krabi in June?!

Apr 24th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

krabi in June?!

I am planning a trip to Thailand in June and was planning on visiting Koh Samui but also wanted to stop over in Krabi. I know it is considered monsoon season during that time and was wondering if anyone could tell me how bad the weather gets in June in Krabi?? does it usually rain every day, for days on end or does it rain heavily for an hour or two and then the sun comes out? Also is travelling around that area very difficult during that time? Do any long tail boats go out in the water?? Are flights often cancelled to the area airports?!
Apr 24th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Although Koh Samui is far busier than usual in June you should be safe to book just the days you want, check the local press ( Nation or Bangkok Post newspapers ) for the weather, if Krabi looks OK then take the ferry/bus or a ferry/van or ferry/car combination via Surat Thani down to Ao nang. You could be lucky on the weather or not but that is the easiest way to plan it, just head to Samui and then check out the weather. If yuo want to head to the nice beaches from Ao nang you need to go by long-tail and if it gets a bit 'rough' it won't be pleasant, but just check the weather once in Samui is I think your best plan.
Apr 24th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Ao Nang beach in Krabi province is not all that spectacular. although there are a couple of lovely resorts there. We stayed at Ao Nang in Dec 2004 before the tsunami and also stayed at Railay West (our second trip there in 8 months) for a few nights mid Dec 2004. We'd previously been to Koh Samui a few days earlier and both of us agreed that Koh Samui is far easier to negotiate around & nicer for beaches, nightlife, shopping etc. than Krabi town, and Ao Nang & Railay. The limestone cliffs around Krabi are impressive but getting around in those longtail boats is a real pain (with luggage) and if the weather is bad, a real BAD pain! In May 2004 at Railay it rained most early afternoons and evenings and cleared up for a couple of sunny hours in the morning and mid day. I'd opt for more days in Samui, if it was me! Good luck.
Apr 25th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful insight. I think these message boards are great to get advice from real people who have travelled to these destinations. Has anyone checked out the Buriraya resort in Koh Samui? It looks like a nice resort but is located on Lamai beach. Is there a big difference between Lamai and Cheweng beaches as far as convenience, asthetics, things to do such as restaurants?
Apr 25th, 2005, 06:14 AM

we stayed at peace resort last june and the weather was perfect as was the resort....great pool and great beach and very close to bophut town and only 15-20 min. to cheweng bch area...
Apr 27th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Chaweng has the best choice of accom, shops, cafes, restaurants etc. If you want the best beach then chose Choeng Mon. If you have lots of money then see www.tongsaibay.co.th or if you're a wheelypacker like me see www.choengmon.com-you can hire a car & drive around the island in a little more than 1 hr. I do not know the resort you mentioned, however we checked out many places during our 6 night visit in Dec 2004 and Choeng Mon is numero uno! You can shop in Chaweng from 10am to 10 pm, for the same old stuff like fake wallets, DVD's, everything you see in BKK only more expensive, but just to laze around these places I've mentioned above is my idea of heaven. Have lots of fun!