AMANPURI Phuket (anybody stayed there?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have "almost" decided to choose staying at the AMANPURI to finish my trip in thailand, however I would like to find some people that has stayed at the hotel before and could help me with some questions.
I'm sorry, I don't know to use very well the forums, so I tryed to use the search by "AMANPURI" before to put my question but all posts are quite old, I'm not sure if can anybody help me?
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM

I "think" a few have, it is of course 'mega price' and I would only say think how you plan to spend your days, if you want to stay put that is one thing but if you plan to head out for day trips, visit other beaches and tours and spend much of your day away from where you stay, just think how much that room is costing for a night.

Phuket does have a very good choice of top end places and sure, if you can afford it why not !
But there are lots of top luxury places way way cheaper.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM

I've stayed there a few times but quite a while ago, before we bought a unit at the Banyan Tree Phuket. What do you need to know?
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:33 AM

The Amanpuri experts (experts on all Amans actually) are at www.flyertalk.com. Go to the Luxury Hotels forum and you will find lots of people who have stayed there recently. They can tell you what rooms to request, what activities to do, etc.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:41 AM

We did not particularly enjoy our stay/ In fact we were booked for 6 nights but checked out after 2 and went to Baynan Tree which we liked a lot. We found this Amanpuri too sterile, the staff seemed to be doing you a favor by lettimng you stay there.me example was we wanted an umbrealla on a 95+ degree day at the pool. e were told the architect and the management had agreeed when the hotel was built that umbrellas around the pool wqoukd detract from the ambiance that they were trying to develop and maintain in the pool complex. At $650/day in 2003 without meals for a deluxe room, not a suite, probably $750/day now the guest making a reasonable request should prevail, don't you think. One day with 2 meals and tax I think was $825+/- in 2003 vs. Baynan which was lovely at about $650-$675/day with 2 meals and taxes back then.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

wow!! what a quick replies and how useful they are, thank you!

Hi James,
yes, you are right, prices at Amanpuri are really high, so I'm totaly agree with your analysis, but yes, this will be the final part of our trip and we are looking for a relaxing time, so we are spending most of the time enjoying the pavillon (exterior area), hotel facilities and of course the beach, only a short scapes to have a look to the island and may be to try some dinner outside the hotel.
It is truth that being searched all the information that I could for accommodation in Phuket, it seems that there are a lot of good options and not so expensive, but thre are some important issues for me that I could only find availables at the Amanpuri:
-Relatively small size hotel with individual bungalows
-Just on the beach (and still not enough!) with own services
-The beach looks to be one of the nicest at the island.
-No private beaches in Thailand, but still quite hidden, shared only with one hotel (chedi) and however quite easy to go around the main surin area, wich looks to be quite lively but not as crowded as Patong seems to be.

These are my main reasons, and hope not to be wrong. For good service, and good food, I think they are easy to find at many places in Phunket

Hello Hanuman, I think some of the posts I read were yours, (not sure) thanks to be here!!
well, after you know what I'm looking for you can tell me if I'm in the right choice.
I was reading some reviews at TA but couldn't get all the information I would have li ked, only a few recent posts and not very enthusiastic some other.
What I'm a bit worried is for several comments telling that service is a bit "stuffy" I wouldn't like to feel in a stuffy or uncomfortable way. Luxury at the beach means also "easy" and cozy admosphere for me, so if you have been there, I really apreciate your opinion.
Regards to the pavillons, I was late to get open ocean views, so only "partial view" are available. I could get a resort map that shows there are 4 of these pavillon type, one is in the down side near to the sea but in the fifth line to the left of the central area(sow on layout or from the sea)and there are the another three at the uper side just to the right of the Aman Spa area and over what seems to be a main path/way that cut the layout in two areas (up and down in the layout)
If you can remember something about locations could you tell me what part os better??
I wouldn't like to have too many stairs going to the beach (as it happens on the Chedi, except for the beach suites and studios that are at the similar price than Amanpuri)
I would have like to get my bungalow "right" on the beach but there aren't anyone at Amanpuri, then I prefer to have more distance to walk to the beach than to be near but with a lot of stairs, so there is a main question to know that:
To get to the beach at the Amanpuri is only going through the main stairs of the pool??? or are there some other path/way going down to the beach???

I did to ask for this at the Amanpuri reservation office and they kindly send to me the property map but I got a bit afrait when they explained that it takes AT LEAST 5 minutes going to the beach passing by the pool (stairs I think?)or 10-15 passing by coconut plantation (path I think??)

Regards to the restaurants and food, could you tell me anything about it?
was there some restaurant at the beach when you stayed there? I think they are building one now, but I0m not sure if they are refurbushing or it will be a new one.
after all it will be my first trip to Thailand so I hope to have a good chance in Amanpuri tryng some of the famous thai food.

That's all Hanuman, I'll be really gratefull for any information you could share. Big apologizes if I need to write a lot and so long to make a question, but my english is not very good, sorry!

Hi Ericka, thank you very much!!! this link looks to be very very interesting, I'm going to search there as much as I can

MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!! REALLY GRATEFUL.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi StanKase, I didn't see your post before,
thank you very much for your opinion, I'm really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay there...
I was also looking at the Banyan tree, but it really don't suit my main wishes StanKase. Knowing that it is a great hotel and with very good reviews and critics, I'm looking to be right on the beach and if I'm right Banyan tree is not just there and its beach is not so nice and not so private.
It gives me a bit "enclosed" feeling...
I know, the pool villas are really nice but this is something that I'm not going to enjoy as I have some problems with "cloro" on my skin, but I really enjoy a lot swimming on the sea, which I love!

Anyway I really appreciate your comment and this is what I'm trying to search different opinions.
Many thanks to share with me and for your suggestion too.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM

Le Meridian Yacht Club was renovated, not just a coat of paint according to 2 couples that are very critical if accommodations and service are not just right. We had lunch there on our stay and thought the food was excellent and the ambience was lovely and the physical structure and setting were very classy. We did NOT see the rooms so cannot comment other than to say that our friends are Four Seasons, Westin, Grand Hyatt customers when traveling and they thought the rooms were a 4 out of 5 and at half the price of Anampuri for an Oceanfront room. Maybe an option.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM

Ericka,

The last time I stayed at the Aman was a long time ago and then there were only two hotel on that beach - the Aman and the Pan Sea.

Here's what I recall of the Aman: Every time we stayed there we had to take a "tuk tuk" from the lobby to our room which was a bit up a hill but a good view of the ocean. To get to the beach from our room you will have to go through the pool area and the stairs is about 15 - 20 flights? The Aman restaurant was open air but the food was not that great the last time we ate there which was about 2 years ago. The bedrooms themselves were rather "boring" to me but this was maybe 15 years ago and I'm sure they have redone them. Perhaps StanKase can comment on this. The service was good but we speak Thai and would always chat or joke around with the staff.

We bought a 2 bedroom pool + jacuzzi villa at the Banyan and we prefer to stay there instead. We still have to take a golf cart to our villa and it's quite far from the beach (ours is situated next to the golf course). The villas have very nicely decorated rooms with wonderful outdoor showers and baths - Bali style. The food is not that great at the Banyan either but we have a little kitchenette where we would cook or send the driver out for take home food from the local restaurants. A BBQ by the pool is nice if it's not too hot out!

As James have said there are a lot of new 5 star properties in Phuket but I don't really know them. I'll try and do some research(ask my friends) and post back later.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM

Phuket has developed so much and the prime best beach locations were taken up long ago, some of the newer places often have descriptions such as 'panoramic views over the sea from the charming hillside location', that means they are up a hill with a view!

I don't think we know what time of year you are planning, remember November to April prices are way way higher, but that is the time of year for good weather.
I think it fair that expensive resorts that have spent millions providing the best charge high for everything like food and drinks, but as long as you are happy with that, a luxury but not 'top luxury' place will still charge more, but without being 'crazy' prices for a bottle of water or a cola!
So do appreciate food/drinks, laundry, spa/massage etc can add a 'huge' amount to your bill.
Andaman White beach and such are not going to give you Amanpuri style, but the price difference for a week could be more than your long haul flights have cost! Beachfront pool villa 225-600 depending on season.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:28 PM

what about the private villa at the JW MARRIOTT...??
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Hello everybody,
all of you are being very helpful with me, thank you!
Apologies for my delay, I couldn't be here earlier.

StanKase,
thanks a lot to explain about the Yacht Club Meridien, it is a good suggestion I'm sure, this is a good hotel without doubt and most of reviews are telling good opinion, the beach is also very nice!!
however there are two main requeriments that it doesn't have:
-there are not individual bungalows
-the area is quite isolated I think...
-I'm not sure if there are beach service from the hotel... (I think yes)
So It is not getting the main things I'm looking for, but I don't rule it yet.

Hi Hanuman,
yes, I think still there are only two hotels sharing Pansea beach (amanpuri and now The Chedi) Twin Palms and Treetops Arasia are useing the Surin area (I think/hope)
Many thanks to tell me what you remember about Amanpuri. It is very useful.
I'm agree with your opinion about the pavillons, and I think they have not renewed the rooms too much, at list telling about the style, as they look quite classical, really not modern, funny and dynamic decors, but they stil seems to me quite comfortable and althought sober, quite good size and yet elegant. The exterior area I think must be the best if you can afford quite privacy and nice views.

Now, untill I can understand the only way to go to the beach is through the stairs of the main area, from any of the areas (up to the hill or on the left of the main area) and this is a fact that really bother me a bit. I hoped there was some other way to go "walking" to the beach without stairs. Anyway I'll keep waiting if StarKase could tell me anything about it.

After all Hanuman, it seems that you really prefer to stay at Banyan tree where villas looks very nice and outside showers/baths (I really love this fact!) you are just there for golf playing, so you get lot of interesting things staying there.
Anyway It seems that you got some dissapointing items on your lasts visits to Amanpuri, so it didn't cheer me up too much.

My sincere thanks dear Hanuman for all your explanations.

Hi JAMES, you are also here again, thank you!
What about you are telling from new properties getting nice views from the hill but not "just on the beach" that it is just what I'm looking for...

You are right James, I didn't told to you, I'm going there on January and stayin in Phuket last week of january,
so prices are at the highest level, I'm aware of it at high season, but it is the time of the year that I can be far away from my business but I also love to avoid the winter for a few days, the only thing I hope is to be very lucky with the weather!! thabks to advise me.

well James, your suggestion are very good too, I really was also studing the Andaman white beach, as the beach is also very very nice!! and it looks really a good value. However it have the same lack than Yacht Club stayind far in the north, then, being more difficult going around the nearby areas, cuisine and restaurants at this resort don't give me quite good feeling.
Any case it is another very good recommendation James, thank you very much!
Hello rhkkmk, thanks very much to you, and yes, I know JW MARRIOT is another good option, still lacking the same thing being really far in the northern area, but many thanks anyway.

Well, after all I think if I'm not really sure to get the Amanpuri the only another option to me would be his neighbour? The Chedi??
If I try to get a bungalow placed right down on the beach (Beach studio suite or Beach deluxe suite looks to be placed down) at list and not being as classy as Amanpuri, I would be at the Surin area, which I like it, I would be on the nice Pansea beach and I would avoid lot of stairs?¿?

what do you think about it?? Could you give me your opinion please???? I really don't now what would be the best choice Amanpuri up stairs or The Chedi down on the beach.

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 02:10 PM

A couple of answers. The furniture 4 years ago was in very good condition but not classy. I am not one for "over-the-top" but under-stated" elegance.The only way, to what I thought was quite a nice beach. was with use of a few stairs. I think they may have eliminated one set for a friend said it was an easy walk and he is 71 though athletic.
I liked the isolation because with the taxi availability and the cost ($3-$5) each way to a destination and a 7=15 minute run I liked it that way. Some may not.

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Hello StanKase, thank you for your explanation, I can understand what do you mean, I'm really grateful

please, let me know:
are you telling about the Amanpuri when you explain the isolation?? or is it regards to the Yacht club?
Until I know, if I stay at Amanpuri I can arrive to some places by 5-10 minutes walking, am I right or wrong??
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Perhaps look at Phuket Pavillions.

http://www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com/pool-villas.html

Centara Villas Karon overlooking Karon is a short walk down to the north end of Karon beach on a path, this is not an Amanpuri but still class style and the bonus you have is that although the entrance is from the road north from Karon you can with ease get to good restaurants in places such as Karon or Kata, and prices well down.
These are Thai style in gardens, the views are amazing.
Deluxe ocean view $100-250, Spa Villa 160-260, pool villa 220-325.
You have the steps to the beach but you will get that in some of the others.

From Karon very easy to get to plenty of restaurants, but the Centara is hillside but in this case 'high up' so the views across Karon are 'good'.

Andaman White beach sets you 'on the beach'
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM

One not mentioned is Aramas at Nai Yang, now I do not know this but know the area and it you have the beach!!

http://www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com/...on_hotels.html

That is first featured with photo and link for Arahmas

If you want quiet it 'could be the one'! Or compare with centara Karon cheaper but closer to restaurants, shopping etc.

Starts from the $100 to 300 range depending on season, some with direct pool access, others are pool villas 300 to 6 or 700 depending on season, 180 sqm/yds space, private Butler, pool plus deck and sala etc

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM

I just returned from the Amanpuri and it was exceptional! The service, food, room, ambiance, beach and people were flawless. The beach had umbrellas and nothing was stiff about the place. If you aren't going to sweat the cost, then you should book it without thinking twice.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM

The Meridean is more isolated than the Baynan Tree and it is 10-15 taxi rides to the so-called "action but at a cost of $$4-$6 RT. But I was just throuwing that out as a great option ito the Banyan at probably 3/4 the price. I stayed in an OceanFront Suite and I thought they had some villa's but I am not certain.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Hello nice people,
I'm sorry very much but coudn't send earlier reply, sorry! I was out side home for a few days.

JamesA and StanKase thankyou so much for all the informations, links and suggestions, they are all very very helpful. I'm really grateful for it.
Still thinking that AMANPURI gives to me the best sense (feeling) about what I'm looking for.

Dear SHARI, what a nice words I can read from you!!
It is really nice to get a recent (updated) review, and still much better being a GOOD REVIEW!!
I did a small search from your nickname and can see you were also looking where to stay, and also read about Madagascar and Anjajavi, where I also whant to go!!
Please please please Shari, could you explain a bit more about the Amanpuri????
what kind of pavillon did you get there? what about the restaurants? are the pavillons far from the beach? did you feel that stairs were a "problem" going to the beach? could you tell me if there are some better location for pavillons what can I ask for?
did you try the spa?
so... anything you could share with me would be great! I have already booked!!

thank you
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Dear Shari, if are you going to post any review for AMANPURI??? please adviseme where is it, I'm very interested to read it. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -