Reload this Page >

I don't get it!!!

Search

I don't get it!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 05:01 PM
tim

I don't get it!!!

has everyone stopped going to asia since the crisis began??No-one seems to be posting. People like poor Ursula, who answers lots of queries can't get her own one answered. I've offered to help someone in a recent query(with my real e-mail address) and got no response.Seriously, HAVE people stopped planning holidays to far flung places??

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Sarah Rey

The number of postings have deffinately dropped. But when I once in a while tune in my cable TV to CNN, CNBC or the BBC I can see that the news is so full of sorrow and bad tidings. Naturally what happened was devastating, and everyone across the world has nothing but sympathy, but certainly life in Thailand is unchanged. It is perfectly safe, nothing to worry about at all. I hope I don't get any 'flack' for saying so but maybe now is the 'time' to take a good long vacation in a get-away-from-it-all place.There is simply nothing at all to be worried about in most of Asia, certainly Thailand. Hotels 'are' reporting huge drops in bookings but the up-side is that cheap deals abound. <BR>In BKK I feel totally safe.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Andrea

Personally, I think it's because I've been on vacation! Just kidding, really, but I'm an American living in Shanghai and although I've been answering posts on this board 3-4 days a week for the past year or so, for the past month I've been really busy at work, and have been in Italy for the past 2 weeks. So it may be a just a coincidence for other people, too. <BR> <BR>P.S. Just to show you my dedication to Fodors, I logged on to the Internet while on vacation to check my work e-mail & even answered a China-related post from Siena!!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:55 AM
angie

With people making threats to kill any Amercans they see, it makes it difficult to want to travel. I am a foster parent that takes boys whose lives have been filled with violence to places to see the good in people. I don't want to endanger them by traveling somewhere that could be potentially. I've heard that there is flag burning and major protesting going on in Chiang mai Thailand. I am postponing my trip because I can't risk these boy's lives. It wouldn't even be be fun if lots of protestors accosted us. Tight now may not be a good travelling time. Angie

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 12:19 PM
taurus

Tim <BR>We are leaving on Saturday 10/28 for Hong kong, Bangkok, Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. I would like to know where Angie got her information with regard to Chiang Mai re "flag burning and major protesting". We have not heard or seen anything re flag burning and also checked with travel company etc. and we can find no confirmation that supports her statement. <BR>Angie - where did your information come from??

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Sarah Rey

I am in BKK so I hope I can clarify for you. There was a 'small' demo in Chiang Mai but it was only minor. There have been demos even in Australia and Europe, it is certainly nothing at all to worry about and certainly non-violent. Dare I say that I think Angie should take her vacation, Thailand is a very very safe place and there is nothing to worry about at all. 'If' I were a parent in the U.S I would not hesitate a single moment in comming. Thailand is a 'far far less violent' society, it cannot ever be compared. Now surely more than ever is the time for youngster to 'see the world' and they will learn more in a couple of weeks than 10 years behind a school desk. I sure others can word this better than I, but you cannot react to the actions of a handfull of idiots and charge a nation or its people. I recently spent 4 days in Malaysia and even there not for a second was I at all concerned. Now, spend a few days in Western capitals and I 'am concerned' about my safety. I don't throw 'common sense to the wind' but I am sure many would agree that there are no realistic problems to worry about at all. <BR>Do let these youngsters experience the culture and sheer friendliness of the people of Thailand, I am sure you will all go home glad that you made the trip! <BR>Angie...don't worry, it's fine!

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am confused. I log onto this forum and everyone is sharing their travel experiences and tips (which I love) and then I see the news or receive my emails from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade's Smartraveller advisory service that warns me of caution to travel to Thailand and Malaysia.

Thailand: High degree of caution
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...dvice/Thailand

Malaysia: Exercise caution
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...dvice/Malaysia

I understand that any place you go you have to be careful. But, what is the real story? How safe is it to go to KL, Phuket, Bangkok? I am concerned as my husband and I are off to Asia for the 2nd time in December.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Wow, Zoey, you sure did find an old thread to tag onto!

I'm from the US, and my experience is that the US State department warnings are more about politics than about real hazards. I feel like I'm safer in Asia than in Seattle!

I go to Asia every year, and am off to Asia again in November. One should always exercise common sense, but violent crime is less frequent in the countries you are going to than in most weatern countries. As far as terrorism is concerned, the point of terrorism is to be unpredictable.

I consider KL, Bangkok and Phuket to all be quite safe. That said, only you can decide what is comfortable for you.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM

WOW!!!!
Garbage like this is just not helpful to anyone.
I make at least two trips a year to the Far East, I have two sons, who between them visit even more. Our experiences of SEA, go back more than twenty years. We live in London,and love to travel.
Wild horses and a promise of eternal life could not persuade me to visit the USA again because I don't feel safe there.

Kathie makes the point very clearly.....decide for yourself.

Oh, and my opinions about the USA apply equally to GB, just in case anyone thinks this is an anti USA rant.

Thailand is a safe destination, as is most of SEA.(Normal rules apply) you know......just a little bit of common sense and respect for your host!!!
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Huh? Why has this old thread been pulled up? Plus, it's obvious that the Asia board ia alive and jumping. Happy Travels!