urgent connection question

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
urgent connection question

I have a united flight that is set to arrive in zurich at 810a and I have a connecting flight via swiss european to venice that is set to depart at 905a.
Question is those of you who know zurich airport is this a realistic makable connection?
Upon departing the united flight in zurich..will we have to go through any customs security on the way to the swiss connection?
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like a flight I was considering. I posted a similar question on Zurich and MUC connection times and got just a couple of responses re ZUR. You can click on my name to find it. It's entitled "Changing planes in ZRH & MUC." Since I had the option of changing in Munich, that's what I decided upon.

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:58 AM

I don't know Zurich airport but if you have purchased two seperate tickets for travel on the two different airlines, then I would say that you are in trouble.
You would have to collect your luggage, pass through Swiss customs and then check-in again.

If you have been sold a single ticket for these flights by an operator/agent then they should have checked in their industry "bible" for the minimum connecting time at Zurich. If you have not been warned about the MCT being too small, then you should be OK. If something does cause you to miss the connection then they will be liable for your extra expenditure.
Phone them and ask them to check on MCT for Zurich for your flights or if there is someone in the travel industry reading this who has access to that info, then feel free to chip in before russwuf heads for the airport.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:03 AM

55 min should be plenty of time, since your baggage will be checked through to your final destination.

And if your incoming plane is late, don't worry: they will put you on the next one.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Jen

Assuming both flights are on the same ticket, you shouldn't have a problem. I've connected thru Zurich twice and found it quite navigable. You won't have to do customs, possibly security at the gate.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM

UA and Swiss are both Star Alliance partners so you should be able to through-check luggages.

I believe Zurich MCT is 45min. You won't go through passport control, but there is a separate security check for connecting passengers. It's quite efficient, took me all about 5minutes or so. Sometimes you might have to take a people-mover if the gates are on opposite sides. Check gates and signage. If in doubt, tell the gate UA/Swiss agent that you've got a close connection so that they can alert the connectng flight's gate rep.

I've done 35min record (Boy did I run!) but that was between two Swiss flights.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 11:32 PM

The MCT is 40mins. The airline rep at connecting gate already knows about the connecting passengers.

Travel agents already know about MCT and are unlikely (though not unheard of) to make mistake, given all the checks in their computer systems. Mistakes are more likely to happen when individuals book bits of their itineraries on different sites/agents.