Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Familiar with Sedhapura by Tohsang in Ubon Ratchathani?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just stumbled upon the website for Sedhapura by Tohsang ( http://www.tohsang.com/sedhapura/eng/home.htm ) . It's in the province of Ubon Ratchathani in the East. I'm considering a visit next year but can't find much info about it. Has anyone stayed there?
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:46 PM

You sure you know how to find the places, Femi. Always one step ahead of me

This place looks fantastic--may have to add it to our short list (which has inevitably become a long list--but we'll add it nontheless.)

What's bringing you to Ubon?
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM

I've stayed there, at the Tohsang Khongjiam, before the "Sedhapura" section was built. About an hour and a half drive from Ubon town center and quite remote.

Ubon itself is a lovely town IMO and to add the Khongjiam area to trip to Ubon would be wonderful.

The owner is a lovely lady who draw her inspiration for her resorts from the wondeful villas and resorts of Ubud.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:20 PM

*that should've read: you sure DO know how to find the places.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys. Hanuman your words are encouraging!
I think I'm going back to Burma next year, and wanted to spend some time in Thailand to ease back into being in Asia. It always seems to take about 3-4 days to realise 'Wow, I'm really here!'. While I usually do this in Bangkok, I'm not really a fan of big cities. So I considered a repeat visit to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, but I thought they were just ok during my first visit. Thanks to Filmwill I looked into Pai and Mae Hong Son, but they were a bit more rustic than what I'm looking for.

I explained my dilemma to my Thai friend and she thought I would enjoy going where American military guys go on vacation. While I can't say I understand her logic (!), lo and behold it worked and the options I've discovered are Sedhapura and Kirimaya: http://www.kirimaya.com/resort/index.html

I think Sedhapura is more my style, but haven't completely ruled out a stay at Kirimaya.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 05:40 AM

Wow! You've found some great places, Femi. We've been talking about making our next trip an all-Thailand trip. I already had a long list of places I wanted to go and you've just added to it. Thanks!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM

Femi,

I've stayed at the Kirimaya several times but unless you're a golfer you will not be able to fully enjoy the resort.

Ubon offer very good value for the money on everything. 4 stars hotels, brand new Sunee Hotel for instance, with room rates around 1,400 Baht a night with breakfast and the rooms are very nice.

Lots of beautiful Wats, some Khmer ruins, ancient cave paintings, great food and near Pakse(Laos). Nice sleepy, laid back town!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM

Kathie, here's a strong vote for all Thailand...as you remember, that's what we did in December. Everyone said we were crazy, having been there so many times already. But there are so many places to discover...so many hidden gems--it's like 3 or 4 different countries in one.

I'm so jealous that all of you are going there so soon.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM

Filmwill, I've done an all Thailand trip a couple of times before. There is so much to see and do, I just never get enough.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Even though it's still a year away, I've been so excited I can hardly stand it!

Hanuman, your words are music to my ears (well, you know what I mean) I may actually spend a couple more days than I originally intended...