what to carry in BKK?

Search

what to carry in BKK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to carry in BKK?

I have just booked my first tour to Thailand as a single female. Most of the time I will be with a group on a bus tour, other days I will have free time to explore alone.

My question is what should I carry with me? I plan on taking one suitcase and a backpack on the flight. When I explore BKK would I then take a purse, day pack, messenger bag? I want to carry a map, water bottle, and of course my camera for sure.
Thanks for your suggestions
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:23 PM

While out exploring Bangkok, I want to have cash, a credit card and an ATM card, my Nancy Chandler map, some hand wipes, and a camera. Most/all of this can fit in a small waistpack or a purse. I'm not fond of backpacks in the city - you're always whopping people with them when you turn around on the Skytrain. Messenger bags are too big for my preferences. No need to carry water everywhere, as you can buy it anywhere. I buy some, carry it until it's gone, buy another bottle as I need it.

It's hot and humid - carry as little as you can.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM

kathie has hit the nail on the head again as usual...

my wife carries nothing unless she is planning on buying something and then she takes a 'monk type bag'...

you rarely need to be concerned with pick pockets except maybe in some extremely conjested areas like getting off the skytrain when everyone heads for the escalator or on some skytrains at certain hours or in very crowded markets..
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM

Kathie's tip of hand wipes is essential in my view .I also carry a little terry towelling face washer from the hotel as I tend to perspire a lot in the heat / humidity and like 'mop' my brow .
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM

I'm a single female in her early 50s who will be travelling solo to Thailand for the first time in December.

Like you, I was unsure as what to carry my things in when I was out and about during the daytime. I tend to take things such as a purse, fabric hat, water, maybe small umbrella, hand wipes, face tissues, toilet tissue, bandaids, panadol, etc. etc (probably way too much but I'm the type of person who likes to be prepared!)

Anyway, I came across the Pacsafe range of bags. Here in Aust they are available at camping/travel stores and they are also available on line. They are anti-theft with steel reinforced fabric which resists cutting and also have other pickpocket-proof features.

I purchased an over-the-shoulder bag which will hold all my goodies without being too bulky, but they also have a huge range of other smaller purses and also a big range of messenger bags and backpacks.

Perhaps you would like to check these out?

Best wishes for a great trip.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM

the less the better....almost anything you need is available at the 7/11's that are on every corner..
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM

Sue, the Pacsafe bags are nice. But I wouldn't carry all the things you carry just wandering around Bangkok. Some of those things you might want to have with you if you were going away from your hotel and easily available shops for a whole day. But in Bangkok, you'll want to travel light.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM

I agree with everyone who has said to tavel light. I tend to wear my zip-off pants which have several velcro pockets along the legs. In them I put any money or credit card (I usually only carry one) and my Nancy Chandler map. DH carried a water bottle in his pocket and the camera in his pther pocket (until it took a swim and died - more on that in my trip report when I get to it). That was pretty much it. Enjoy BKK! I wasn't sure about it my first day or two, but it definitely grew on me and by my last day when we were between flights I didn't want to leave.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM

I'm also early 50s and I take one of my Kipling, mini travel shoulder purses/bags. I've used Kipling for decades....purses, carry-on bags, and suitcases. I have a big collection.
They're very lightweight, super durable and can be rained on and go through a lot of other beating up and still look great. I don't know where you live, but there are Kipling stores and luggage stores usually carry pieces of it although it's best to get to a Kipling store. There are 2 here in L.A. area and 2 in Bangkok although Kipling is VERY expensive in Bangkok.It's moderately priced here in the States and T.J.Maxx usually carries pieces of it. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM

Thanks Kathie and others, I'll take your advice about reducing what I carry around Bangkok.

I think that maybe I'm underestimating how tiring the heat and congested walkways will be.

I don't know if wlbox is like me, but I'm also in danger of packing far too many clothes and toiletries. However, I'm determined to endeavour to travel light in that department as well by taking just a few light, easy to launder long pants, skirts and shirts that will be cool and dry quickly.

Jen, I'll look into those pants with the velcro pockets. In Bangkok I'm staying at the Pathumwan Princess Hotel which I believe is very central to the main shopping area of Siam Square so perhaps all I'll need is some money and a map in my pocket when I'm hitting the shops! It will be wonderful not to have to worry about carrying a bag.

Best wishes,

Sue
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM

btw, my wife stopped taking skirts a few years ago...and she is 64...slacks and crop pants...
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM

btw, we do not do that much walking between places in bkk as the heat and humidity are just tooooo much....we use taxis frequently and the skytrain....it allows you to do way more than you could otherwise...
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 02:05 AM

I just finished traveling in Bangkok and found that my small Eagle Creek purse worked great. It was important to me to have something big enough to carry a guidebook in, as we did a lot of exploring on our own without a tour guide. I also carried a travel wallet with passport & essential documents & backup money (inside the eagle creek purse), charmin travel toilet paper roll, tissues, a kerchief for wiping the sweat from my face, sunscreen, sunglasses, bug spray, and stuck an umbrella in the outer cell phone pocket. I personally recommend a purse that has a long strap you can wear across your body for added security, and like people said, something not too bulky for walking on crowded streets. We did the 7-11 constant refill of water bottles as well, and just carried them by hand as we walked along.
I hope that helps.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 04:34 AM

jc
I always carry my little travel roll of Charmin as well. It comes in handy sometimes!
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Yeah, throw some toilet paper in...never leave home without it. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for just the input I was needing. Do you also carry your passport or just a copy?

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM

I don't normally carry my passport, I leave it in the safe. I will take a copy is I plan to buy enough from a store that I can get a VAT refund (you need the passport or copy for this). If you want to cash travelers checks, you'll need your passport, or a copy of the identifying page.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM

we carry neither the passport or a copy...have never needed it....for VAT they have allowed us to fill in the info later
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 05:15 AM

we personally prefer to have passports with us at all times but it is up to you.

one other tip in terms of packing light - if you are doing a carry on bag only and worried about the liquid restrictions, you can easily pick up common brands of toiletries at the 7-11 stors (like Bob mentioned, there is one on every corner). I bought toothpaste & deodorant after mine ran out.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 05:45 AM

jc
I'm like you. My passport is always with me.
Carol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -