Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

2 week Burma itinerary: Yangon-Mandalay-Bagan-Mrauk U doable?

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
Please help me with my itinerary. I was originally supposed to go to Nepal, but with some wonderful reports I've read, I changed my mind and now it's final: BURMA IT IS! I've crafted an itinerary of sorts, but still need help fine tuning it. Does the itinerary look doable, impossible, reaching for the moon, just right? That is, considering all the possible flight delays, road conditions, etc. I'll be traveling on November by the way, to celebrate my 30th birthday

I'm really keen on seeing Mandalay, Bagan and Mrauk U, not so much Inle Lake, which I know is supposedly part of the Big 4. I guess that will just have to be reserved if I ever go back to Burma.

Still, any thoughts on my itinerary below?

Day 0: Manila to BKK to Yangon
Day 1: Yangon flight to Mandalay – Sagaing, U Bien Bridge
Day 2: Mandalay – Mandalay, Amarapura, U Bien Bridge
Day 3: Mandalay to Bagan - train or flight
Day 4: Bagan
Day 5: Bagan
Day 6: Bagan flight to Yangon – flight, sightsee if possible
Day 7: Yangon to Sittwe, sightsee if still possible
Day 8: 6 am ferry to Mrauk U
Day 9: Sightseeing
Day 10: 8 am ferry back to Sittwe
Day 11: Flight from Sittwe to Yangon
Day 12: Yangon – visit gold leaf workshop
Day 13: Back to BKK
Day 14: Back to Manila

I can add or subtract days as necessary. It's a very rough itinerary I know. Will really appreciate any inputs. Thanks guys!
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 05:44 AM

If you really want to see Mrauk U, you need more time. I'd highly recommend that you visit Inle Lake instead.

The gold leaf workshops are in Mandalay, not Yangon.

I'd recommend flying to HeHo for Inle Lake first, three nights. Then on to Mandalay, two nights. Bagan, three or four nights depending on your level of interest in the temples. Then return to Yangon for a couple of nights.

The trip to Mrauk U is long. Staying in Sittwe is not pleasant... latest reports are that even the "best" guesthouses are infested with rats or bats. It's a very long trip, and I certainly wouldn't do it for one day of sightseeing.

If you want to travel in November, you need to contact a travel agent to make your arrangements NOW.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie! Rats and bats? Two of my least favorite things! But I'm adamant about Mrauk U for some reason.

What if I add a day or two to Mrauk U, will that make it worth the long trip?

I'm planning to contact Santa Maria, based on your reports as well as the recommendations of others.

I guess I can extend then.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Add a day or two to Mrauk U, then it is worth the trip. Also, if you are willing to pay for a private boat, you can get to Mrauk U and back without staying overnight in Sittwe.

Inle Lake is also well worthwhile. If you have the time, add it in as well. I'd even substitute that for Mandalay.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

I will add a day to Mrauk U then. As for Mandalay or Inle Lake, I guess I'll just base it on how easy it is to get to one place. I think Mandalay may be easier to get into from/to Yangon and Bagan. But maybe I'll just take your suggestion as you know Burma very well I emailed Santa Maria already too Thank you Kathie! I will work on my itinerary again