Affordable Massages

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affordable Massages

Just got back from a wonderful second trip to Thailand with my husband. P.S. thank you all for your wonderful hotel tips few months ago...csimpson especially thanks! Katathani in Phuket was awesome!Trip report to come soon...

My chronic backpain temporarily gone from the wonderful massages I recieved there especially in 500-600Baht range in Phuket and Bangkok. So I didnt really go for the cheap stuff but also not too extravagant either.

Is there any other place in the world like Thailand that offers decent affordable, clean, day spas with affordable massages?

Bali? Singapore? Every person has different ideas of a vacation, for me its health and well being and so I am curious.

Thank you
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM

Singapore is much more expensive. Bali has less expensive spas similar to Thailand (along with some really high priced spas).
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM

Like you I have suffered with chronic back pain for a number of years so one of the first things I do is upon arrival is to check out the massage situation. I usually try to get one a massage in , if not every day, then every other day, as they are so inexpensive (outside of the 5* establishements) compared with home in the UK.
When in Bangkok we always pay a couple of visits to the massage school in Wat Po. We returned last week from Luang Prabang and found a great place called Spa Garden who provided some of the best masaages I have ever had. Lao massages is similar to Thai with a bit of deep tissue work thrown in. The cost for 90mins body massage was $7 and 60 mins foot $5 which was a litte more expensive than the average in LP apart from the hotels where it was about 10% of the cost!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:17 AM

Note to those who have bad backs; Thai-type massage which involves lots of pushing and stretching and is rather strenuous may be helpful to your back or it may make it worse. I have a bad disc, so can't tolerate Thai massage, but I do get gentler massage in Bangkok.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:36 AM

docgirl
I'm so glad you enjoyed the KataThani. I'm always bragging about it here on fodors. It really is a lovely place!

Looking forward to your trip report!

Carol
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Be very clear what type of massage you want even in high end hotels. My massage therapist offered me a happy ending. My understanding is that this is standard in some countries. I am now very clear from the beginning that I only want a standard issue massage.
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:03 PM
pat

Didn`t get a massage in Thailand, but my back felt so much better, sleeping on those hard beds.