Answer my visa questions please!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering if anyone would not mind answering some questions about visas for southern asia and india. my email is [email protected], i would appreciate any help, thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM

You'll get a quicker reply here rather than waiting for emails to come to you.

We would need to know your citizenship and specific countries that you have questions about.

Since you mentioned India, if you are a US citizen a visa for India is REQUIRED.

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Jaya is right, ask your questions here. Tell us what country's passport you are traveling under and which countries you wish to visit. You've tagged your message VN and a visa in advance is required.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Hi,
With the visa vietnam, it is not difficult to make it, but what is your nationality?
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the resposnses, i was wondering about visa on arrivals in vietnam and thailand, i am american by the way. im flying into beijing in two weeks, just got my visa for that. but then i am going to fly into hanoi and then into bangkok. do i need to obtain these visas before i go or can i get one arrival...if so whats the best way of doing so?
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM

You can't get a visia upon arrival in Vietnam. it needs to be arranged beforehand. If you're leaving home in two weeks, you'll ddefinitely need to do a rush visa or else try in Beijing.

Bangkok you just go in if your're American.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM

I would not risk going to ANY country without obtaining the requisite visa in advance!

In the old days, some countries allowed you to obtain a transit or tourist visit at the airport, but no more.

Indian visas are obtained through the Consulate General's Office in the US. They have a few locations throughout the US and you contact the one that serves the state you live in (that info is on their website).

You may need to go in person to get your remaining visas if you're leaving so soon or ask if they will expedite and do overnight delivery service.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM

The visa for VN must be arranged ahead of time.

You have three options:

one, get your visa from the VN consulate in the US. Time is short, as Lcuy says.

two, get your VN visa in Beijing. It will take up some of your time in Beijing, I don't know how complicated it is in Beijing.

three, get a pre-arranged visa though one of the VN travel agencies. vietnamstay.com is one that has been used by a number of people on this site, though there are many others. You pay for a pre-arranged visa and you get an email confirmation. You must carry this with you. You will not be allowed on a plane into VN if you don't have either the visa in your passport or the email confirmation of your pre-arranged visa. WHen you get off the plane in Hanoi, you go to a desk to have the visa put in your passport and you pay a $25 "stamping fee."

As lcuy says, you get visa-free entry into Thailand. You'll go through immigration and will get a passport stamp - no cost.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys/girls so much for the 411. This is my first Asia trip, cant wait! One more question though: Do i want visa on arrival or the visa approval code if i want to get stamped at the airport, kinda confused on which one. Any advice or tips or things to do in either vietnam or thailand please pass on, thanks again! Kathie, thanks for the link!
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM

There is no such thing as visa on arrival for VN. You must have a pre-arranged visa if you don't get one from the consulate in advance. After you arrange for and pay for a visa through one of the travel agencies, you'll get an email with the details on your visa. You must bring this with you, and you'll get your visa put into your passport and get it stamped ($25) at the airport in Hanoi.

Do you have guidebooks yet? Have you read any of the many trip reports here for the places you are visiting?

If you give us more info on how long you have in VN and Thailand and which locations you'll be visiting plus info on your interests, we can be helpful. But we aren't a substitute for good guidebooks.