2 weeks in Singapore-with toddler!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked flights for myself, my mum & my 16mo to go visit my brother in Singapore . We fly out Feb 18th & have 2 weeks there. Looking for advice, not so much on things to do in Singapore- assume my brother will have a few ideas at this stage-but on suitable sidetrips. (By all means if u have ideas/tips for Singapore I'ld love to hear them too).

Guessing the journey there may be traumatic enough so not interested in anywhere that will take more than a couple of hours to get to (so Thailand not an option). While I love the beach (& snorkelling/diving) mum not so keen these days but I'ld probably get away with a day or two if there was something else to do nearby aswell?

Also, budget is limited!
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 01:58 PM

If you want somewhere driving distance, consider Malacca.

For short flights, consider Penang (under two hours), Bangkok just over 2 hours. Bali would be excellent, but more like 2.5 hours flight.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 09:39 PM

Penang or Langkawi are good options for short side trips.
Old Jan 5th, 2014, 11:40 PM

Lots of destinations in the region are easily reached with flights which will take a max. of 1-2 hours. You can travel there even with a toddler.

I'd recommend Kuching in Sarawak, which has plenty of attractions around it:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/Sarawak/

Singapore itself also has plenty to see and do, enough to keep you busy for several days:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Singapore/
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies-I had it in my head that Bangkok was a longer flight for some reason. Think I'll look at other options anyway as I've been to Bangkok previously & would like to see some new places.
Will definitely look in to Penang & Bali-have always wanted to go there so may do the slightly longer flight. Are both places easy to get around with a toddler & their stroller in tow? Are they a bit calmer than Bangkok which I can't imagine trying to get around with baby (but maybe that's just cos I used Tuk-tuks all the time when I was there).
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:05 AM

In Bali, you hire a car and driver to get around, so very easy even with a toddler. We mostly walked in Georgetown (Penang). It is certainly calmer and less crowded than Bangkok.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 02:29 PM

Bali would be a good destination for all three generations. If you choose a beach resort you would have a wide range of things to do, on the beach and in the nearby neighborhoods. You can relax, have spa treatments, shop, eat, swim, walk on the beach, go to a dance performance.

To see other parts of Bali, like the Ubud area, you can easily arrange a car and driver. Your resort will set this up for you. The snorkling/diving areas are about a 3-4 hour drive from the main resort beaches, but you can arrange a day trip.

I like Seminyak beach because of the variety of restaurants and shops, but if your child wants to swim in the sea, you'd be better off choosing Sanur, Jimbaran or Nusa Dua.

Alternately you could choose to stay in Ubud, for more intensive focus on arts and culture. I think it's a little more difficult to navigate with a small child, but the scenery is glorious and there are many nature and culture oriented activities. (Keep your child away from the monkeys!)

Child care is inexpensive and reliable, though I'd watch your toddler around the pool. There are lots of child-friendly activities. Strollers are less effective in Bali because the sidewalks are inconsistent, but you certainly see a lot of them.

Balinese people love children and will often entertain them while you have a meal or carry them on rice paddy or river valley hikes.

Look at AirAsia for Singapore Bali flights.
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 01:44 AM

In Singapore there are a lot of shopping centres with kid zones, some with water play; they are everywhere, so it depends a little on where you are staying as to which one is appropriate for you. I made a list of them and took it along, but ended up not going to them all, because we were near Orchard Rd and found the Paragon shopping centre had a padded climbing area and slide on the top level, with many child-focussed businesses (clothes, toys), and also an area where kids can do supervised art activities (possibly you are not that far along with your little one yet). There was also a supermarket in the basement, and a number of restaurants and fast-food shops. All air conditioned, ah, bliss. Businesses in that centre were kind of pricey, so beware.

Your flight will be OK if you can pack a lot of small toys or amusements in your bag and bring them out at regular intervals. Novelty is the key - don't let your child see them in advance. Also think about saving some for other legs to the journey. For example, on one journey I did, I had everything stashed away for the plane journey but did not give much thought to the fact that the coach ride to the hotel from the airport was 90 mins. Fortunately we had enough little tricks to keep our kid happy.

We had small boxes of 6 mini-books too, which you can read individually, or turn over and put together to make a puzzle picture, or simply throw to the floor repeatedly and watch Mum and Dad pick up ... (lots of fun for someone that age). A well-stocked iPad is also not a bad idea, if you have one (iBooks, simple apps like DooDoo, which is a drawing app that allows you to save pictures). Just focussing your attention on your kid is generally helpful - don't expect to read or watch movies, you'll be busy!

Lavandula
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 04:37 AM

Singapore is very child friendly. Have a sturdy pushchair, try the MRT off peak. Lots of play areas. Safe tap water. You can get anything in the supermarkets so logistics would be a breeze. Dress cool and light and use sunblock and hydrate your toddler well. I am sure you will a great time.