Hong Kong restaurant, Mme. Tussaud

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong restaurant, Mme. Tussaud

Hi,
Need help from a HK resident.
1) Would like directions to get to Yung Kee restaurant in Central and DimSum restaurant in Happy Valley.

2) Also, is Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum recommended to see? How long will it take to see everything inside?

Thank you.
Bibi
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:06 AM

Yung Kee has an online map:

www.yungkee.com.hk/profile/profile-e.html

Why "Dim Sum" in Happy Valley? It's not easy to get to, and comments seem mixed.

Anyways, to get there, you can take #1 bus from Central or Wan Chai which goes up Sing Woo Road. Or take the tram (must say "Happy Valley&quot to the Happy Valley Terminus and walk about 6 blocks up a slight slope. Or just take a taxi from Causeway Bay MTR.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:55 AM

For Yung Kee, WHERE will you be coming from? That would make giving directions easier...the map may be helpful as well.

Of all the things to do on the Peak, I can't imagine why you would want to spend the time or money to go to Madame Tussads. I have never been in 6 years of living here and 15 years prior to that of visiting Hong Kong, and don't intend to go ever. Go to the original in London. The one in Hong Kong is quite small. There are many other things to do in Hong Kong, and on the Peak, the best thing to do is get outside and take in the view and walk around the Peak.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:33 PM

Both my friends and I living in Hong Kong never visited the wax musuem. Guess it says it all.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all.

We've been to HK several times. This time, we'll just be there for about 8 hours and really just have 2 hours at most to go sightseeing, after lunch and shopping! Don't think we'll be headed for London in the next 5 years, hence thought of making a look-see to the museum in HK. Been to Ocean Park.

So is Yung Kee worth it? Any other suggestions? What about Maxim's? Could you also suggest a good restaurant with a Chinese buffet? (with directions too, please!)
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Yung Kee is more for Chinese dishes while at Maxim's you can have dim sums. The one in City Hall is famous. There are qutie some others of the same chain in Central, e.g. in Exchange Square, Jardine House, etc.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Chinese BUFFET has kind of stumped me, because in my experience that is not the way the Chinese would typically serve food. However, there is a very good Asian buffet at the Island Shangri-La in Cafe Too, it has some Chinese and other Asian. You should make a reservation as it is popular. It’s about HK$260 per person but very good, includes a good desert buffet as well:

Cafe TOO
Shangri-La Hotel
Pacific Place
88 Queensway, Hong Kong
Tel: 852- 2877 3838
http://www.shangri-la.com/hongkong/island

For the Shangri-La hotel, again as I don’t know WHERE you are coming from, its hard to give directions. It is on Hong Kong Island in the Pacific Place shopping mall, at 88 Queensway. You can take a taxi, from say the Star Ferry pier in Central it would take about 5 minutes and cost about HK$25. You can take the MTR to Admiralty and walk underground following signs to the Mall and then upstairs via elevators into the hotel; you can take the tram to the Pacific Place stop; you can take a bus to the Pacific Place stop. From the bottom of the Peak tram, you can walk through Hong Kong Park, there should be signs for Pacific Place Mall or ask someone.

For dim sum, here is my list of reccos which I have posted previously. I think Yung Kee is overrated and I don’t have it on the list. Agree on Maxim’s as being good, on a weekend or if you want a window seat (and you do) you would want a reservation:

My assistant who I consider an expert on all things Cantonese (hey she is Cantonese) now says that the Chinese restaurant in the Four Seasons has the best dim sum, but is very expensive. For a splurge, go there. For just good dim sum at better prices, try these.

West Villa Restaurant
Ground Floor
Gee Tuck Building
16-20 Bonham Strand
Sheung Wan
Tel: 2543-3990

This place supposedly has the best cha xiu bao in Hong Kong; and I have to agree. If you love your cha xiu bao (barbeque pork inside a steamed dumpling) like I do, this is the place. The dim sum is otherwise generally very good as well. They have several other outlets, including one in Causeway Bay near Times Square and one in TST, addresses are below. I have only been to the Sheung Wan one. The decor reminds me of a mini-Marriott ballroom minus the chandeliers, don’t know how else to describe it. They have English menus but the English of waiters is limited, generally you are OK by just pointing; this is clearly a very local place. The Sheung Wan location is in an interesting local neighbourhood, good for a look and then walking down to the “dried fish” street area or going up to the Graham Street and Hollywood Road areas. Directly across from the restaurant is a little pedestrian alley with stalls selling name chops.

West Villa Causeway Bay: First Floor, Lee Gardens 2, 28 Yun Ping Road Tel 2882-2110

West Villa TST: 18B Austin Ave, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon Tel 2368-8709

Maxim's Palace City Hall Chinese Restaurant
2/F, Low Block
City Hall, Central
Tel: 2521 1303

This restaurant is in the City Hall building, very close to the Star Ferry, and has a nice harbour view. They have carts, and is one of the few places left which uses dim sum carts. Very popular with locals and tourist. You would need a reservation, if you want a table by the window, ask when making a booking.

The Square
Exchange Square, Block 2
4th Floor
Central
Tel: 2225-1163

According to my Cantonese assistant, the second best dim sum in town. This is also run by the Maxim's people who operate the one in City Hall, but according to my assistant, this one is 5 star and the City Hall one is 4 star. I have eaten in both and will say that I think the food seemed better at the Square. I am not a huge fan of dim sum and my palate is probably not that refined so take that for what it is worth. The Square is much more elegant with polished wood floors, subdued lighting and a nice ambience, it is also a lot quieter as it is much smaller than the City Hall outlet. It does not have the carts. It has a harbour view, but I have to say that the view is not really as good as the one at City Hall. It is about the same price, maybe a tiny bit more than the City Hall one. It might be a toss-up as to which to pick, if you want the noisy cart experience (which can indeed be fun) then go to City Hall, if really really good food is a bit more important, then go to The Square.

Metropol Restaurant
4th Floor, United Centre
95 Queensway, Admiralty
Tel: 2865 1988
http://www.heichinrou.com

Also has the carts. Good food and good value. No views. It is across the street from Pacific Place Mall and easily reached by MTR or the Tram.

Zen
Pacific Place Mall
88 Queensway
Admiralty
Tel. 852/2845 4555
In a shopping mall at one end of Hong Kong park, not far from the Peak Tram, a good break for lunch. No carts, no view.

Dragon-I
The Centrium 60 Wyndham Street
Hong Kong,
Telephone: + 852 3110 1222
http://www.dragon-i.com.hk/

Very sishi dim sum with the ladies who lunch in Hong Kong (known as "tai tais" which means "wife" but is used in a pejorative sense). The restaurant has a nice terrace.

Wan Loong Court Restaurant
Kowloon Hotel
19-21 Nathan Road

CLOSED. I add this because it was a huge favourite of mine and on this board and I don’t want people to make the trek over only to be disappointed....

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi Cicerone

Maxim's and Metropol are just dim sum? Do they both have Peking Duck?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Eliz - Dim sum is Cantonese cuisine. So, the restaurants Cicerone listed are all Cantonese ones. Cantonese cuisine means dim sum for breakfast, dim sum plus some noodles/rice dishes for lunch, and then real dishes for dinner. And that's what those restaurants serve.

Peking duck is not Cantonese dish, as its name implies. If you want good Peking duck, you need to go to a Pekingese restaurant. For example, the Maxim group operates the Peking Garden in 3/F, Star House (right next to Tsimshatsui Star Ferry).
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 06:06 PM

As rkkwan says, Peking Duck is a northern Chinese dish, from Peking (i.e., Beijing). You would not find it in a pure dim sum restaurant, as dim sum is southern Chinese food from Guangdong Province. It would be like asking for lasagna in a Mexican restaurant. While Chinese restaurants in the US sometime offer a mix of cuisines, here in Asia they generally don’t (except in hotel buffets). Dim sum is generally served from about 10 am- 4 pm every day. After that, most of the above restaurants serve other food, generally Cantonese cuisine (other than Dragon-I). I don’t know the Peking Garden, but the Maxim group generally run good restaurants, so I am sure it would be good.

Some reccos of mine for Peking Duck would be:

Spring Deer Restaurant
42 Mody Road
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
Tel: 852/2366 4012

A little bit touristy, but has good Peking Duck IMO. I’m not 100% sure its on offer for lunch, so call and check.

American Peking Restaurant
20 Lockhart Rd
Wan Chai
Tel: 852-2527-7770

In Wan Chai, very inexpensive.

You might find Peking Duck at Dragon-I as they have dim sum plus other dishes and Japanese food and salads. Can’t say for sure that I have ever seen it on the menu.

One more place to try dim sum if you are on the Kowloon side is Hutong which is a very nice restaurant on the top floor of a tower with fantastic views (if you get a clear day) I have not been for dim sum but it’s one of my favourite places for dinner. It’s northern Chinese food at night, but they do dim sum during the day. I don’t believe they have Peking Duck on their menu generally, as they try to be very eclectic and not traditional. Take a look at www.aqua.com.hk

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Cicerone, I am running out of printer paper! I keep printing your suggestions (yes, I know some are duplicates). We will not be in Hong Kong long enough to eat in all the places you make so appealing.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 06:39 PM

And I have even printed my restuarant list yet, do you want that? It's currently 25 pages....I love to eat....
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 01:47 AM

I recently came across this Web site that has many nice pictures of food from different HK restaurants. The restaurant names and locations are in chinese.

Japanese
http://www.pbasehk.com/Macy/Macy285

Chinese
http://www.pbasehk.com/Macy/Macy286

Western
http://www.pbasehk.com/Macy/Macy300

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Cicerone, I have printed/saved many of your restaurant suggestions on other posts but if your list has any more !! it would be much appreciated.
Pauline.
would it be easier to email it?
tierney p 6 at msn. com
but no spaces.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Yes Cicerone, I'd love it too. Eliz, I second Cicerone's suggestion of the Spring Deer in Mody Road, especially the Peking Duck. Just DO NOT be turned off by the awful entrance to the building. Have fun !
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM

I have posted by restaurant reccos under my thread called "Cicerone’s Reccos for What the Locals Do for Fun in Hong Kong (Hint: We DON’T Go to those Awful Night Markets....)"

Also, there is a pretty major typo is my West Villa dim sum recco, above. They do NOT have English menus, at least not in the Sheung Wan branch. So, if anyone went there and tried to order based on the quite limited English of the waiters, my apologies. You need to either know how to pronounce the dishes, or have your hotel write down your favourites in Chinese, OR just take a flyer and ask them to bring you some favourites of theirs(fine if you don't mind getting some mabye strange tidbits; but for dim sum you are unlikely to get chicken feet but may get pigs ear....)
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Now pig's ear is the favorite of Ruben, our mini Aussi (dog), but we seldom give it to him...to fatty. I think I'll try something else.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Sorry...too (not to)