Amanpuri vs. Banyan Tree

Search

Amanpuri vs. Banyan Tree

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amanpuri vs. Banyan Tree

Anyone stayed at both? If so, which did you prefer and why? Or, if you can't say that you prefer one over the other, what did you like/dislike about each? If it matters, I'm planning a trip in late November. Thanks.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM

I've stayed at both and they are quite different in concept. The Banyan Tree's villas are private and luxurious but you can't see the sea. It's like you're in an enclosed mini vacation home with a private pool, jacuzzi, an outdoor shower and a outdoor bath. The Aman's room are more traditional resort type but I understand that they now have villas(I haven't stay in the villas yet) as well. You do get a better sense of being next to the sea at the Aman.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:32 PM

You might want to also consider Trisara.

Amanpuri, Bayan Tree, and Trisara are pretty much the top of the scale on Phuket - but some new places are coming on line that will be even more upscale.

Try:

http://5starthailand.com/best_of_the_best.htm

or

http://phuketdelight.com/Best-of-the-Best.htm
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 05:17 AM

Hi, I am going to Phuket in December and was initially booked to stay at the Amanpuri, but the reviews I kept reading on TA weren't very favourable so I changed my booking and we're now going to the Banyan Tree instead.

Please let me know which hotel you decide on and what it's like, when you get back?
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Hanuman,

How would you compare the respective resorts' settings, service, food, etc.? Did you prefer one over the other? If so, why? Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:44 PM

The Aman’s villas all have sea views and the rooms are built on the hillside tumbling down the hillside to the sea. (They are all pretty much villa types, not sure what Hanuman is referring to, they are not in blocks of rooms like a hotel building, some of the villas are attached to one another though. maybe that is what Hanuman means.) Some sea views are better than others and some of course are only “garden” views, but if you don’t take a sea view room you will get great sea views from public areas and walkways, etc. The Banyan was built much later and had to comply with new regs and so is built significantly back from the sea behind a sand dune berne and none of the rooms or public areas really have any significant sea view. It is quite a little walk to the beach from the Banyan. The beach at the Aman is much more private, no hawkers can get to it; the beach at Banyan is on the main beach with 5 other hotels and there will be many hawkers. (There are no private beaches in Thailand, but because of the rocky shoreline at the edges of the Aman’s beaches, the hawkers can’t get to it.) The pools at both are very nice, both have very good food, both have good spas. Aman will require more up and down walking on hills to reach the beach and your room. If you want to play golf, you are better off at the Banyan as there is a course right there. I have not read recent reviews of the Aman, so don’t know what people are referring to, but I would choose it over the Banyan in a moment beacuse of its setting, beach, remote feeling and ambience.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM

Cobbs1,

IMO they are a completely different type of resort when compared together. The Banyan Tree offer private villas with a mini kitchen, living room, plunge pool etc. I like the Banyan Tree for this reason and I am an co-owner of a 2 bedroom pool and Jacuzzi villa there.

For a honeymoon I would think that the Amanpuri might be a better choice as I consider this resort as more romantic with a beautiful sea view from the pool and rooms. As for the food, I truthfully don't like the food at either place and I think that they are overpriced. If I had the choose the food between the two resort I would pick the Aman over the Banyan.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Having stayed ar Aman in Pucket (6 nights) in 2003 and visited the Baynan Tree, I can say I would not return to Aman for 2/3rds the price. While it is under-stated elegance it is stuffy, in my opinion, and they are more concerned about how the place looks i.e. around the pool, than the guests comfort. We only had lunch at Baynan Tree but felt much more comfortable strolling the grounds and seeing the staff.Just one couples opinion.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM

If you had to choose between the entry level room at the Trisara or Amanpuri vs. the Pool Villa at the Banyan Tree which would you choose? I am very particular regarding luxurious bedding and am looking for a great pool to lounge by. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Several years ago, we stayed at what was then the Pansea Hotel (& I believe is now called the Chedi Hotel). It was the only other hotel which shared a beach with the Amanpuri -- except that it has at least 75% of the beach, is closer to the water (less steep stairs), was designed in exactly the same style and is less stuffy than the Amanpuri. Has anyone been there recently? I'd love to hear about it because we enjoyed it very much.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Having just returned from an absolutely wonderful 5-night stay at Amanpuri, I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I think the setting is gorgeous, the beach is wonderful and private and the view from our room and outdoor sala (where we had breakfast each morning) to die for--Andaman Sea on 2 sides, beautiful trees and greenery on 1 side. Also, based on my experience, I cannot agree with the "stuffy" comment or the fact that the staff is not interested in the guests comfort. I thought the staff was delightful. They were totally interested in our experience (both at the hotel and in Thailand in general) and our comfort. To a person, I found them warm, wonderful and one of the key reasons I would return. From the driver who met us at the airport with cold towels and cold water who wanted to hear all about us and our home and tell us the same about himself so he could practice his (already good) english, to the waiters who brought us breakfast each day who wanted to exchange stories about our kids and who shook our hands on our last day and hoped we would return soon, to the hostess in the restaurant who brought me a beautiful necklace of jasmine on our last night--they were gracious and warm (I know I said that already). The whole experience was fabulous and, personally, I am very glad that I didn't listen to the tripadvisor reports and change my reservation away from Amanpuri. I cannot imagine a better experience anywhere.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM

I am not familar with the Trisara in Phuket but if I need to give you a "money Back guarantee" the Banyan Tree is almost, not quite, as nice as the Four Seasons-Sayan on Bali,the finest resort we have stayed at in 38 years of travel from the Caribbean to Australia.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM

cadwax, I'm glad to hear you had such a wonderful time at the Amanpuri!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Thanks Kathie. The entire trip was amazing and the one place better than Amanpuri was the Four Seasons Golden Triangle. An incredible place and experience.
Hope you are settling back in at home. I am definately having a hard time coming back to work and reality!