Vietnam change in visa policy?

Dec 31st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Vietnam change in visa policy?

I am receiving conflicting information concerning obtaining a visa for Vietnam. I notice on these boards it has not been written about in over a year. I just called the embassy in DC and the current cost is $65 for 30 days. My trip time is getting close and I am nervous about sending my original passport away. I am confused about the possiblity of getting a visa upon arrival in Vietnam. One blog I read said you can't even board the plane without your visa in hand. Any updated information would be so appreciated.
Dec 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
cwn

Send your passport to Washington. Follow the mailing instructions given with the form on the internet. We just got our VN visas from the embassy in Washington...very easy and fast!

Filled out the forms, mailed as instructed on first Saturday this month and they were back in our hands on the next Friday all ready to go, just a seven day turn around! My husband was able to track their progress too. That is the way to do it, for my money.

I understand you can get a visa confirmation through a VN travel agent and then get the stamp on arrival. This sounded too iffy to us and seemed a bit more involved. We did not want to worry about having some mix up at departure or arrival. Yes, you can not board the plane to VN, with out a visa. That is stated on our Etickets.
Dec 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input, CWN. Since you were so successful, I will follow your lead.
Dec 31st, 2008, 10:04 AM
cwn

You are welcome.

One more thing...I don't know how flexible you plans are, but if there is any question about the timing in you trip, get the entry date a little before the actual date you plan to fly in. You will not be able to enter VN untill the date on the visa.

Have a good trip!
Dec 31st, 2008, 05:46 PM

Visa on arrival is (or was) only an option for arrivals in Danang. For any other port of entry you need a visa before you get on the plane.
Dec 31st, 2008, 05:52 PM

I also sent in my passport and got it back very quickly. Of course, I sent it certified so it could be tracked.

One of my travel partners had a paper visa that was not attached in her passport. It was lost and created some problems upon arrival. Well, problems for her, dinner money for the immigration agent!