Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Thailand in August? (rain question)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good day, Fellow Fodorites!
I am planning a trip to Thailand for my family of 5 (me, husband, 21, 16 and 14 year old), and it will be our first visit to Thailand for all of us. Due to scheduling issues (college/school), we have nine days on the ground in late August (August 22 onwards). I have narrowed down our visit to Bangkok, Chang Mai, and a beach resort (potentially Koi Sumui). The research I have done indicates that June through September is considered monsoon season with some parts of the country experiencing torrential downpours. Also, the beaches are categorized separately with some areas getting less rain than others in this time frame. Having said all of that (didn't want you to think I have not done any research lol), would love to hear from folks who have traveled in the region during late August and how crippling the monsoons are. We would be doing sightseeing in Bangkok, do some hiking and traipsing through forests in Chang Mai and getting pampered on the beach. Since this will be a big ticket trip for us (air fare itself from the US yikes) I would like to make an informed decision.
Thank you!
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:02 AM

I have been in August and it is not the best time, in the north itbis just about the wettest time of the year and I would not recommend "hiking and traipsing through forests in Chang Mai" just too wet.

Koh Samuel should be be ok as a beach destination and Bangkok will likely be pretty wet at that time - there have been pretty serious floods at that time in previous years.

If great weather is your priority, then I would consider Bali or Borneo, although both are a long trip from the US for 9 days.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you crellston appreciate the response.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 01:57 PM

I’ve been specifically to Bangkok and Singapore in August several times in the past. I’ve found that the weather can be temperamental and anything from days with no rain to light rain to heavy pouring rain. But, I usually experienced the heavy downpours to not last that long. It wasn’t like it was heavy downpours, non-stop, all day. It definitely wouldn't stop me from going if that were the only time that I could go. However, I annually spend Dec-Feb in the region, of which 3 weeks are in Bangkok, and the weather is great then as far as I'm concerned. As for a plan of 3 locations in only 9 days in Thailand? I wouldn't plan 3 locations in that short amount of time and have been going there for 20 years and know my way around and through the system of doing things. Thailand is a great place to slow down and absorb the culture and not just go from place to place to tick off stuff to see in a whirlwind and also waste a lot of time transferring from place to place and waiting for 3PM hotel check in times.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Mar 8th, 2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Guenmai your comments are very helpful, thank you. With school schedules to worry about, the Dec-Feb timeframe is out unfortunately. Looks like the answer is to try and get more days or reduce the locations. What islands have you visited and your favorite? My children love the water, snorkeling and Thai food. Although the Thai food in Northeast US may be very different to local Thai food
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 06:07 PM

You might want to check the website: https://www.travelfish.org/
I found it useful when planning my South East Asia adventure.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by KaneezM
Guenmai your comments are very helpful, thank you. With school schedules to worry about, the Dec-Feb timeframe is out unfortunately. Looks like the answer is to try and get more days or reduce the locations. What islands have you visited and your favorite? My children love the water, snorkeling and Thai food. Although the Thai food in Northeast US may be very different to local Thai food

* It's unfortunate that the winter-month schedule is out for you as Bangkok is great at the Christmas/New Year time when all of the gorgeous decorations are up and it's incredibly festive.
*Even if you could get a few more days, I'd personally still reduce the amount of places to visit. I'd keep it to two places and not waste valuable time. Plus, there's the jetlag to deal with and also possible stomach sickness as one never knows. I would not recommend drinking tap water. I'm personally very careful about water.
* As for islands, I haven't visited the islands. I get enough ocean/beach time here in L.A. year round, so when I get to Thailand, I like to be in Bangkok although I've also been to Chiangmai and other areas, located a couple hours outside of Bangkok. So, sorry that I can't help you with the islands.
* As for Thai food, there's a lot of variety in Bangkok. I love Thai food and have been eating it for decades here at home and thank goodness that the largest population of Thais, live here in L.A. County and I also have Thai friends who own restaurants. Thai food everywhere.

When I get to Bangkok, sometimes I want to eat other types of food, but the Thai food in Bangkok can be very different from restaurant to restaurant and eatery to eatery as there are different styles depending on from which region of Thailand the cooking is coming. But, in Bangkok, one gets a mixture of about everything as well as here at home. Just be careful of the amount of chillies in the food if you're not used to them. I like hot food, so I'm usually fine, but in comparison to what you might be used to in the northeast with Thai food, in Thailand the food can be quite hot/spicy, even if you ask for it to be mild as your definiton of mild might not be the Thai definition of mild and especially if you're eating in places where there are a lot of locals.

* Hope this info has helped. I'm sure you'll have an exciting and fullfilling trip. Just remember that often times, less is more and less can be more memorable.

Happy Travels!
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 12:04 PM

this interactive map gives a very good idea of potential rainfall in both regions and times year.
https://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

The amount varies quite a lot from are to area

One thing worth noting is that Kanchanaburi is considerably drier than Chiang May in August so this might prove better for any jungle/nature experiences.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 03:02 AM

I was in Thailand previous august. forecast was rainy every day. but in fact was only two times cloudy. we were 2- BBK, 2 Phu, 3 Phi-Phi, and 5 Samui days. the weather was excellent, but way between places is difficult.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by KaneezM
Guenmai With school schedules to worry about, the Dec-Feb timeframe is out unfortunately. My children love the water, snorkeling and Thai food. Although the Thai food in Northeast US may be very different to local Thai food

What about the Christmas break? That's when we're going this year, flying to Kuala Lumpur first for a few days and then on to Phuket for two weeks. The weather is better durnig that time. I've been to Krabi/Phuket in August and experienced heavy downpours but not for very long although there was one day that was a total washout and rained hard pretty much all day. Bangkok, was similar, short but heavy downpours but with Bangkok it's easy to get out of the rain.

The food will also be hotter and spicier than what you're experienced to in the Northeast US. I've eaten Thai in the US and it is not the same as in Thailand (it never is). They will tone it down for Western palates on request but even then, they're perception of toned down is invariably different to ours.

Last edited by jc_uk; Mar 17th, 2019 at 10:15 AM.