Airport or city hotel the night before departure

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As we know flights out of Bangkok to the US depart really early -- like 6AM. The day before we leave Bangkok for Chicago, we are flying from Krabi and arrive BKK about noon. Do we go into the city for one night, knowing we will have to get up at 3 am or some ungodly hour to get to the airport in time for our flight? Or is there easy transportation mid-day to the city, so that we could check in at the Amari Airport hotel, head into town for the day, then make it an early evening and come back to the Amari for a quick night of sleep?
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Bob just did this for that early flight, at that time it really doesn't make a difference being downtown, I wouls say head downtown and then it should not tale that long at about 3 am, the Amari is very expensive, I think around USD 140 or more. It has that convenice fo walk thru to the terminal, but if you are arriving from krabi midday perhaps you could enjou a nice place downtown for a lot less that that, or maybe balance with somewhere like the Sofitel Grand Plaza, not airport but 20 minutes away.

www.bangkok-stopover-hotels.com will give some ideas.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Sorry got that link wrong

www.bangkok-stopover-hotels.travelreporter.com
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:10 PM

I'd stay intown and have a decent hotel. It won't take long to get to the airport.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Airport hotels in Bkk are not great esp for what you will pay. You are going to be in your hotel for almost the whoel day as you will check in around one. I would stay in a city hotel. Early Am to the airport will be half an hour and it will be worth it to be somewhere nice. I would suggest one of the Ploenchit-Chitlom locations as you will be right in the center of the city to spend your day, near the BTS and will not spend time commuting when you choose to step out - Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt, Raffles, Intercontinental, Conrad.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Leaving so early means the traffic will be light but in the middle of the day it may take an hour or more from airport to city. Do not get a group pick up - limo or taxi . Where you stay depends on what you want to do . By the time you check in it will be mid afternoon .Some sites may close mid afternoon .Shops are open late in to the night as are the markets It takes time to move around the city in a taxi.The monorail services certain sections .Is there anything you want to particularly do or see in the city ? That will determine where to stay .
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:25 AM

We have always stayed at the Amari on the executive floor when we have an early flight so that we get the extra half hour or so to sleep. On the executive floor breakfast is included and they will bring it to your room when you want it. There is a separate check-in/check-out so it is quick. If you want to go into Bangkok for the afternoon, its easy - walk over to the departures area and catch a taxi dropping someone off.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:53 AM

No need to stay at an airport hotel. Stay at a non-airport hotel of your choice and just get up early and go to the airport. Have a private hotel car take you. Some hotels even provide breakfast to go for you. Last summer, my last night was at the Metropolitan Hotel and although I just took a taxi to the airport, there was a couple checking out at the same time I was...around 4:30AM and they had ordered a hotel car and their to-go breakfast was put in the car for them. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I thought the airport was much further from the city. We won't have done much shopping up to this point so I think it's a great idea to stay somewhere near to good shopping. We'll just have the afternoon... would like to be able to walk out the door and go to good stores and a place for dinner. Any recommendations? I would be shopping for local craft-type stuff... not jewelry, tailoring, or high end anything. Is Ploenchit-Chitlom the right place for that?
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:54 PM

depends on when you are going but the airport is changing to a new location some time in the next year..

i would only stay in town...!! it is easy at any time of day...i made it as quickly as 25 minutes last month on a sunday at 4PM...normal you have to allow an hour...

i would choose the jw marriott for the best highway on and off...secondly i would do the landmark, westin or sheraton grande or the intercontinental or the brand new holiday inn on plenochit...all of these give you quick access...at noon plan on a one hour trip to town or less...
this plan will be best for your shopping...the intercontinental and HI would be best for last minute shopping--imo

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 11:58 AM

As for shopping...The Four Seasons is walking distance to The World Trade Center/Central World Shopping Center and Nyraphand(sp?)Thai craftstore...with about everything under one roof...It's across the street from The World Trade Center/Central World Shopping and Amarin Plaza...next to the Erawan Shrine... is also walking distance from the Four Seasons along with Gaysorn Mall and the hotel is just one skytrain stop from the Siam Center and MBK. The skytrain is across the street from the hotel. Plus you can jump on the skytrain at Siam Station to go down the Sukhumvit line and hit more shopping and restaurants along the way. Order Nancy Chandler's map...a must...nancychandler.net and all of this will be drawn on the map. Happy Travels!