Security & Check-in time at Zurich airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be using the train connection from Zurich Bahnhof into the station at the airport, which takes 10-12 minutes. The station is underneath the terminal (Continental).

For this airport, what is typical/sufficient for clearing security and getting boarding passes for a 10:25 flight? (let's assume they'll board at 9:40). Will arriving by 8:00-8:15 be comfortable, or should we be earlier? If it is a 'zoo' like CDG typically is, then I KNOW it needs to be earlier.

Thanks for your input.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:23 PM

I flew out of Zurich Airport last month. It is a well-organized,easy to manage airport to depart from. Under normal situation,2 hours shall be all plenty enough.

For airport detail, please check: uniqueairport.com.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 07:37 PM
DAX

I tend to minimize my airport waiting time. If I am flying non american carriers in Europe(even to the US}, I usually arrive 1 hour before departure time because it's really enough time. I do arrive 2 hours before departure time for american carriers.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 09:14 PM

I have noticed in Zurich that the luggage screening area when you enter the airport can get backed up at times. I went outside for a walk and there was such a back up I was really late making my connection, so don't cut it too close.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:23 PM

I am glad you are leaving and not arriving from there as I found it to be the worst airport I flew into in Europe. There were only two immigration windows open so one for locals and one for others, it was hopeless. I'd gladly avoid it next time.
The train however is super efficient and so convenient.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:57 PM

We flew out of Zurich airport to Sydney Australia on 1 September. We flew Singapore Airlines and found that there were 3 separate check-in points (1 downstairs and 2 upstairs). We arrived at the airport at 12 noon for a 1.30pm flight. We went straight to the downstairs check-in point and were checked in by 12.15pm. We then did some duty free shopping for about 45 minutes and then went to the boarding gate and were on the plane at 1.10pm. I couldn't believe how quick the whole process was. Judging by our experience, if you arrive at 8.15 you will have tons of time to catch a 10.25 flight. Happy travelling.
Lonhro
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

One more question - if we buy our train tickets a day ahead of time, will it be specific to "7:40" or "8:07", or can we just make whatever the next run is?
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:34 AM

Hi Travelnut,

Love that name!

I've been lucky enough to travel in/out of Zurich airport 11 times in the past eight years, and it's one of my favorites. I think it's really really easy -- both in and out! I'm pretty mystified by KathyNZ's arrivals experience, as I've never had a problem. In fact, I count on getting through passport control, baggage claim, and immigration, and onto my train in the basement in about 45 minutes.

But you're asking about departures, and that will depend a lot on the airline you use -- how good their personnel are and how many stations they set up for the exit procedure. I can tell you that the last time I left from Zurich (June), I was at the check-in desk at 8.15 am and the desk wasn't even open yet (11 am flight). They opened at 8.30 and I was finished by 8.40. Lots of time to shop and have breakfast! That's generally how I remember all of the departures -- minimal waiting and hours left to shop.

When you buy your train tickets, be sure to tell the clerk that you'll be travelling the next day. Tickets are usually good for that day only, so if you don't mention the day you'll be travelling, your tickets will be expired. No, the tickets won't be specific for a certain time or train; they're only specific for the day.

Be advised, too, that unless you're travelling on a Sunday, the station and the trains will be packed tight. That's prime commuter time. You may want to scout out the train platforms the day before when you buy your tickets so you won't get disoriented as the swarm of commuters absorbs you. Trains to the airport are usually downstairs at the Hbh.

Let me know if I can help further --

s
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies... I will get our tickets upon arrival (for the next day), and make sure we know where to go. We have only a small backpack each, so no worries carrying luggage onboard a crowded train.
Now I'm ready to enjoy Zurich!