Flying to Bangkok Dec 4?

Nov 28th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Flying to Bangkok Dec 4?

Hi,

I'm booked to fly Thai Airways to Chiang Mai via Bangkok on 4 Dec. After a week there I will fly to Bangkok for a week.

All my flights and accom are paid for in full through my travel agent.

My question is, as my flight to Bangkok stops at Phuket, if they can't take me any further, will I be able to get from Phuket to Chiang Mai? Is it their responsibility to get me there?

I'd at least like to get to Chiang Mai and then I can find a way to get to Bangkok by land if necessary.

I can't seem to get much information from my travel agent so any ideas that anyone has would be appreciated.

Sue
Nov 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Situation is very fluid; nobody knows for sure. What is clear is that most of the flights currently operating - whether from Phuket, Chiang Mai or O-Tapao - are to get stranded passengers out of Thailand; or to get those who are stranded elsewhere to get home. And there are still thousands of those on many many airlines.

And since the capacity of those airports are less than BKK and DMK, and many aircrafts are still stranded at BKK, the backlogs are getting longer for each days those airports are closed.

If you have to get to Bangkok, then just prepare to do it whatever way you need to - get to somewhere in Asia first (preferably Singapore; but Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong may also work), then wait around the airport for news; or train/bus from Malaysia.

If you don't have to go, then you should make alternate travel plans.
Nov 28th, 2008, 04:27 PM

raod transportation from phuket to bkk takes about 10 hours and is available....the train goes to chiang mai as do buses..

i would skip chiang mai!!
Nov 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply.

I've just contacted my travel agent and she says to wait until midday Tuesday to see what Thai Airways says then.

I don't have to go to Thailand but would really like to. If they can't get me there then maybe I'll opt for a holiday in Hong Kong, or a mix of KL and Singapore.

I'm a 54 female travelling alone and I honestly don't think that I have the energy to make my way
overland from Phuket to Chiang Mai.

I suppose another option is to just go to Phuket and stay at a nice resort for the first week (if they can get me there) and see if things clear up in Bangkok for my second week.

I've had an extremely harrowing year and I'm determined to get away to somewhere before I start a new job on Dec 22.

Kind regards,

Sue
Nov 29th, 2008, 05:01 AM

You might find Singapore or Hong Kong more interesting to spend 2 weeks solo. Look up Cicerone's posts re Hong Kong. Both have hotels with nice pools (kinda beach experience) and there are beach areas nearby. From HK you could do a few mainland China days as well.
Nov 29th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Sue, if you go to Singapore you can easily fly to Phuket from there, takes about 1 hr 30, normally 8-9 flights per day, Silk Air ( part of Singapore Airlines ) have extra flights, at the moment it is 9 per day on Silk Air ( full service airline )and 3 with Tiger Airways ( budget airline ).
Although busy hotels and resort accommodation on Phuket should not be a problem.

Alternatives would be from Singapore perhaps Penang might suit you ?
Nov 29th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Also from Phuket you have Krabi and Khao Lak nearby, if you wanted something quieter.
We don't know your budget or how you want to spend your days but if you let us know many will help, Bob has been to Khao Lak recently.
Nov 29th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

At the moment I'm inclining towards changing my arrangements and going to Hong Kong or Singapore. I've been to both places but feel that I can find plenty more to see and do.

My main concern with going to Thailand is that I might not be able to get out when I want to and a delayed start is not going to make me very popular when beginning a new job! Also, I'm getting pressure from the family regarding possible safety issues in Thailand because of the uncertain political situation.

I'll go and see the travel agent tomorrow to see what refunds I can get (if any) and try to make new arrangements.

In the meantime I'll read Cicerone's posts and do some research on accommodation. My budget is around US200 so if anyone has any recommendations for Hong Kong in particular, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Sue
Nov 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM

I totally understand about needing to get back to work on time. In this economic crisis, one can't take such gambles. Good luck with your Plan B. Happy Travels!
Nov 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM

i might consider spending part of my time in phuket and part in krabi...

look at the amari vogue near krabi, the sheraton also and several other hotels nearby...also lots of cheaper places..

we loved the meridien in phuket
Nov 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know how my arrangements to reorganise my Thailand trip turned out this morning.

Fortunately, I was able to be credited with the full amount that I had paid (nearly $4,000 AUS) and that was used to pay for 11 nights in Hong Kong. I'm leaving on Wednesday 3/12 and returning on 14/12.

I had some trouble finding accommodation though. All of Kowloon was booked up and only a few hotels on Hong Kong Island were available. In the end I booked the Ramada on Des Voeux Road West, Western District. It looks a bit far out but beggars can't be choosers and I really had no choice. I don't mind walking though (get rid of some of the calories from the fabulous food that I'll be seeking out). Thanks for the restaurant recommendations Guenmai.

I intend to take my time wandering around by myself, eating and sightseeing. I'll get an Octopus card and use public transport or walk.

I'm still disappointed about not being able to go to Thailand which I had been researching for a year, but now I'll put that behind me and look to making the most of my stay in Hong Kong. My travel agent said that she spent a wonderful fortnight there recently.

Now I have to cancel my two days with Tong, and also Poon in Chiang Mai and Nok in Bangkok. Not looking forward to that at all.

Thank you all for your interest and suggestions. I'll let you know how I went when I return.

Best wishes,

Sue

Nov 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Almost all major hotels in Hong Kong are bookable for 12/3 to 12/14. And A$4,000 will give you lots of choices, many better hotels than the Ramada with better locations.

What sites were you looking? What's your new budget? Do you have to book through a specific agent/site?

And how much are you paying for the Ramada?
Nov 30th, 2008, 10:56 PM

Also, 11 nights in Hong Kong is a lot of time. At the very least, spend 2 nights in Macau, where hotels are cheaper. Lots of new hotels there with very competitive rate.
Dec 1st, 2008, 12:21 AM

There are direct flights Phuket-Chiang Mai. Perhaps you could discuss that possibility with your travel agent or Thai Airways.

It's really too far to go on land if your time is limited. Maybe just postpone your trip to Chiang Mai and Bangkok til the next time and enjoy the south of Thailand instead. Get off at Phuket and stay there. You could also go on to Krabi or Ko Samui, much nicer than dull cities like KL and Singapore.

Search this Thread