Search

LAX to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAX to Sydney

We are in the process of planning our first trip to Australia. Do most people fly direct, or is it preferable to plan a stop in Fiji, Tahiti or Hawaii?? We are well traveled BUT age 55. The long flight sounds pretty grueling. Is there more legroom on Quantas and Air New Zealand than on carriers going to Europe?
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM

LA to Sydney is a long haul, but Sydney to London is worse. About 21 hours! The older you are the more uncomfortable airline seats become unless of course you fly Business Class. Flying direct means spending many hours in a most uncomfortable situation. There is the opinion that it is best to fly direct and get it over and done with, but my experience is that it is best to stopover. See a new country, walk around, make the most of the journey. Therefore I would advise a stopover in Fiji. Lots of excellent accommodations and a different culture to enjoy.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:37 PM

I wrote a trip report recently about flying to the USA via Hawaii but I cannot remember whether it was under this ID or my long time one of LizF - I had to change my ID because of not being able to work out how to get my password information back when I changed computers. I flew to the USA via Hawaii on Jetstar which is our budget airline and it was really good. Then spent 2 days in Hawaii before flying onto LA. On the return I went direct LA to Brisbane then to Melbourne. I slept most of the return flight so that was not a problem but the flight to Hawaii was about 10 hours and was an easy transition. If you have the time then take a stop over by all means as it makes for a better flight and yes Qantas does have more roomy seats on the long haul flights. If you choose Tahiti that can be very expensive for accommodation but it really depends on what airline you will be flying with and what that airline gives you in terms of cheaper flights within Australia on arrival. I have learnt over the years how to manage sleeping on flights and long haul flying does not worry me at all. But I must say that I do look a bit funny carrying a pillow everywhere I go but to me having my favourite pillow lets me sleep wherever I am.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:42 PM

I guess it depends how much time you have. Also the flight from LAX to NAN is over 10 hours. When you have been on a flight for that long how do you feel about another 3-4 hours? Hawaii would probably split the journey up more evenly if you can get a deal with AA and QANTAS. The answer to your question is that most people fly do fly direct. Even us people older than 55. Seatguru should give you info re legroom, my guess is they is no more than most transatlantic carriers. I believe NZ have a premium economy so it may be worth investigating their prices.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:20 AM

We fly Air NZ exclusively and stop in Auckland, generally for an overnight. Last trip we only stopped 3 hours and went directly on to Melbourne, and regretted it as we were exhausted. Air NZ gives you the onward choice of Sydney, Brisbane, or Melbourne at competitive prices.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! I think we can handle 14 hrs. I don't know why, but I thought it was a much longer flight!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:12 PM

QF will introduce daily flights to JFK from 14 August. http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...07/mar07/Q3557

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM

The JFK flights stop in LAX for customs and immigration.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:02 AM

I'm for the direct flight. Get on the plane and get it over with! I've tried both ways between Oz & Europe and find that it takes me just as long to recover if I have one day stopover as if I'd flown straight through - and I'd rather get my holiday started at my destination.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:58 AM

If you have the time, why don't you do an around the world flight. But if you are short on time, just get there as quick as you can. If you fly to Hawaii, most U.S. airlines have food for purchased and it isn't too good. Qantas, on the other hand, will feed you quite well several times. Go Qantas!

Qantas also doesn't have a problem if you get up and stretch, while most U.S. airlines will keep the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign on so the aging flight attendants can get around the plane easier.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Lindam, I'm in the Maryk camp - get the fastest, most direct route you can; read, sleep, get off, enjoy. Unless I'm going somewhere as a destination or for a purpose, I find stopovers of less than a couple of days, just irritating. And makes no difference to any jet lag. (Doesn't seem to affect me much anyway - guess I'm one of the lucky ones.) I'm older than you but don't class myself as geriatric by any means!

Do drink lots of water, not too much alcohol; walk around occasionally & do some stretches when you're awake, though. And if you're on an airline that discourages it, just whisper "DVT ... liability claim" in their shell pink ears & they'll wake up PDQ!

I've had a DVT & now wear those charming "elasticated" stockings when flying long-haul. They're not all that bad, and under slacks who knows anyway? They do, however, seem to reduce the "fat feet" & sludgy legs feeling of the long distance flyer.