Air Cond'g in Beijing Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - I'm travelling to Beijing for the Olympics! I must be nuts - especially with the hot, humid weather. I plan to stay at a 3-star hotel. What can I expect regarding air conditioning. For instance, generally speaking, can you set the controls yourself, or are you at the mercy of the centralized system?
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM

We went to Beijing June '07 and stayed at a 3-star hotel. Our rooms had individual thermostats, but after I set ours to go several degrees cooler, it never reached the desired temperature. While the temperature in the room was comfortable, I would have preferred the usual 68-70 degrees that I enjoy at home. My children also experienced that in their room as well, so it must have something to do with a pre-set level.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

I'm considering staying at a location near the heart of the city: Harmony Hotel, HWA Apartments/Hotel, or the Best Western Premier. Any experiences with any of these? Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM

Many hotels in China, including 4 and 5 stars will say they have individually controlled AC, but in fact the house sets the limits. This is unfortunate as my usual hotels have tripled their prices to greet their visitors

Perhaps they will go all out for the Olympics and relax the controls...doubt it.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Ni hao Olympictraveler .....

Here’s an excerpt from our Trip Report to Beijing last year in August 07 regarding hotel airconditioning:

“A few weeks prior to our departure, we read in the China Daily that the Government had ordered – as opposed to previously requested – all hotels to immediately set their minimum airconditioning temperatures at 26oC (about 78oF) in order to reduce power use/pollution. Our hotel room had a remote to set the airconditioning, and we could still set it at any temperature we wanted. That said, we chose 26-27oC as the most comfortable and healthwise, best for us as walkers to reduce the body shock of going from a chilled room to the hot and humid outdoors. We also used the charming little courtyard and our patio extensively, to keep our systems acclimatized to the atmosphere in which we would be exploring.”

If you’d like the read the whole report –
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35086329

Any questions, don’t hesitate ...

Jackie
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. I may bring a battery operated fan with me - in addition to a dozen bottles of water!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Olympictraveler- Why not go to WalMart and buy a fan? It can't cost that much.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better still, buy when you get there. Why on earth would you take water with you?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Re: water, even at 5-star hotels there are signs warning about drinking. And who knows where the domestic water is sourced!!!
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chinese hotels provide boiled water in thermos flasks. Plus, surprise, surprise, you can buy perfectly safe bottled water in China.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Olymicstraveler, you can buy bottled water everywhere, including imported bottled water if you'd like. Bringing a dozen bottles of water with you would last, what, perhaps a couple or three of days in the hot Beijing weather?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Actually Chinese hotels these days all provide kettles for the boiling of tap water. Beijing has modern (French) water purification plants, which take out not only the bacterial matter but the heavy metals. The problems remain in the ancient and grungy pipes adding bacterial issues back in. Boiling deals with these. Restaurants sell bottled water and provide boiled water or tea on request.

Peter N-H
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 01:32 AM

I always use the hotel bottled water and if you need more just call and ask for it. Its not the tird world so don't worry. I would not though drink tap water. It wont kill you like in India but still not great to drink. Boiled water all the way or bottled
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 03:57 AM

Thursdayd- I meant the WalMart in Beijing! not the one at home. I should have said that specifically. If she bought the local fan, then she could plug it in at the hotel without any problem. Sorry I was unclear.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 05:19 AM

We bought bottled water just around the corner from our hotel in a little 7/11-type store. The label on the bottles said it was processed and bottled and sealed by the local Coca-Cola bottler. Safe as can be, I'd say.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM

Wow, I havent heard of people being afraid of bottled water before, hehe. I drank tap water only a very small handful of times, and was ok. Bringing bottled water with you would be a great idea, cause you will definately be unique!

I got a kick out of the labels on the bottles I got on my trip. Last month a bottle I got in Mongolia was actually bottled in the US for US sale (according to the label hahah). So I felt like I was rich drinking "American Water".

I will admit, I am upset that I missed seeing a walmart in Beijing!! Had I known there was one, I would have gone just to go and get a picture!!

BTW: Only two places I stayed at (hostels) had locked air-con settings. But both were in plastic cases, which a paperclip bent in the right way was able to squeeze in and change the settings. Not sure what steps fancy hotels have to keep it set.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your messages. I was concerned about the water quality after hearing that the US Olympic team is bringing their own water. And what's good for them is good for....
Anyway, I'll keep your advice in mind.