Last Minute Short Trio to Myanmar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So excited but getting stressed out because this will be a last minute side trip from Manila. But, I know I can always count on generous advice and tips from fodorites who have traveled to this part of SE Asia. We originally thought about taking a trip to northern Vietnam and Luang Prabang but Myanmar is calling us, so here we are. The trip would be just for eight days, 3rd week of October and flying from Manila and back. Would appreciate very much any advice on first time visit. About us: husband and wife in our early 60's, love to travel independently and try various cuisines and are somewhat active. We have been travelling independently for the last 26 years to almost all the continents; in SE only Cambodia (last year) and Philippines. Thank you very much, appreciate any feedback.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Ooops, too excited..I meant trip and not trio... sorry!
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:31 PM

I'd suggest you get a local agency in Yangon to help you make arrangements. There are plenty of good agencies - we use Santa Maria. They can schedule internal flights, can book hotels (usually at better prices than you can get yourself) and can arrange for any guides or cars and drivers you may want. I'd have them book the airport transfer at HeHo (Inle Lake), but you don't need an airport transfer in Bagan, and the trip is very short.

People talk about the "Big Four" destinations in Myanmar: Yangon, Inle Lake, Bagan and Mandalay. You don't have time for all of them. You will be flying in and out via Yangon, I expect, so I'd suggest arranging to fly on to your first destination as soon as you land in Yangon, heading either to Inle Lake or Bagan, spend 3 nights (so you get two full days) at each Inle and Bagn, and spend your last 2 nights in Yangon. (I've assumed you have 8 nights)

Enjoy! Myanmar has become our favorite SE Asia destination.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie. I just finished reading your 1st trip; am on your 2nd trip... you're such an inspiration. I also recorded Smithsonian's 2-segment Burma. I did email Santa Maria a few days ago but did not hear from them yet. Yes, we will take a shorter version of your 1st trip. Do you still have a contact person at SM? Maybe if I email her/him directly I will get a respond, appreciate it, thanks again.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

OMG, I just finished perusing Chery's photos, your 2nd and 3rd trip reports. They're just beautiful and touching! Between you and Cheryl, you will make Mynamar the most coveted trip to take. Thank you very much for taking us along your wonderful trip. Your TR/Photos are the most if not one of the most touching, exhilarating I've ever read/seen, bravo to both of you!
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 10:10 AM

Glad you enjoyed the trip reports and photos. As you can tell, we love the place and are planning a further trip there in 2017.

Give Santa Maria a few days to respond, internet is still only episodically reliable in Myanmar. If you don't hear back from them soon, just write again, and tell them that Kathie and Cheryl recommended them to you. I write to them at [email protected]