Bangkok - Peninsula or Banyan Tree

Feb 17th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Bangkok - Peninsula or Banyan Tree

Hi, it's me again. My boyfriend and I will be spending one last night in Bangkok after our tour of Thailand before heading back to Europa.

We are hesitating between the Peninsula and the Banyan Tree - can anyone help??

Feb 17th, 2004, 05:53 AM

As I'm wrting this I cannot remember where the Banyan Tree is located. In any case, the important point is that it is not on the river. Staying on the river makes all the difference in Bangkok. Also, many people rate the Pen as the best hotel in Asia, some consider it the best hotel in the world. I think there is no competition here.
Feb 17th, 2004, 05:58 AM

on what basis are you hesitationg? location, price et..

everyone is going too say the PEB but there must be a reason why your looking at the Banyon tree.
Feb 17th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

We are hesitating on the basis of 'wow-factor' really. We like the fact that all the rooms at the Banyan Tree are suites (I particularly like the sound of their in-suite bath menus)- which is not the case at the Peninsula.

On the other hand - the Peninsula is on the river and as we will not be staying near the river during the first part of our trip it would be nice to do so at the end.

Hope this helps.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Get a corner suite on a high floor at the Penn, and have your last dinner (or drinks) on the terrace as the sunsets watching the world float by on the river. . .you won't regret it.

The Banyan Tree is located on Sathorn Road, a busy road in a commerical area which is not that interesting, esp for your last night. The river is really a magical part of Thailand and Bangkok
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Since the Bangyon is on the 51st and 54th floor you could probably sit back and watch the Mekong river as well:}.

This place seems too be more of a spa resort.

Cicerone is correct in that sathorn is kind of of boriing. but the hotel is only about 2 blocks from the POT Pong district due north. and a couple of blocks west ya have the biggest night market in town.

But maybe telling people that you went to the best hotel in the world occording too some mags may be more. of a wow factor.. I don't know.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:33 AM

i just posted a reply which disapeared...in short the penn is far superior and will provide a real memory for you
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:34 AM

the hua hin hotel site from jamesA has it for $173 complete at the moment
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:30 AM

The PEN Def IMO! Hands down winner. One more input - the Pen has great restaurants which people always reco even if u are not staying there hence are gen lively - which is fun should u choose to dine in (which u should at the Pen at least a couple of times!). Banyan Tree has a bar - Vertigo - which is fun but I have always found their restaurants a little sparsely populated.
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:03 AM

Hi

Just want to say that Vertigo on top of the Banyan Tree building is a great place to take a drink at night. It is an outdoors bar/restaurant and it is one of the tallest buildings in Bangkok so you get a great view.

Have a great trip to Thailand. If you need som info please check out my trip reports and pictures on my personal homepage www.gardkarlsen.com

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:40 PM

One more vote for the Pen. Although I've never stayed at Bayan Tree I did stay at the Oriental and the Pen just puts it to shame
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:08 AM

Since we are on the subject of the Penn, I have reservations there in July for three nights on the front end of my 16 day honeymoon Thai trip. I am now looking for a hotel on the back end of my trip (just after three days in Angkor). I hear the Penn is absolutely wonderful and nicely priced, but I need another hotel for the last two nights of my trip. I also have to consider that I have a 7am departure from the airport to head back to the states after my second night. I was considering the sukhothai as a place to kind of wind down after the trip, and have one last day in BKK. Any suggestions?

Thanks! KW
Feb 20th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Having stayed at the Banyan Tree, I would definitely stay at the Peninsula. The river is where the action is and the Banyan Tree is pretty far from the river. The rooms are pretty nice, the pool was below average and service lacking by Thai standards. It seemed everyone was working on commission and became quite annoying when people started following you around asking where you were going to shop. I expected better from a 5* property. The roof-top restaurant was quite nice, as were all the restaurants, but take a cab there for dinner and stay on the river. Enjoy your trip!!
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:39 AM

KerryW, I wouldn't worry about your 7 am departure as a factor in where to spend your last two nights. At the hour in the morning when you're leaving your hotel, there isn't much traffic.

Personally, I always stay by the river. If you MUST have a different hotel at the end of your trip, choose another hotel by the river.