a Gujarat dilemma

Search

a Gujarat dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a Gujarat dilemma

As I have posted here,I am beginning to plan my first trip to India. While I was in my favorite neighborhood Indian restaurant here,I mentioned to the owner that I was working on this trip.She told me that her family was returning to Gujarat in June for the summer (the best time for them as the kids will be out of school,) and that I was welcome to come with them!I was touched by her generosity,and would love to do this if I can . This would be monsoon time,however,and wondering if this is an ok time to go or the worst time to go?! She said the rain doesn't stop them from doing what they want to do,we could go north to Agra,do some sightseeing,etc. I'd love to go to India and stay in a home. Anyone been to Gujarat in June?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Monsoon season in June? I think its more like August. Frankly I think you should wait until the fall or winter to go. The summers are brutally hot and A/C is not a given by any means there, i.e. for homes, cars, shops, etc. Its already around 80 degrees in Delhi and in May and June there it hits in the 100's regularly, even 110-115. Guj. may be cooler but it will still be very warm. That being said I must say India is not for everyone. Fascinating in many ways yes but don't expect anything close to the comforts of home and do check into the CDC for medical prophylaxis before going. Any questions? Otherwise good luck.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Monsoon season indeed begins in June in Goa/Mumbai/Gujarat (actually it hits Kerala at the end of May and works its way upward).

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Thank you Agtoua. I recall it being in Aug. in Delhi so that explains it.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

anyone been there in June?
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:28 PM

I've been to India (North, West and SOuth) in June a number of times and it is HOT!! Delhi is especially hot and dry. Gujarat is hot as well and the monsoon season begins around July in this region. Many people from here who go around that time are visiting family and spend a good chunk of their time indoors...I would not reccomend going then. I had plenty of nose bleeds the last time I was there around then due to the heat!!! If you really want to travel and not get bogged down by a heat stroke, I would reconsider the timing of the trip..perhaps the family could put you in touch with her family in Gujarat when you do go..
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM

For a first trip, go when you can enjoy it. June is incredibly hot and humid. And while staying with her family may sound wonderful, remember that there may be no air conditioning and you may have to eat food and drink water that is fine for them because they are used to it but not for you. Go in the fall or early winter. You'll be much hapiper.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your sound advice. I think I'll wait and go in November or December. I hate to pass up the opportunity to go with this family,but all in all,it doesn't seem like a great time to go.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:57 AM

I agree. Good decision and especially if this is your first trip to India do consult with a travel clinic before you go. Sanitation there is sub standard.