Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Any things to Book in advance in Tokyo and Kyoto

Mar 7th, 2019, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Is there any Restaurant or attraction that we have to book in advance.
I found out for example Mazda Museum in Hiroshima you must book few months in advance.

Please reply anyone with information
Mar 7th, 2019, 06:51 AM

I don't eat in restaurants that need to be booked in advance so can't comment on that. However, there are many attractions that need/can be booked ahead such as sumo, kabuki, museums such as Yayoi Kusama and Ghibli and some of the Imperial Household sites....
Mar 7th, 2019, 09:37 PM

The Suntory Yamazaki whiskey distillery. (Near Kyoto)
Mar 14th, 2019, 09:47 AM

If you plan to eat at the famous well-reviewed Michelin-starred restaurants, you need to book ahead, sometimes even months ahead. Some restaurants take reservations for foreigners only from hotel concierges. But this is only necessary for certain specific restaurants, not most restaurants. Sometimes you must give a credit card in order to book. Again, only for a fraction of restaurants, but you should know so you will not be disappointed if you have a specific place you would like to dine.
Mar 17th, 2019, 11:49 PM

Ghibli REALLY needs to be booked in advance if you have any interest. I missed out and Iím super bummed about that. I just didnít listen to all of the warnings, and thought Iíd be able to book a week ahead.

i think it really depends what you want to do restaurant wise. I ate at an amazing multiple course place in Kyoto that I think I only got into a month ahead of time because I was flexible and single. I also got into the mandarin oriental michelin place at the last moment for the same reason. So if I were a ďWeĒ, Iíd make that a priority.

But thereís tons of great food in both Tokyo and Kyoto you canít book in advance, and youíll not go hungry if you donít.

I will say: itís really nice to have a few places researched and booked to look forward to. Itís easy to find great cheap food. A little harder to find really good local/nicer restaurants, and Japan is one of the few places Iíd probably spend the money for a hotel with a concierge for that reason, if I wasnít traveling solo.
Mar 18th, 2019, 12:33 AM

Jiro Ono's sushi. Jiro is the senpai of sushi and he has a little and exclusive restaurant you should reserve a table. Good luck with it!