Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

800 dollars to fly from Delhi to Shimla?

Old Apr 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this price with Kingfisher surprised me..816.00 dollars for 2 to fly round trip..any other options for flights..or ways to get kingfisher discounts?
JJ
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Simple economics - it's the only flight between those two destinations. Try plugging your dates and destinations into kayak.com. I am coming up with $365pp for late july/early august through the link to Expedia.com (which you can bring up by clicking "select".
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

what do you think of flying into Chandigarh (so much cheaper) ...someone said it is a 4 hour drive...are there things to see on way to Shimla? Is it a nice drive...?
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM

This is high season in Shimla, and that price is for two round trip, fully refundable fares. I thought you wanted to simplify your travels? Flying to Chandigarh creates a whole second layer of scheduling and hiring people.

To fly to Chandigarh will be about $150 RT per person vs the $375 each to Shimla. Of course, then you'll have to find a driver and spend all day on winding, mountainous roads. Since you have to come down the mountain a few days later, you may as well do the second drive to Dharamsala, then fly back to Delhi out of Kangra.

I just don't like mountain driving, unless I know the driver. If anything, I'd try to take the toy train, but be aware that it is often full or cancelled, leaving you looking for a driver in Chandigarh.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

so it would be easier to just fly Kingfisher...I am not sure I get what you are saying about Dharmsala?? I also asked a question on other post on agra and Taj if you dont mind commenting!!
Thanks
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Yes, flying into Shimla is much simpler. RE Dharamsala, I just meant that if you have to take a four hour trip back down the mountain (shimla to Chandigarh), you might as well drive west for 5 hours and go to Dharamsala, then fly out of the airport there (Kangra) which is a cheaper destination!
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 10:21 PM

The flights to / fro Shimla are assured unless the weather throws a spanner in. Dharamsala, though a lovely destination, loved by all who have been there, has erratic flights. I have known flights even by the reliable Kingfisher get cancelled & then you are stuck for the nearest destinations are either Amritsar or Chandigarh, both about 6 hours by road.
I have not been able to keep track of your posts & do not know what time of the year you are planning for. The road from Surajpur to Kalka (Between Chandigarh >> Simla) is being widened, leading to trafiic jams, endemic when the apple / plum orchards are being harvested. However, there is a toy train which leaves Simla in the morning. You could alight at Barog, the station itself will transport you back a hundred years, ask your driver to pick you up from here & either drive to Rishikesh or overnight at Kasauli, a lovely little hill station, yet retaining the old world charm, the Kasauli club is sought after by all & you will bump into a lot of charming people. You will see some great landmarks from your train like the Gurkha centre at Sabathu; the Dagshai school etc.
On the other hand, you could take the road to Pragpur with the lovely Judges Court, for overnight, on your way to Dharamsala. You have some great choices in Amritsar or farm stays in the Punjab.
Very best for your plans!
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:06 AM

One thing I love about Indian English is the word "alight."
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
usernameistaken - I think that's English English, although perhaps a little archaic these days.