Hutong Hotels in Beijing

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hutong Hotels in Beijing

We are visiting Beijing in May/June to see my son. It is our second visit and we would like to stay in a Hutong Hotel.
Can anyone recommend one of the following?
Sihe Courtyard Hotel
Banqiao Hutong
Beijing Lusongyuan Hotel
Bamboo Garden Hotel
Hotel Cote Cour SL
THANKS
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM

I'm looking to stay in one too. This one looked good: Tiang Xiang Courtyard Hotel http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hote...ge=2&viewType=

Also this one: http://www.haoyuanhotel.com/engs.asp...aoyuan%20Hotel
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 01:12 AM

In August last year, we loved our stay at the Spring Garden Hotel in the Nanwei Hutong, a newly-restored hutong residence with just eight rooms:

http://www.beijinghotelchina.com/spr...den/hotel.html

If you click on my name, you’ll see my trip report and hotel review under “Beijing
Impressions: TR August 07”.

If you need any more info, just ask.

Ni hao,
Jackie
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 10:35 PM

Let's remember that hutong merely means alley. So there are lots of hotels in hutong. What you're looking for (presumably) is a hotel thats in a siheyuan or courtyard house; or larger multi-courtyard mansion.

> Beijing Lusongyuan

This is taking tour groups these days and has prices a little above its station.

> Bamboo Garden

An option, but mostly made up of modern buildings. Just the site is old.

>Hotel Cote Cour SL

Essentially brand new rather than traditional, and with iffy service. Highly priced.

In short I wouldn't choose any of these. I visited a lot of different courtyard hotels quite recently, but cannot put my hand on my notes at the moment. Carry on casting around because there are plenty of other choices.

The prices on the Tianxiang look a bit ridiculous.

Peter N-H
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your useful advice. I have asked my son to visit a few of the hotels so will let you know what he thinks when he gets back to me.

We stayed at the Novetel Peace Hotel on our last visit and just thought it would be good to stay somewhere more Chinese the second time we visit Beijing.

Jo
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:18 AM

We stayed at the SiHe last September and would highly recommend it to you. It is simple, clean, classic Chinese with lovely staff - fair English skills. The hotel sits on a very small and quiet alley - lovely to get away from the bustle of the city - and stay within a few minutes of main streets. Easy walking to many sites including Forbidden City and Wang fu Jung Street. After only a few walks out to the main street, the hutong residents will smile and make you feel even more "at home."