Search

Tipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping

I have read several posts regarding tipping in restaurants and hotels in Thailand and Cambodia. What is customary in regards to tipping for private tour guides and drivers?

Also for example, we are staying a the Anantara and have booked an excursion with them. Do we tip the driver and guide separately or will a "service charge" be added to our bill as restaurants frequently will?
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 04:15 PM

anything booked through a hotel will usually have a service charge/tip added to it.... but a tour may be different... ask the hotel before the tour... tell your guide that a tip is included if that is true, so they don't think you did not like their service...

tipping in thailand is optional really. i always tip like i do in usa... especially for tour guides/drivers... if i am happy that is...
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 01:54 AM

Tipping is not required at high end hotels and restaurants where they add the 10% service charge. According to Condé Nast Traveler Etiquette 101: The Tipping Guide, tipping in Thailand is suggested as follows:

At Restaurants: About $1 per diner for the waiter.

At Hotels: About $1–$2 per bag for the porter; no tip necessary for the housekeeper or the concierge (service charges are included at hotels of two stars or above).

Guides and Drivers: About $1 for taxis; $2 per hour for private drivers; $10–$20 per person per day for tour guides (who also tip tour drivers, so don't worry about that).

Who Else?: If you ever find yourself at a local masseuse, a three-dollar tip at the end of the massage is about right.

Dollars Accepted?: Yes, preferably two-dollar bills (see Cambodia).

Note: A common feature in Thailand is the ubiquitous bathroom attendant. Some of them might even throw a towel over a man's shoulders while he's at the urinal. Fifty cents, or about 20 baht, should do it there. It's also common to get a hot towel and drink upon checking into a nice hotel, but no tip is necessary, as the service is included.

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/...7?pageNumber=6

This is a very contentious topic on the previous board, so, even if you disagree with the above, please show civility, courtesy and consideration to others' opinion when discusing this issue.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 02:10 AM

If tip is not included in service charge

usually is with food not too much else

10% for acceptable service

15% for outstanding service

0% for unacceptable service.

Always try to remember my hotel roomkeepers woefully

underpaid and forgotten about by many guests.

Always try to leave them a good tip daily

really keeps my room spic and span...
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 08:41 AM

Kalil, I'm surprised to see you quoting Conde Nast.

If you choose to tip, I always say to tip in the local currency (except in Cambodia where the preferred currency is the US dollar).

Also, I do always tip the housekeeping staff. Like qw, I see then as woefully underpaid.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM

I always tip the housekeeping staff as well, typically 100 baht each day. I always get a thank you from them, so I know it's appreciated. My apartment gets cleaned almost as soon as I post the "clean my room" sign on the door. Rarely do I come back in an hour or so and find my apartment not yet serviced.

I also leave my unused skytrain ticket for the housekeeper when I'm checking out. Who knows how much opportunity the staff has to ride the BTS. It's something I'm not going to finish off, and I can't save it until my next visit as it has an expiry time limit on it. Sometimes I might leave as many as 8 - 10 rides left on the ticket. I'm happy to share them!

I am a pretty good tipper, as a rule. I'm sure that 99% of the people who have a self service breakfast buffet (included with hotel rate) do not leave a tip. I leave one by my coffee cup every morning.

I stay in a serviced apartment building, not in a big chain hotel. The staff all remember me, as I've been staying at the same place since it opened several years ago, and I'm in Bangkok at least 3 times per year, often more than that.

In my experience, yes, tipping is something I always do. Wait staff, taxi drivers, hairdresser, porter/doorman, the person who carries my heavy packages to the taxi stand (at the weekend market), etc.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM

I should clarify that the doorman/porter gets tips when I am coming and going with luggage... not everyday! Or, if I have those heavy packages from the weekend market and he carries them up to my apartment, a tip is in order then as well.