Andon Ryokan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andon Ryokan

Hi!

Has anyone stayed at the Andon Ryokan?

More specifically, how is the area? What is the ryokan/hotel like?

Regards,
Peter
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:26 AM

hi,

i was at andon ryokan in march 04. da service was very unprofessional & pathetic. i was shocked to find my reservation undone even after i had it made a month earlier. & worst of it, i had even made a call 2 days earlier for my confirmation. da 2 front service men (yasu & michi) were very unapologetic about it & one of them was even rude to me. they are so lack of discipline. da whole terrible situation just ruined the image of dis pretty good looking ryokan. years of travelling, i was stunned to view a bad service especially coming from japanese. the area was quite unaccesible. u cud stay if ur main aim is to travel around ueno, akihabara or asakusa. i did enjoy da free dvd library & private jacuzzi tho. cheers.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Wow, that's a pretty harsh review.

How many minutes (approximately) does it take to walk from minwoa subway station to Andon? Also, what did you think of the rooms and the bathrooms? Clean? Nice?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:52 AM

hi peter,

its about 10mins walk from minowa to andon. expect to get a little lost if its ur first time der. rooms are super small. about 10ft by 5ft, and contains a futon which folds out to pretty much fill the room and there's a tv with dvd player to watch - the ryokan allows you to borrow dvds free of charge. bathrooms are clean but ur not allowed to shower from 11am to 3pm. i find dat absurd.
are u thinking to stay anywhere else beside this area?
cheers,
su
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Ok. My image of Andon was pretty bright but now I'm having second thoughts. What did you think of the surroundings?

Me and a friend are going to stay in Tokyo for two weeks in August. We thought that we would book two hotels. One for each week.

The other hotels we have checked out are:

Marroad Inn Akasaka (hotel in Akasaka)

Toyoko Inn Kabuki-cho (hotel in Shinjuku)

Roppongi Homes (serviced apartment in Roppongi)

Any comments about these hotels? Any area of Tokyo you would like to recommend?

Cheers!
Peter
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 09:00 AM

hi peter,

there was a hotel that i had actually booked. i didn't get to stay in it because my fren offered me her room. http://www.worldgroupjapan.com/yadoyahome.htm
its the cheapest i could fine with a good location. it's located at nakano station. a pretty fine location which is just 3-4 train stops from shinjuku. the guesthouse is run by friendly people.
other places u cud get pretty decent & cheap lodgings are at ikebukuro. have u heard of kimi ryokan? its quite a popular ryokan and the staff speak good english. www.kimi-ryokan.jp
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 09:06 AM

hi,

its better to stay very near to shinjuku (the main hub) to avoid wasting time & money on travelling. by the way, the pics on the andon website are pretty deceiving. as the place is not as big as it looks & its smack in the middle of a quiet residential area. its a long ride to shinjuku. cheers!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 02:54 AM

Hi Peter

My wife and I have stayed at the Andon twice and have thoroughly enjoyed both the hospitality and the service. It is possible that either Michio or Yasu were having a bad day - nevertheless I have to disagree with what the other guest said to you. I stayed there when they first opened last June - there were some teething pains then - but they did not lose my reservation. Moreover, my wife and I came in unannounced earlier this month; they were able to accomodate us. More interestingly, Michio remembered us after 10 months.

The comments about the rooms being small are true - it's Japanese style, so the rooms just about big enough to roll out the futon. Everything about the place is small (the wide angle lens used for the photos make it look bigger). The building seems to take up all of a small plot of land. Still, the building itself is new and after a year still looks new. I personally think it's nice. I believe the no shower rule in the afternoon is because this is when the owner cleans the bathrooms.

The location is basically in a residential neighborhood so in order to get to any of the usual tourist places you would have to get to Minowa station to go elsewhere. However, if you like to see local things there is an enclosed shopping street about five minutes away from Minowa station in the opposite direction from the Andon. Just be prepared to point a lot and be patient because this is not a part of Tokyo where there will be a lot of English speakers.

I think that the Andon deserves at least a look. It cannot be altogether that bad - evidently it is picking up regular repeat guests from the US, Australia and all over Europe. The two times I stayed there it was always a crowd of people checking in.

Look, it's just my opinion. If you are going to be in Tokyo, go on over just for a look - the worst that can happen is that you get to walk around a local neighborhood. Just don't expect things (either the neighborhood or the Andon)to be the same as home, wherever home is for you - Japan surely isn't Kansas.

Cheers
Sherman
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:34 AM

This is Andon Ryokan Tokyo.

We still remember ro4ch stayed here.
And we apologize about we made them uncomfortable here with Andon Ryokan.

But even we made their inconvenience, there was so many incollect information by ro4ch.

<Access>
On Hibiya-line Minowa station,you can access to:
# Tukigi
# Akihabara
# Ginza
# Ueno
# Roppongi
and you can walk by 20-30 minute to the traditional down town ASAKUSA.

If you preffer without those access,it might better to find your accomodation close from Shinjuku/Shibuya area.

For the best quiet neighborhood,we made out accomodation not beside main street.So it might takes 10 minute for the first time even with the map on our web page.

<Room size>

It is 5 Tatami size
(around 8 quare meters) for all of our rooms.
As ro4ch sais 10*5 foot is 4.6 square meters.

We do not talk here about what ro4ch had their experience here with us but the one of reason is they had not shown on their exsimated arriving time with no information.

<for arriving time>
We normaly wait for more 2 hours by the arrival time even there is no information.
And we are asking our guest about this on our comfirmatino mail.

<shower room>
As we built and start Andon since June 2003,it have to be very cared for humidity, so we are asking to close our shower room between 11AM - 3PM for those cleaning and drying.

Thank you for sherman's comment and apologize again for ro4ch's incomvenience here with Andon Ryokan.

If you have any questions, please mail us to [email protected]

Best Regards

Michi