Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anyone recently stayed at the Lebua as State Tower in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a great rate, $114 per night, for a deluxe room. Worth it? Can't find any info about the location.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Have you searched here on Fodors? There have been plenty of comments about it.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:18 AM

The location is good, close(ish) to the river and the sky train. I have not actually stayed here and considered it myself but i like to be pure river front as i like to watch river life from my balcony. However if your not bothered about that and you get a good deal i would say its a good a place as any. (also one of the best bars with a view in BKK IMHO is at the state towers)
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Kathie - yes I have searched on Fodors and the comments are not very descriptive and most date to 2007 only. I was looking for some recent comments.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 03:23 AM

there are some on Trip advisor, try there.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Why are you folks so snarky and quick to assume I haven't done my research? If you haven't got anything positive to add, why comment? Obviously, I've already read the reviews on tripadvisor - otherwise I would not consider it. What I cannot tell from those reviews is the location and how easy it is to explore using that as a base or whether that's a good rate or whether it's a pain to get around. Plus I cannot ask specific questions to people on tripadvisor. That's why I am posting here.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 04:31 AM

IMO the Labua is not worth even the biggest discount they can offer. The hotel has tried on numerous occasion to covertly advertise themselves here.

The location? At the end of Sukhumvit road, not on the river and not central to anything. The owners? Well bang, bang, boom, boom should be their motto.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM

I don't like the location of State Tower building but I LOVE Sky Bar on the roof (one of the most beautiful in the world). The best way around Bangkok is by skytrain, and the LeBua is not close to a station! Period! I'm sure rooms are nice.

Carol
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Puttakka - i hope that wasn't addressed at me i was actually trying to be helpful as you had stated there were no up to date reviews here. You didn't actually state that you had read reviews elsewhere. Sheez i was only trying to help.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Oh and i DID mention about the location, so what exactly wasn't helpful or positive about that? AND you can post topics/questions on trip Advisor. Now THAT is me being snarky!
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Smeagol - sorry for being cranky. I don't frequent the tripadvisor forums. Tripadvisor reviews can be helpful but they can also contradict themselves! Some say great location, some say terrible. I get much better info here.

All - thanks for the tips! I'm starting to think that, great rates aside, there may be a better choice in Bangkok (but in the meantime I'll hold onto my fully refundable reservation). I'll go do some mroe research and find a better located hotel. Hope this thread helps someone else considering the Lebua.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 06:07 AM

puttakka - Apology accepted.
Now is it price or location thats most important to you? if you let us know i think we could probably between us find the right place for you as many of us here have been to Bangkok lots of times (i am a by the river addict)

I do know what you mean about TA reviews you have to take some of them with a LARGE dose of salt!!!
do come back back with more info, we are more than happy to help.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Smeagol. I don't really know who to believe on tripadvisor. Sometimes I believe the hotels themselves advertise on there.

I'll start a new thread - I reaally appreciate your comments and advice.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 06:46 AM

puttakka, I know what you mean about trip advisor. I find the info so contradictory that it's often not helpful to me. And it's often hard to tell who are legitimate reviewers.

I'm sorry you found my search suggestion unhelpful. I've not stayed at Lebua, but I remember the reviews of several people I know who stayed there. SInce it wasn't first-hand info, I was reluctant to summarize their comments rather than suggesting you do a search.

Even though the reviews are two years old, the complaints about the location, the dark rooms, doors to the balcony that can't be opened are unlikely to have changed. Some people are fine with the 10 minute walk to the skytrain, some are fine with being "near" the river rather than on the river, some are not. Personally, I think you can do better at that price.

Have you been looking at www.sawasdee.com ? That's the site I use for booking hotels in Thailand.

You might also want to consider a serviced apartment, such as the Centerpoint Silom (by the river) or Carol's favorite places, the Adelphi Suites, just off Sukhumvit.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM

The Lebua is a very good hotel,all the rooms are suites.It is very well situated,Skytrain and river boat a few minutes walking.On top of the building is the most scenic restaurant in Bangkok...Siroco

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/...069a3386_o.jpg

In Spanish...sorry

Chokdi
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Kathie

The Center Point Silon is not located "by the river" and is in an inferior league comparing with Lebua

More about the Lebua

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/lebua/
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Gardkarlsen did a great review about Lebua (Kathie - turns out I wasn't searching properly). I think the Lebua might be good for a second trip but not for the 1st time one visits Bangkok.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM

toni, Centerpoint Silom is right next to the skytrain, one building away from the river - certainly closer than Lebua to both. Centerpoint is serviced apartments - Lebua is a hotel - apples and oranges. Some people here have not liked the Lebua rooms because they are so dark, very little natural light.

To each one's own.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM

Sawati

The doors to the balcony can be opened and Lebua has a Shutle facility to Saphan Taksin (Skytrain)and Central Pier (Tha Sathorn)river boat...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2488/...3d58f4b2_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3491/...4627fe13_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3459/...2d18ed7f_o.jpg

Bangkok at your feet!!!

Chokdi