Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza Galleria or Holiday Inn Galleria Hotel in Manila?

May 17th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Galleria, lst time in 2005 and was happy with hotel but traveling to Manila for Christmas but not sure if Holiday Inn Galleria has been maintained nicely so thinking about the newer and more expensive Crowne Plaza Galleria, also next to the Robinson's Mall. Which hotel would be a better choice? Also, some sites show Crowne Plaza having a guest self-laundry facilities and other sites don't mention this... does anyone know if this hotel really has a laundromat for guests? Thanks!
May 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM

I used to have a membership at Holiday Inn Galleria and have stayed at both Crowne and Holiday Inn. The laundry at Crowne is the usual hotel laundry and is not self-service. Although Holiday Inn has undergone some renovations, I think Crowne is still better. The two hotels share the same pool, though. However, if your booking includes free breakfast, I think the 7Corners resto at Crowne would have a better spread than Fab at Holiday Inn.
May 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, darna! Very helpful advice. I e-mailed the Crowne directly to inquire about their self-laundry facilities because it didn't sound right but no reply after several weeks. The Crowne is promoted as a business hotel vs The HI Galleria as a family hotel -- do you think Crowne Plaza isjust as suitable for mother and daughter? I've been researching rates for both hotels and hopefully will find a nice deal that includes breakfast as well. I also e-mailed Priority Privilege (not sure if this is the membership you had before) -- for $100+ you get discounts and offers at both hotels... but also no response after over a week... I just asked if this card was open to US residents or just for Phil. residents. anyway, thanks for your insights!
May 20th, 2007, 01:13 AM

The bath at Crowne Plaza Galleria has a shower stall separate from the tub, unlike at Holiday Inn where the shower is also in the tub. Sure it's also suitable for family. Have you checked-out EDSA Shangrila? They have a bigger pool there with a jacuzzi. I hope you enjoy your stay in our country. When do you plan to go anyway?
May 20th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Have not stayed in the CP but have made the HI Galleria our home in Manila for the past 7 years or so. www.ichotelsgroup.com. I usually get my info on line then call them directly for clarification. They will not be able to give you internet rates BUT will be able to note down any of your special requests.

Priority Club membership is free as far as I can remember - we have Club Level which we got after our first stay there many years ago. You can check out the benefits of their different levels in their website. You can fast tract to the Gold Elite Status for $50 . I have not seen any need for us to pay that since the usual HI we use is in Mla .

They were renovating the lobby & resto of the HI Galleria during the entire week we were there last year & shared CP's breakfast place called 7 Corners while they were working on the FAB ,which was named something else before.

I know it's managed by the same good people. We've booked the deluxe room with breakfast & we get the room with 2 queen sized beds & have also gotten the 2 BR suite with 2 King beds with large living room & received complimentary brekkie for all of our 3 children- we don't even ask for it anymore.

We usually use a private laundry service across the street. We call the staff, they come & pick up the clothes & then drop it back off to our room in a day or 2. I have called them late at night & have had our clothes picked up after hours. Security calls us to verify if we are expecting them & when we confirm, they are sent to our room. Have never used the hotel laundry service as it would be cheaper to buy new items in the adjoining mall than have them laundered or dry cleaned !

I just checked the rates & there's a bit of a difference between their deluxe rooms- it's a whole lot more expensive for their suites though. Club Floor might be worth checking out with their all day F&B offers.

Have also stayed at the EDSA Shang & although I thoroughly agree with Darna about their gorgeous pool & resort like feel as well as the best massage I have received from a spa in Manila -from a registered Physical Therapist - the rooms are about half the size of the ones in HI. Also, although we stayed at the Shang for 3 days, it did not seem like anyone knew we were there. It was just too big with too many walk in people- the staff could not differentiate between hotel guests & guests who were there just for a meal or a convention etc.

I go back to HI Galleria for the service among other things-- the second time we returned- my husband was addressed by name when they opened the car door for him- Boy, were my kids impressed ! Upon checking in, the housekeeper said "Welcome Back ,Maam !" Everyone from Concierge to security to F&B to Housekeeping recognized us as repeat residents. F&B breakfast staff has called us up in the past & asked what time we were planning to come down so they could set up our table with our newspaper & hot coffee & tea ready when we step into the resto. That is great service I still have to experience else where.

Hope you have a great time !
May 20th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks darna and bmttokyo! Really appreciate what you shared....Bmttokyo, do you remember the name of the laundromat you call to pick up your laundry? The last time we stayed at the HI Galleria, we used hotel laundry service a lot and it was costly.
May 21st, 2007, 02:16 AM

It's called Plaza Laundry- phone number-
687-3273, Look for Eva or Gloria. They are located in the building across the street from HI. Hope this helps.
May 21st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

bmttokyo --- thannks much for this tip! Aloha!
May 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

bmttokyo! Thanks again for this recommendation... I asked my niece to contact Plaza Laundry and they are so reasonable compared to hotel laundry service at both hotels and still offer pick up and delivery.
May 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM

Let me know how it goes so I can commend them when I use them again this summer.
May 23rd, 2007, 02:57 PM

Although the rooms are good, I would not recommend eating in both hotel's restaurants though.. I find the 7 corners buffet does not deliver compared to the price they are charging. Better off going to Galleria Mall ( connecting besides the hotels) and try the different restos there. Or if you are into hotel food. Edsa shangrila hotel is one of the best.
May 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM

I agree with previous poster. the only meal i have at HI is the buffet included in the room package. I find hotel food too overpriced most anywhere. There are lot of eating in Galleria, tons in Megamall & still more in Podium for a litlle fancier & pricier fares.
May 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, littledot78 and bmttokyo!

By the way, bmttokyo --- looks like you're heading to Manila before me... I'm scheduled to go for the Christmas and New Year holidays! If you remember, please post feedback and anything else you can think of when you get back! Are you staying at the HI Galleria again or trying the Crowne Plaza Galleria this summer?

littledot78: is it true the buffet price at 7 Corners is 950 pesos + taxes p/p for breakfast, lunch or dinner (that didn't sound right)?
May 24th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Vrite,

There's at least a $30 ++ difference between both hotels so I think we'll stay put in HI since I am very satisfied with the service we get there. Am looking forward to the day ithe rooms get renovated though........

Like I said all my HI breakfasts have been included in my room rate but I wouldn't be surprised with the P1000++/pax charge. However, there are many other establishments close by where you can have a great dinner.

I'll try to remember to post a report when I return.

Hope you have a great visit.
May 27th, 2007, 04:56 AM

If you have a Citibank Credit Card (or know someone who does), I read about a promo they have running up to March 31, 2008 for P5,500/night stay in a Deluxe Room at Crowne Plaza using your Citibank Credit Card to pay for the room. Requirement is minimum of 2 nights from Friday-Sunday nights only. Rate is inclusive of buffet breakfast for 2 at 7 Corners Restaurant and Dimsum lunch buffet for 2 at Xin Tian Di Restaurant. I think that's a pretty good deal. I tried calling-up Citibank to find out if this is applicable for Citibank cards issued anywhere in the world but couldn't get anyone on the phone at the moment. I also checked their website but it's not yet updated as some of the posts there have already expired.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks darna! The best deals that I found from reputable online hotel reservation sites offer deluxe room at the Crowne Plaza or HI Galleria with breakfast included for $121 per night in Dec/Jan and another site's rates are $112 per night. I'll keep looking....but thanks for checking the Citibank visa offer (unfortunately, I don't have a Citibank visa and looks like that offer is for local visa cardholders). If yu think of any other tips later, please post!
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:25 AM

hmm if its 1,000 plus then i wouldnt recommend it! I had a friend who ate there who said it wasnt good. plus i ordered a salmon sandwich once at the crown plaza and i didnt like it! Good restaurants near your area will be edsa shangrila buffet - heat, In podium mall - try florabels, dome, Robinsons galleria - mr. Choi is always full!, and if you are going food tripping try la cocina de tita moning at malacanang area ( its this old house where you can dine like the filipino aristocrats of the 1800 ), je suiss gourmand for french food, cyma ( greek ), dencios ( typical fil food), reyes barbecue.. and many more that i cant remember . And another suggestion, try a walking tour..check out carlos celdran walking tours or this ivan mandy tour guide on the net. I tried carlos' intramuros tour and it was great! he charges 500 per head exclusive of entrance fees but its worth it. then you get a free ride to the cocina de tita moning afterwards.
Aug 12th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks littledot... sorry, haven't checked this forum in a while and only ready your reply tonight. Finally booked Crowne Plaza Galleria for long-stay and will be spending Christmas and New Year's in Manila, yay!!! Worried about the consistently bad feeback about the Crowne Plaza Galleria front desk staff.... I'll check the Intramuros tour you suggested, sounds like a good one! Also appreciate restaurant suggestions. Will take advantage of breakfast buffet included with our hotel room but being food-oriented travellers, will try other spots for sure. Any other suggestions welcome!

I'm also running out of ideas for pasalubong items to bring back for family and friends!

bmttokyo: Have you returned to Manila this summer?
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:31 AM

What type of food do you prefer and around what areas do you plan to go? Any budget range for meals? Are you referring to pasalubong from here to your family and friends there or the other way around? BTW, the last time our family stayed at the Crowne Plaza (sometime in 2004), the front desk staff were very helpful. They even offered to fill-out the Priority Club membership form for me so that our stay will earn points. That reminds me, why don't you visit the Priority Club website www.priorityclub.com and enrol yourself. You can earn points which you can use for rewards which include mileage, free hotel stays and retail certificates. It may take a while to earn all those points, but since points never expire, you won't be in a rush. Besides, membership is free.
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi darna (love that user name)! Thanks for your reply. I'm actually a Priority Club member but don't really travel a lot (except Vegas!) so after a lot of rate comparisons, I decided to take advantage of cheaper all inclusive rates by booking through Philippine Hotel Reservations Service (PHRS) in Manila. I'm more concerned about savings future benefits. I've always been happy with the HI Galleria but wanted to try something different this trip .... and I've always liked the convenience of being under the same roof as the mall. Thanks for sharing your family's positive Crowne Plaza front desk experience. I was even thinking of the $20 trick at check-in which I tried only once in Vegas and worked (got us an upgrade -- but then again it was August and room availability in Vegas in August is not a problem)... but have never done this in Manila and don't feel good about starting now ... and not sure if it will work since I've never heard about this practice being done there.

During my last visit, we were treated to the Sunday lunch buffet at the EDSA Shangri La Hotel and it was really good so I don't mind going back. I would like to eat good Filipino food. I would also like to try Indian food. I've been checking out Pinoy food blog sites but I know Christmastime will be very hectic i Manila and the traffic will be worse so we won't be able to go everywhere we'd like to and since we're staying in the Ortigas area, it's hard to venture to Makati. Most of the time, we probably would just end up eating in the restaurants in the malls.

I'm concerned about pasalubong from the US. I always bring the usual macadamia nut treats from Hawaii but this trip will be a surprise so I have to figure out what other useful generic gifts aside from foodstuff to bring for adults on this trip. Cosmetics? Lotions? I normally don't bring clothes because I'm always insecure about sizes. Ay!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO