zurich airport

Aug 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

zurich airport

How early do I really need to get to the Zurich airport for a flight back to the US? I can get free transportation that will get me there 1 1/2 hours before my flight, or I can take a taxi for $200 to get there earlier. Can I take the chance that I won't miss my flight?
Aug 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Why are those your only two options? There is frequent train service between Zurich's main train station and the airport. I don't remember the cost but it is certainly nowhere near $200.
Aug 20th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Hi eyechick,

Check in cutoffs depend on the airline you are flying, although I am not aware of any carrier with a cutoff of 90 minutes at Zurich, with most it is just under an hour unless you are flying to Tel Aviv.

You need to check the website of your airline for the exact cutoff time, this is often specific to the airport of departure and class of travel and sometimes to the destination as well.

If possible, I would strongly recommend printing out your boarding pass beforehand - then you would just have to check your luggage.

Finally, it's important that you are virtually certain to make it to the airport before the cutoff time, not just expecting to if traffic is light etc.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Aug 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM

As Andre says, the minimum check-in time depends on the airline you're flying. For SWISS, min check-in time for flights to the US from ZRH is 70 minutes before departure time. Keep in mind that's the cutoff for checking in, and not the time by which you need to arrive at the airport or get in the line for check-in.

You should also check the airline's web site for information about online check-in or telephone check-in, which may be available depending on your airline and the type of ticket you're holding.
Aug 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM
P_M

If you are staying so far from the airport that a taxi will cost $200, I suggest spending the night at a nearby airport hotel, especially if you are taking an early morning flight. Please give us more details about your situation.