Attn: jamesA

Apr 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Attn: jamesA

james...can you list for me the possible ways to get from pattaya to the ferry to koh chang....you previously gave me a limo company at 5M B, and i have the line on a lesser cost driver, but are there other possible ways...?? and yes i could walk....then, would it be better to go to the trat airport or to the TAT office to get the transportation to the barali directly?? as i read it there are vans that drive you onto the ferry and then transport you through to the hotel after arrival on koh chang???

i have contacted the barali and they are not of much help honestly....

we are looking forward to hanging out on koh chang with the mosquitos....
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 21st, 2005, 07:23 PM

Sorry I've been on the computers all night long, will check around and get back to you later, I guess it's about 10pm yr time ( after seeing all the TV pictures of Rome the idea came up of a week in Rome this year, I have had a hard shock at the prices for even bed and breakfast in Italy !! Hey, I thought maybe a small reasonable little hotel for $30-50, best I could find was about $150 a night for some loussy cheap B&B! Wow, the prices were unbelievable, no wonder you all come down here !!!! )
Apr 21st, 2005, 07:34 PM

Mini van about B 550 ( though everyone seems to be topping up fares now as fuel has gone up a lot ),takes about 4 hrs, that includes the boat ticket. I will try and get a car+driver price for you.
Apr 21st, 2005, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

suggestions for rome area....look into two things....apartments which will be quite expensive too but even better are the monestaries and convents that rent rooms very reasonably....do a posting on the italy site or i may be able to dig something out for you...i believe there is a whole book written about it...for the next few nites there is a splendid apartment empty at the vatican which might be available...no kids though, so i guess it won't work for you...
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:46 AM

I just returned last night from a 2-wk trip to Italy and Switzerland. Prices are CRAZY in both places!! BKK is most assuredly a bargain when compared to Europe. Granted, Europe has its own charms and there are myriad reasons for going there, but BKK is on the top of our list of favorite places. Hands down!

(I've got to get my act together and put some of my photography on-line so people can see where I've been.. any help?)
Carol
Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

there are lots of sites....i like the way craig just did his...take a look at it...i have used shutterfly.com
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

james---where in pattaya do you get the van? will it take us all the way to the hotel or just to the ferry landing? i don't know why i just don't go with the flow and see when i get there, but.............
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:49 AM

When you get to the Marriott just walk along the road south and lots of travel places along the street, just check for the inclusive van+ferry price and then take the concierge to one side and ask when he can get you a nice car+driver for to Koh Chang, no doubt he will get back to you next am with his borhrter/uncle or stop next to the friendliest looking driver and car and ask him how much to the ferry point, could be 2-3,000. I'll see if Image limo will drop their price, otherwise for 2 it will cost you roughly B 1,000 for the can or B 2-3k for car+driver, you 'know' what those vans can be like! They should just head to the pier and but the ticket there unless you do the mini-van in which case they will include, of course you can also ask the travel places how much for your own car+ferry tickets and hopefully they will make a call and get it sorted, easy.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:56 AM

Actually on the Ital thing I thought it almost 'amusing' the prices being charged that place for about $150 in Rome I wouldn't pay $15 for here, ok, I know there are differences but then you 'step back' and realise not only what a bargain Asia is in general ( and I include Malaysia, Singapore ) and also Australia ( a 2 room nice apartments with all facilities and kitchen on the Gold Coast of Australia for about B2,800 a night (USD 70), fine, no problems, and my wife tells me some business associates are doing Santiago and Buenos Aires ( Via Sydney ) and they are paying about $50-60 a night for nice 3 star hotels in both ( they were pleasantly surprised to find B 2,000-2,400 hotels in S.America ), I also never found hotels in the States expensive and always though they were very good value for money, it just seems that Game lodges in Africa or anything with a bed in Europe the prices are from another plante!, and as someone on the Europe forum pointed out I hadn't thought about meals and transport (ouch again! ). I have not mentioned japan because I know that is a different price scale.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks james---any chance of that drink while we are there...in pattaya that is or will you be dancing that nite in the cabaret??
Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

europe is a captive market as are the game parks in africa...the cost in europe is no guarantee of a good stay either .....italy is often not all that nice on the lower levels...food is expensive as well...we spent that week in venice last year and hardly had a good meal and usually the dinner was $75-125 with one bottle of local wine...they get it however...of course venice is an exception too....there are bargains in the countryside however...we find rental houses with 2 bedrooms for $700-1000 per week....
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:23 AM

Absolutely, maybe we can go to do some seafood at Nong Nual or maybe dinner at Ruen Thai ( Thai style with some music and dance nice open area ).
You should 'bookmark' www.phuketgazette.net so you can start keeping track weather and what is on to see and do when down in Phuket.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

either of those would be fun....do you want to make a definate date or give me a number i can call you when i arrive in pattaya on may 31??? or send it to me at [email protected]....
Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

james---i would like to also be able to introduce you to my american friend who has or is about to move to jotiem with his thai girlfriend .... you would have english in common and thai partners in common...he is a really nice guy, a former meat cutter....

bob
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM

Nong Nual is on our list of seafood places in Chiang Mai. We love the place!!! James A will recognize the signs on the wall there... by the fish tank "It is swimming for cooking" and above the doorway "Refund for food complain" or is it "Refund for complain food"... anyway, we LOVE the place! Enjoy your dinner!
Carol
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:51 PM

The original since many many years in Pattaya catered for hundreds at a time, the one at Jomtien is our regular and I think I recall them having one in CM too.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:47 PM

Yep, Chaing Mai is where we eat at Nong Nual all the time.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

even though i had mexican shrimp for dinner tonight my mouth is watering for the thai seafood