardly known yet is amazing. Each sector would cost about $40-45 for car+driver. Worth considoring.
Nov 15th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again James. Sounds interesting to me, but my wife may feel differently about it.