UA Comes Through Changing our Dec 7th flight into Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm feeling a rather shocking and unusual feeling, warm thoughts towards the competence of United customer service!

I have to say I'm impressed with United right now, before you presume I've lost my mind read on....

Ok I may have had the worst travel planning for sometime, a flight to Delhi via Bangkok, leaving next week!

We had a ridiculous routing, a long story too boring to tell, tied up with using a string of frequent flier awards to create two cheap round-the-world ticket in business. Anyway, we were going NYC-IAD-NRT-BKK Dec 7th (originally this made more sense as we were on the direct Thai flight NYC-BKK which was cancelled), overnight in Bangkok Dec 8th, and then BKK-SIN-DEL Dec 9th.

Our flights to BKK were with ANA (on UA miles). I had just bought a ticket from Singapore AirlinesBangkok to Singapore to connect to the Singapore- Delhi segment (also on miles).

Essentially there was no good reason for us to go to Bangkok, especially with the current situation, but we had this routing because we were using the return portions of flights we took earlier in the year. Because of everything that's going on in Bangkok I called UA to see what they could do. Given that tis was an award ticket I didn't have high expectations. However, they were able to change our tickets from Narita-Bangkok on ANA, to Narita-Singapore on Singapore airlines, also in business. This means we'll overnight in Singapore and avoid all the drama in Bangkok.

I was very surprised they were able to find frequent flier availability and very impressed at the ease of the whole thing. This was an ideal change for us, we avoid Bangkok and knock and entirely unnecessary detour from our itinerary. Now I'm hoping I can get SQ to refund the Bangkok to Singapore flights.

United's travel waiver now covers flights through Dec 15th and I suggest calling them to see if they can accommodate you even if you have an award ticket.

Old Nov 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM

I just spent an hour on the phone with them--trying to get us re-routed to Singapore instead of BKK.

Great rep I spoke with, but they still could come up with nothing, except a flight that had us leave 2 days earlier from SFO (instead of LAX) and had us coming back 5 days earlier (!) via Singapore, BKK, Narita, SFO, then LAX...insane!

I'll take my chances with our flights to Bangkok at this point.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM

I'm glad it worked out for you, brit.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie.

filmwill,
Sorry you're not having any luck and hope something comes through if you do decide to change. Two days early and five days late sounds a little too much!
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Well I had a lot of luck with UA but Singapore's travel waiver only covers flights up to Dec7th while UA and others are covering flights through Dec 15th.

SQ's LA office is closed through Monday but I'm hoping their waiver will be extended too.