1st time in Bangkok

Oct 21st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

1st time in Bangkok

we will be in Bangkok for the first time for 4 nights, pre-cruise. Can you please recommend the best area to stay in. We are a middle aged couple, not interested in the "night life" and would like a good hotel. I have heard the river area is the place to be, but have also heard that it is away from easy transportation.

thanks for your help and suggestions.
Oct 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM

I would stay on the river best place (IMHO) skytrain is in easy reach of Shangri-la (minutes away), ROS, Peninsula, Hilton, The oriental
your budget will be the deciding factor which one... tell us what it is and we can help you
Oct 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

thank you Smeagol,

we think about 100-150.00 per night. Judging by prices I have seen, that should get us a decent hotel.

Oct 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM

us$???
Oct 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

sorry!! yes, USD
Oct 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM

$150 US will probably not get you a premium river hotel. Check sawadee.com. They are very reliable. The Royal Orchid Sheraton and Marriott are probably the only top river hotels that might be that price.

You can also stay at the Centre Point Silom serviced apartments. They are very close to the river and convenient to the skytrain and river ferry. Many on this forum have stayed at these serviced apartments and raved about them.
Oct 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM

Regular hotels with air, hot water, private toilet start around 500-700 baht. A price of $100 to $150 for Bangkok will get you a pretty good hotel!

If you want to save some money and still fit the best rooms into your budget, try the Asia Hotel. It is right on a Skytrain stop. Easy walk to shopping on Phetchaburi Road. The Skytrain can take you to many places like MBK and Chatuchak market.
http://www.asiahotel.co.th/asia_bangkok.htm

You can check out the Pathumwan Princess. It is Near a Skytrain stop and near MBK.
http://www.bangkok.com/pathumwan/

Oct 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM

Sukhumvit area is also filled with many hotel choices. The Holiday Inn Ploenchit will cost you maybe $115.. without breakfast? I've stayed there. It's nice! Skytrain is practically right at the door!

Also, on Sukhumvit soi 2 is the Majestic Grande. Not too far from the skytrain station. I've also stayed here. It, too, is nice, for about the same price as Hol Inn, but it includes breakfast.

Serviced apartments are a good consideration. You get more space, plus have your room cleaned just like a hotel room everyday. Some include breakfast. CentrePoint was mentioned. It is nearer to the river and you just might get a good river view. I've not stayed there, but some on this board have, and they usually give it good reviews.

Carol
Oct 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM

carol has given you a couple of good suggestions....

i would add the marriott courtyard which is in back of the 4 seasons hotel...

i think you would very much enjoy the marriott resort and spa...on the discount sites you can get it for perhaps $160....

www.asiarooms.com
www.agoda.com

this will include breakfast (fabulous) and tax/service, plus the best pool in bkk which you will relish after your long trip from usa...
Oct 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Carol,

I've seen some of your post where you are quite high on the Adelphi suites. Do you still feel they are a good choice?
Oct 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Hi

I wenr to Bangkok with my wife last year. Maybe you can find some useful info in my trip report with pictures and links http://gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm . I would say that Sukhumwit is a good area to stay at but I also enjoyed my stay at Labu by the river last year. Get in touch if you have any questions

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures