Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Appropriate Dress For The Cultural Triangle

Old Aug 15th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am headed two Sri Lanka in two weeks, and I am seeking advice about what to wear while seeing the ancient sites. On trips like this, I either wear a knee length linen skirt, or REI convertible hiking pants. In both cases, I wear a loose fitting T shirt. For shoes, I either wear Ecco velcro sandals, or my Adidas half hiking boots. I am unsure which of these sites require a stroll, and which ones require some serious hiking. So, which shoes where, and skirt or pants where? All things being equal, I prefer the skirt. And I don't feel secure hiking in the Ecco sandals.

Thank you, for all your help now, and for helping me put together a great trip.

Here's my itinerary for the cultural triangle portion of the trip::

Sat Sept 2 - 7:30 AM driver pick up in Colombo, go to Dambulla, see the caves, arrive at Popham Arboretum at 3 or 3:30 PM, tour the place in daylight and then go on the night safari
Dambulla Rock Arch, Dambulla

Sun Sept 3 - Visit Dambulla Sunday Market, then day trip to Anuradhapura, Mihintale, and Kaludiya Pokuna

Mon Sept 4 - Day trip to Polonnaruwa, and dusk game drive in Minnerya

Tues Sept 5 - Visit Dambulla Wholesale Vegetable Market, then day trip to Sigiriya Rock, then Ritigala
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 06:46 AM

Your usual attire is fine. I would suggest the sandals rather than the hiking boots - it will be hot and the walking does not qualify as serious hiking. Indeed, I found the walking to be much easier than at Angkor, for instance. I always wear pants rather than a skirt, but a skirt would work in these places as well, though not for Sigiriya.

I would say that you seem to have scheduled yourself pretty closely. Be aware that you may not be able to cover all of these places in the time you have designated.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie. I had thought that Sigiriya was the only place on the list with serious hiking, but I wanted to confirm. And the sandals are indeed easier for going in and out of temples.

The schedule is indeed too packed. I threw in Kaludiya Pokuna as a maybe, and well as the vegetable market. I sent my itinerary to my driver, Stephen, and he told me that we need to be back at the hotels by dark. I responded that it's all just a wish list, except for the important sites in the cultural triangle, and that he may have some better ideas as we go.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 07:52 AM

As long as you remain flexible, you will be fine.

It isn't that SIgiriya is "serious hiking" but I would not want to be wearing a skirt as I climbed the long metal stairway to the top!
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 03:38 PM

The only place I can recall with any serous hiking was ritigala, but nothing too bad
Anurhadpura we were glad of Boots but only because of all the snakesa round brought out by the floods when we we there.

Linen skirts sound far preferable to me, if only I could get away with one agree wth Kathie's with sirigiya, the combination of a skiers open metal stairs would doubtless raise a few eyebrows!

Don't forget the wide brimmed hat, it does get intensely hot in some of these places - especially sirgiya. Lots of water too.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, crellston. So your advice is slightly different than Kathie's. I guess I will err on the side of caution and wear the boots every day.

If you are longing to wear skirts, you should move to Burma. So this reminds me of a funny story...

My son and I were in Burma in 2013 waiting for yet another flight, when we saw two monks approach the restrooms. They looked at the symbols on the doors, and they chose to go into the women's, because of the lady in a skirt symbol on the door. We saw two nuns laughing in embarrassment. Fortunately, the nuns were seated and not in the restroom.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 04:26 PM

Crellston was in Anurhadpura when they were having flooding, thus the snakes. I think our recommendations are pretty similar, but go with what feels right to you. You can always adjust the next day if there are problems with your selections one day.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Ah yes, Kathie, I remember crellston's unusual trip report. Since I have a driver, I can put the other shoes and clothes in the car. I typically take a small nylon duffel bag just for the car. Thanks for posting again.

Is your shoulder all better, and where are you headed next?