Search

Angkor with kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angkor with kids

Angkor with kids

I'm planning a trip to the Phi Phi islands and Siem Reap for August. The idea is to be at Cambodia only for 2 days and a half and stay at a 5 star hotel. We intend to visit only the main temples such as the Angkor Wat, Ta Phrom, Bayon and Bantar Srei. We travel with our two kids who are 7 and 11 years old. Will it be to risky to go with them even if we take all precautions? Is this a crazy idea? And is it common to see there tourists with young children?
I know that the kids won't appreciate much the place, but come on, it is only two days.
I only want to make sure that is is not a high risk for them.
I would appreciate to have some feedback about this.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:11 AM

I think it will be a great trip for them, and if you load them up on Indiana Jones videos (and the first Lara Kroft Tomb Raider movie, which shows some brief bits that were actually filmed there) before you leave, I think they'll really enjoy it!

I'm not sure what exactly your fears are about risks for the children in Siem Reap. It might be better if you post yoru specific concerns, because I'm afraid if I go rattling of the possibilities I'll scare you off Cambodia, which I personally would NOT list as a particularly risky area at this point.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:12 AM

You can stop worrying. There is a good possibility your kids will actually enjoy it and maybe even learn something about an ancient and fascinating culture while they are at it! My kids say it's one of the best family trips we have done.

The key is get a good guide, who will pace your temple visits according to the kids' energy and interest levels. There are some great stories about the different ruins and the right guide can make the history come alive for your kids.
Take plenty of water, insect repellent and sunscreen and they will be fine. You will most likely be worn out before they are. Avoid the hottest part of the day by starting your visits early in the morning, then returning to your hotel for lunch and a swim and going back out in the afternoon.
The Sofitel has an excellent pool for kids and a nice pizza restaurant. The breakfast buffet there is excellent.

Something the kids might enjoy is the hot air balloon ascent, which gives you a real birds-eye view of Angkor Wat. We did not have time to do this, but it looked like fun.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:38 AM

I saw many European, particularly French and German, families at Angkor Wat. What are you afraid of??? Siem Riep is perfectly safe.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:27 AM

there are no dangers if the children are well behaved and do what you tell them to do....they can't go climbing, etc without supervision...that could be dangereous...

the key will be to have it quite structured, i think...two-3 hours in the am, then some swimming, then 2-3 hours in the pm....maybe the 5* place (guees you mean the Grand) would have a teen age baby-sitter who could oversee the kids at the pool while you went off on tours....or someone who would take them to see the aligator farm while you went to more ruins....they will tire fast of the ruins i think....how about getting them to make a video or other recording travel-log of their experiences for later school use...if they buy into it, all would have a more enjoyable time...siem reap is pretty sparce for kids, seems to me so you have to go prepared...

i would ask the grand what possibilities there are for you....

2 1/2 days is the least time you should devote to angkor...you will do quite a bit if you have a guide and/or driver
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Ben

We spent 5 days at Angkor with our children when they were 8 and 11 - they loved it and we were there during the hottest month of the year. They really loved traveling to the outlying ruins a couple of hours from Angkor. We spent about 3 or 4 hours every morning with a guide, then took a couple of hours for lunch, then spent another 3 hours in the afternoon. On the two days that we spent traveling to the outlying areas, we just ate along the roadside at cafes. My children have traveled quite a bit in different parts of the world, and have been visiting museums and historical sites all their lives, so they are used to this type of sightseeing. Besides taking Malarone for malaria, and drinking bottled water, our only other precaution was to walk with knowledgeable local people in the outlying areas (far from Angkor) where the landmine clearing has not been completed.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:49 AM

Another issue that in itself poses absolutely no risk so long as you exercise minimal caution has to do with chicken flu. If you stop on the way to a ruin to see how the locals live, you will want to make sure your children do not go in any area where the chickens or their droppings might be.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:33 AM

With regard to Phi Phi, I assume you are aware that August is a the middle of the rainy season on the west coast of Thailand. I would not think this would be a great place for a family holiday, I would look at the east coast like Hua Hin or the island of Koh Samui. Cambodia is also pretty rainy in August.

The best choice would be Bali as August has virtually no rain.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Ok. Regarding the rain season, I've travelled to tropical countries a lot and my experience is that in either season I always have rainy days no matter the season, and nowadays the weather is very unpredictable. The rainy season is hotter and more humid which I prefer.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:45 AM

<i>my experience is that in either season I always have rainy days no matter the season</i>

I'm sure there is a variety of experience. I've been to Asia only once, very recently to Thailand and Cambodia during the dry season. During the three-week trip, it was only during one evening that we experienced precipitation. The rain was so light that I think I literally could have walked in between the drops had I tried. We didn't experience a drop of rain during the rest of the trip.