1 Day in each, What to do?

Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

1 Day in each, What to do?

We are cruising Feb/March 05 and have 1 day in each place. Which places are easy to do your own thing and if so what?
We don't like beaches much.
Da Nang -Vietnam
Singapore
Port Kelang - KL
Phuket
Colombo
Cochin
Nov 4th, 2004, 12:23 AM

Port Keelang stop is usually for those heading into KL, I only stopped thru many moons ago and there is not that much around the Port though at the same time the trek into KL is fine if you want such a journey to see a city.
In Singapore it is so easy with MRT, from the port there would be taxis to get you to the nearest MRT station and then really it depends on whether you want to go shopping or go to the many activities/exhibitions etc that are forever in Singapore. This is an MRT Map which might be of use:

http://www.smrt.com.sg/smrt/routemap/routemap.htm

In Phuket ( I guess from routing you are not on Star Cruises which often anchor in Patong Bay so I guess your ship ,will 'dock' at the dock near Phuket Town ). You really have a choice of doing the tours as offered onboard for Phuket, heading to Patong for some beach and shopping or perhaps one of the quieter beaches, getting transport from the Port won't be a problem as there will no doubt be plenty or car+drivers ready to give you an island tour.
Sometimes on forums there are posters for whom $20 is a lot, for others $100 is loose change, so how 'reliable/comfortable/organised' you want your day to be can be relevant to what you want to spend, you can get a driver from the port who will take you places but you might not feel totally in control, there is Wat Chalong Temple, the Gibbon Santuary which are of interest, shopping or beaches. Now if you are happy to spend a little then local car rental companies can offer you a rental together with a driver, that way you get a nice new clean car + reliable driver who won't scam you or anything. A normal rental would be avout $40, say $20-25 for the driver plus about $10 for fuel, say $75 for a whole day in a nice clean a/c sedan, you can check out options on where to go and your loyal driver will be there to open your car door for you!
I might venture to suggest that once you are onboard the ship you no doubt will meet others who might want a 'non-tour' day. If say 5-7 of you all wanted an independant tour then even on board you can contact Avis or Budget on Phuket island to arrange a 9 seater van plus diver, split that between you all and you have got a first class arrangement from a top company. Split the cost between say 7 of you and you would pay about $20 each. That is what I would do. If you just want to be 'alone' then considor a car+driver from the port or pre-book with say Phuket Airport Car rental or Davids car Rental, Avis and Budget are also on Phuket and both will provide decent drivers, and it is something you can book once on the ship as all modern ships have Internet these days.

Do tell us the ship??
Nov 4th, 2004, 12:29 AM

Would love to know which ship you are on?
Nov 4th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

We are on the Oriana, P & O , departing 23rd Feb 05 three nights in Hong Kong then onboard.
Tried to book this trip for 04 and found it was fully booked, so 05 it is!
We end in Mumbai ( Bombay).
Looking forward very much to it, our first time in that area.
Thanks for the info JamesA
Lots of research to do before we go!
Nov 4th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Let me add to JamesAs comments. Colombo is a small city with loads of charm and u should definitely spend the day exploring it. Do go to Galle Face Hotel for a cup of coffee or mid afternoon tea (food is not very good - setting is amazing) and sit outside on the verandah and enjoy the waves breaking against the shore, framed by amazing palm trees. Great shopping too in Colombo - u can buy a Sri Lankan Noritake set for a fraction of what it would cost u anywhere else in the world. In Colombo u will be fine catching local three wheeler auto rickshaws. Cochin is also an interesting town to explore. Suggest u try to book a car and driver. Go to the Brunton Boatyard hotel and enjoy a leisurely meal in an aboslutely charming boutque hotel (look it up on www.cghearth.com) then explore the Jewish synagogue around the corner. Shop!
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Hobbes
Thank you for your reply.Pardon my lack of knowledge but
what is a Sri Lankan Noritake set ?
Nov 5th, 2004, 11:03 PM

I'm an expat living in Phuket,I can't imagine anyone going to Port Klang, It's very scruffy and the river is filthy,maybe the ship needs supplies or something,my suggestion there would be to stay on the ship and save your energy for Phuket,you'll need it.
Lots to do in Phuket,one day is not enough so much to do and see,can't list everything here but if you email me I will give you a whole load of things to do.
Nov 6th, 2004, 01:01 AM

Sorry - Noritake is a brand of china dinnerware mad ein various locations - Japan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka. Sri Lankan is cheapest of the 3 and ridiculously cheap bought in Colombo. www.noritake.com. They pack it very well so it becomes travel proof.
Nov 6th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Hobbes
The ship goes to port Klang and puts an a bus to KL.
Nov 6th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Original Poster

Sorry last reply was to sydneyx!
Nov 15th, 2004, 03:41 AM

That makes more sense,
Have a good trip