Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Leaving Thursday and still deciding between Mom Tri's Villa Royale (Phuket) and Pimalai (Koh Lanta)

Search

Leaving Thursday and still deciding between Mom Tri's Villa Royale (Phuket) and Pimalai (Koh Lanta)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thanks to everyones advice we've decided on...

Singapore (Four Seasons)2 nights and then Anantara (Chaing Rai) with a rental car for 4 nights.Thank goodness we've decided on something because we leave so soon!

I've booked our flights on Thai Airways but I'm still deciding between Pimalai or a deluxe studio at Mom Tri's Villa Royale which is an annex at the Boathouse on Phuket. The rooms are about the same price because there's a great deal at Villa Royale which includes discounts on the spa and dining.

Obviously Mom Tri's is a busier location (Phuket)so it's partially a matter of us deciding whether we want to go to a quieter place or not...but here are my other questions...

If you've stayed at Mom Tri's in the Villa section was there plenty of room or was it very small because it's up on the hill?

Did you do the cooking course it sounds wonderful? What was the spa like?

Though Phuket is busier than Koh Lanta is the Villa Royale quiet enough?

What was the spa and the food like at Pimalai?

I know these are very specific questions but I think there are several people on the board who have stayed at these properties and could help me make up my mind.

Do give me your 2 cents worth if you have any general comments.

Thanks so much for all the help!
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 11:52 PM

You already have enough to decide simply as Koh Lanta is so so much quieter than Phuket. Mom tri's/Kata area is much quieter than normal but the differences are greater, on Phuket you have a very large choice of restaurants, lots of shops from street stalls and night markets(Patong), you also have shopping malls etc, Koh lanta on the other hand is for quiet relaxation where you 'might' go to a local restaurant or perhaps try a restaurant at another hotel/resort, they are so very different.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 11:54 PM

I would perhaps add to that the travel aspect, for Koh lanta you need to fly to krabi, then road down the coast and boat across, Phuket simply fly into Phuket Airport and cab/van down to Kata.
It really comes down to whether you just want a very quiet resort and pool with a few things to do on Koh lanta or whether every night you want to head out to restautants, do shopping, have a few cocktails, they really are very very different places.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:01 AM

I've personally spent two New Years Eve celebrations staying in one of Mom Tri's villas. I absolutely LOVE the place!! You will find it to be very quiet indeed.

I don't know if you are in one of the "older" villas, of which there are only 7, or if you are staying in one of the brand new suites, which I've not seen. The brand new suites are located closer to Kata Noi beach, and may have a pathway or stairway down to the beach. This I don't know for sure. The new places were under construction the last time I stayed in one of the "old" villas.

The "old" villas are quite large. Some moreso than others. We stayed in Dhama Raksa and had a livingroom, a bedroom with king plus lounging chair, a "sitting" room with day bed, plus two bathrooms. It was HUGE!

We also stayed in what I call villa #7, which overlooks the pool/sea. The view is great, even from the bathtub, but the villa is about half the size of Dhama Raksa. It has a living/bedroom combination, and a nice bathroom.

Have never stayed in the largest one; it has one bath, sleeping for possibly four people, and a lovely terrace overlooking the water.

Another "smaller" old villa has its own wine cellar (locked???) so I'm not sure what good it is... LOL It is located UNDER the biggest villa with the terrace.

I've toured nearly all seven villas and you will not be disappointed with any of them, even if they don't overlook the water (like Dhama Raksa).
I wish I could describe the newer suites but don't have any info. But I can assure you that the location is very quiet!! And the service and food are beyond compare IMO.

Carol
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Can only comment on Pimalai where I spent part of my honeymoon in December last year - you can read my full trip report if you search on this forum. In summary it is FANTASTIC....go, go go - you will not be disappointed.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Dear All,
thanks very much for the replies...I agree with you James it's all essentially a question of how quiet a place do we want. It sounds like such a simple decision doesn't it. My husband is glad that we're leaving so soon because otherwise my procrastinating would go on for months.

The joy of a longer trip is of course that one would have time for both but I guess I'll just have toleave one place for another trip!

BeccaJ I read your honeymoon report which was great I was fascinated to read that the food at Rayavadee was expensive even for someone coming from the UK...what a nightmare for us in the US with the dollar. Everytime I'm in England (I'm normally there twice a year to visit family) I just choke and pay through the nose for everything!

I emailed the Pimalai to ask about "Same Same but Different" as I'd read on the Thai travel forum that it was closed following the tsunami and I'm not sure if it's up and running again.

I'm leaning towards the quiet of Pimalai and I have made a reservation on the flight into Krabi. My only ambivilance comes from the fact that the Deluxe suites at Villa Royale look very luxurious (and v. reasonable at 5,500 baht inclusive) and the service and food sound fabulous, thanks Carol for the description.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:26 PM
CFW

From your description of what you are looking for you will love the Pimalai. The spa is very special -- treatment rooms are separate thatched-roofed rooms set in lush tropical gardens, and the massages, facials, and skin treatments were sooooo relaxing, and very reasonably priced. Food was also delicious and reasonably priced - They have a Thai chef and a Belgian chef who made marvelous fresh baked breads and rolls and pastries. They also offer cooking classes if you are interested. I just can't say enough good things about the Pimalai for complete rest, relaxation, and warm personal service-- not to mention the exquisite beach, and lovely accommodations. If you want a very private resort, in a lovely tropical setting, this is it.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks CFW,
With only two days to go I have finally sorted it out! We've booked the Pimalai.

I went to the airport yesterday and had the tickets issued into Krabi so there's no more second guessing! I'm sure we'll have a great time. The small restaurant down the beach,Same Same but Different has apparently reopened and we're looking forward to a relaxing time.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM
CFW

Have a fabulous time (I know you will!) and be sure to post when you get back. Same Same had not re-opened when we were there, so we'll have to go back to try it!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Have a great time! Do keep us posted how it all goes, I just loked in the paper and ( from your webname I am guessing ) it's about B 76 to the British pound at the moment so you are getting good value, remember change money once in BKK.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:31 AM
CFW

Welltraveled, At the Pimalai please look for and say hello to Saki (he's their lead waiter)for us. Rob and Carole from Connecticut. He was one of the very friendly people who made our visit special and we enjoyed talking with him. Also say hello to Franck de Lestapis, the manager with whom we chatted a number of times. I think one of the reasons the Pimalai is so enjoyable is that the management is very much present to make sure everything things are running smoothly and the guests are happy. Have a great time!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...Carole I'll send on your greetings to all.

James A I'm now living on the west coast of the US and so I'm bringing dollars, I WISH I was "packing" pounds! I made a quick trip to the UK and to Venice in March and I was horrified byt the slide of the dollar against the pound 2:1

My husband says my screen name is supercilous and just ghastly, he says I should be welltraveledgit!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM

welltraveled:
Obviously I'm disappointed that you didn't opt to stay at the Villa Royale. But I'll get over it... LOL. I shall soon have my travel photos on the web so you folks can take a look at what our villas offered at Mom Tri's.

Do enjoy your trip! I'm sure you will have a lovely time in Thailand.

Carol