Almost have my SE Asia trip done need two more days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am the one with the friend's son getting married in KL. So far this is what I have planned. August:

13th arrive late to Sin
14th One full day in Sin
15th, 16th 17th KL--wedding stuff
18th, 19th 20th Bangkok
Now I am stuck. Have not booked tickets yet but would like to spend two nights in Hong Kong and from there fly back to Sin for two days there and then leave on the 28th for home.

I do not want to go to a beach resort, prefer more of the "country" so to speak.

I do want to do my two nights in Hong Kong for sure. But am wondering if there is somewhere else I can fly to for like 2 nites 3 days.

I am not opposed to spending the money for regional flights just not sure where to go. I looked at Kathies suggestion of Angkor but not sure I have enough time to do it justice.

So am thinking a country trip in Thailand away from Bangkok or a country trip in Malaysia.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM

I agree you really don't have the time for Angkor. What about a country setting in Northern Thailand? You could fly to Chiang Mai, and stay at a resort in the country (CM itself is a huge, sprawling city), or fly to Chiang Rai and go norther into the Golden Triangle. I highly recommend the Anantara at the Golden Triangle as a wonderful place to stay.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 04:01 PM

BTW, I forgot to ask, can you buy an open-jaw ticket into Singapore and out of Hong Kong? It will save you a lot of flying. The flights to KL and to Bangkok are short, but it's a longer flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong, and quite a long flight from Hong Kong back to Singapore. Even if the open-jaw flight is a bit more (and it often isn't) it will save you money on intra-Asia flights.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM

luang prabang laos comes to mind...

the new sheraton north of hua hin thailand is very nice...

jw marriott in phuket, not far from the airport and you can get there from singapore directly

the datai at langkawi malaysia
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Bob, she doesn't want a beach resort, so not Phuket or Hua Hin. LP is an interesting idea, but with just 2 nights, she'd have very little time there. I'd say it's not enough time for LP.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM

i know she does not want beach but those are places where you could just relax and get to easily
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for quick replies, like I said originally, this trip just happened to happen--so was not exactly what I would have planned for a "real" trip to SE Asia.

First of all flying this far I would have preferred more days, but my friend cannot be gone longer.

So that is why we decided to hit the main points, BK, HK and Sin, but realizing I can squeeze in a couple extra days, I would prefer to get out of the "big" cities so to speak and see some "real" towns.

I think after researching again the best bet for a country trip would be in Thailand. I did look at Chiang Mai but thot it was just another big city--I will research staying outside of the town.

Kathie, I did try to fly into Singapore and out of Hong Kong it is what I wanted but did not work out. Would have been perfect for sure.

I know we are doing alot of moving around but time constraints dictate this trip.

Maybe we should stay in Bangkok and do some day tours out of the city?? Or even rent a car and take off somewhere?

I have read all the tour books--have 5 of them and still not sure.

It is not that I do not want a beach resort, just do not want one if the only thing to do or see is laying on the beach all day--not good at that.

Ok sorry this is soo long but really confused on what to do with those 3 days.

Thanks everyone for input
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 06:35 AM

I always find less moving around to be more relaxing. I love Bangkok, so I could stay there endlessly. If you want to relax, choose a good hotel and spend some of your time doing spa. You could do a day trip outside the city - Ayutthaya is a good one, you see some Buddhist ruins, and you can take the boat back to the city.

Believe me, you wouldn't want to rent a car anywhere near Bangkok. Some people do rent cars in the far north, the Golden Triangle area. If you want a day trip outisde the city, get a car and driver.

CM is a huge, sprawling city. Staying outside of town could be nice and relaxing. Or, as I mentioned earlier, consider the Anantara at the Golden Triangle (you would fly in to Chiang Rai).