Any suggestions for a beach holiday in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to visit my son and his family in Hong Kong in early December and thought we would have a beach holiday as well.Thailand seems the best place but we are not sure which resort to stay in. We have not visited Thailand before and are open to all suggestions.

So far Khao Lak has been suggested and we have looked at the La Flora Resort. We are a couple in our 60's and like a reasonable area with restaurants and possibly a few shops we can walk to in the evenings. We are looking for a four star hotel,on the beach and with a swimming pool.

All help and advice would be much appreciated
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM

You might enjoy Phuket. Resorts on Kata Beach and also Kata Noi Beach would be in good locations for you, for dining and evening strolls.

Mom Tri's Boat House on Kata Beach is nice. I stayed there about 10 years ago. It is right on the beach, has a pool, and has great dining options, and also lots to do right outside the door.

On Kata Noi, take a look at the Kata Thani Resort. You 'could' walk up/down the hill from the KataThani to Kata Beach, but you'd probably want a taxi or tsongtau (truck with benches in the back) to take you back and forth. KataThani is a lovely resort, but when I was there in 2006 (which was just post-tsunami) they were still developing the shops and eating places along the beach road. By now, this might be just what you are looking for! Otherwise, the taxi to Kata Beach would, for sure, give you plenty of options. It's a very short ride. Just hilly...

You will be arriving at the start of peak season, so prices will be higher than at other times of the year. But Phuket weather is really fantastic in December! Some of the resorts will already be filling up, perhaps.

Have a great time!

Carol
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM

i love khao lak and have stayed at both the marriott and meridien....both are issolated with no walking options to restaurants.... the jw marriott has a fantastic offering this year with prices around $100 for AAA members...

may i suggest that you look at the sheraton krabi as it has a few restaurants within walking distance... we really like it.

hua hin is another nice alternative to the usual beach locations and is a taxi ride from the bkk airport...

do not consider pattaya!

a stay at one of the nice hotels in bkk can be like a beach vacation too if they have a nice pool: marriott resort and spa, converting to anantara in november, 2011---chatrium riverside---royal orchid sheraton--- shangri-la---ibis----sheraton grande--- marriott mayfair---- i suggest all of these because of their very nice pools...
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:35 PM

betterbidding.com JW Marriott for me from $50 bidding priceline

join marriott.com preferred guest program for free they

will even upgrade you to club floors and free food if booked.

Otel.com booking.com if u do not want to bid.

Zolitude good if money no object...

Happy Planning!
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:37 PM

www.villazolitude.com
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks now looking at Krabi
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Krabi is a great choice! The scenery is fantastic, and a day trip to the outer islands is a great way to spend some of your relaxation time.
Carol