Virgin Blue to fly from Sydney to LAX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw that Virgin Blue, Australia's budget airline will be flying a 777-300 from Sydney to LAX. In the while on board section for economy it says, "Delight in our all-inclusive in-flight meal options, perfectly complemented by a beverage of your choice with your meal."

Seat pitch is 32 inches instead of the Qantas 31 inch pitch. All seats have video seatback televisions.

I wonder if this will cause United to bail on their Australia flights?
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 05:41 AM

<i>I wonder if this will cause United to bail on their Australia flights?</i>

Doubt that very much. Probably one of the most profitable route for UA.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if there are any hidden fees with this flight? (Food, beverages, checked bags, use of entertainment system)?
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM

The flight is not listed on their site anyone know who to find it and the price? thanks
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM

&lt;&lt;The flight is not listed on their site anyone know who to find it and the price?&gt;&gt;

The details can be found here
http://www.vaustralia.com.au/

The flights should have started about now as they were selling the tickets but Boeing went on strike and the 777's were not delivered

I believe, there is still a doubt whether they will arrive in time for the end of Feb.

As AAFF mentioned SYD - LAX is very profitable, especially for Qantas and when you look at Virgins pricing it is almost the same as Qantas so they are trying to muscle in, but without getting into a price war.

As a result,I would prefer not to fly Virgin, as with Qantas you get a more usuable frequent flyer plan (even though probably only get 25% mileage), more backup options available if plane breaksdown, better treatment if you miss a connection (one world partner), soon to be flying A380, with help yourself food and drinks.

If there was a large price difference, then Virgin would get my disposable income

Geordie
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM

Wally, bit strange posting and then asking questions yourself!
but &quot;Does anyone know if there are any hidden fees with this flight? (Food, beverages, checked bags, use of entertainment system)?&quot;

Looks like for economy meals are inclusive, perhaps a drink with it but then maybe not the way the wording is;
&quot;Delight in our all-inclusive in-flight meal options, perfectly complemented by a beverage of your choice with your meal.&quot;
Maybe things get better if you go prmium or above or you would hope so.

Old Dec 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM

The fare is not that great. Its in line with Qantas, United, Air NZ.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM

I'd say that you have to pay for everything, we use Virgin Blue a lot around Australia, you usually have to pay for food, entertainment and baggage but they don't mind if you take food on board, they'll still collect your rubbish after. When flying with them around Australia, the cabin crew are great, they make budget flying fun. We also use them a lot to provide and entire holiday booked on the Internet, you see exactly what you will get, know the exact price and they have always been 100% reliable for us. Please don't tell anyone I said this, I'm a retiree from another airline.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM

I think Virgin Blue is saying it does not have an open bar. You get an alcoholic drink with your meal, if you want it, but not necessarily otherwise.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/apps/va...ugh/index.html

Check out this video. So what airlines have bars in their first or business class section?
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM

<i>So what airlines have bars in their first or business class section?</i>

Well, they only have a self-service bar. It looks similar to what Air France offers in biz. BA also has an open galley like that (I am 90% sure it has booze). Virgin Atlantic has a full-service bar. Kingfisher does too.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess there is no reason for a U.S. airline to have a bar because the fasten seatbelt sign is always on.