Washington DC - AUS in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to plan a trip to Australia for November 2007. Right now, the flights from Washington, DC (actually Baltimore) to Sydney are around $1600 -- I'm not really sure what is a good price for this time of the year. Should I buy now or will the prices change significantly in a few months? Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Is that including flights within Australia as well?

I'm finding slightly higher for that same time period, but I'm in the middle of the country and am arranging three flights within Australia as well. $1600 doesn't sound that bad to me.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:50 AM

I don't know how much help this is, but flying the other way round, Australia to the US, the prices are lower earlier: that is they get more expensive the closer to your departure time you book. Is that shoulder (high, low, shoulder) for US flights?

$1600 US is a lot less than I would pay in Australian dollars going Qantas to the US with one or two stops.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 06:14 AM

That's not a bad price from BWI to SYD. You have to remember that this is the high season for Australia, so I doubt that airfares will come down for that time period. However, here are two suggestions to consider:
1. Have you looked at the Qantas Airpass? You can fly Qantas from LAX to SYD and have 3 internal flights within Australia for as low as $1500 for November. (You of course, would have to add on airfare from BWI to LAX.) If you intend to travel within the country, this could be a good deal for you. I have used the Airpass before and found it to be cost-effective and handy.
2. If you are comfortable bidding for airfare, you can get a good deal from Priceline on United from LAX to SYD. I did this a few years ago because I knew: a) United was the only airline that Priceline used that made this flight, so I knew exactly which airline I would be bidding on and b) I knew that there were only two flights from LAX to SYD on United and they were close in times to one another, so I knew exactly what time of day I would be flying. If you decide to try this, you should check the possible airlines that you'll be bidding on (it could have changed since I did it) and the times of their flights. You also will have to book your own flight from BWI to LAX. We managed to save about 25% on the cost of our flight.
A final note--I have flown both United and Qantas multiple times to Australia and I find Qantas to be the superior airline.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 10:12 AM

Have you been to www.qantas.com web deals?

I agree with the last person, avoid United and go Qantas.

Did you purchase the ticket as two separate flights? Baltimore to LAX or San Francisco, and California to Sydney?

I would consider an open-jaw ticket, fly into Brisbane, and fly out of Sydney or Melbourne--unless you want to spend all of your time in Sydney.

Check the Qantas airpass situation. I think you should wait a couple of months and check out all of the possibilities.