Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

one hour to change flights in Zurich - crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

this is my Air France post redux... let's say I wanted to go back to Venice this fall. And I found a good fair on United through Zurich with about a 50 minute turnaround in Zurich. possible or stupid? I know CDG is insane, and my only flight through Zurich didn't seem too bad (didn't seem remotely as big) but I don't know if I'm asking for trouble regardless.

same thing with the flight home - 1 hour through Munich (but no customs to deal with...)

thanks...
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM

It is hard to tell for sure, but from my experience (so far 14 flights to/from/around Europe this year): every one delayed from 30 minutes to 3 hours, it would be a bit risky. Zurich airport is not bad, but still a very busy airport. However, if United issues the whole route, they are supposed to put you in later flight, such as 3 times at Frankfurt this year, more than 2/3 of passengers on my flights were re-booked to something else.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks Judy.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Both airports are quite large and require long walking distances. In Zürich, there are signs saying "from here to gate 20 min walking" or "from here to gate 15 min walking".

1 hour should be enough, if everythings works out fine. If there is a delay of 30 min, then you will be in a rush. In any case, speak to the flight attendants before landing and tell them about your schedule. They may arrange something or notify people at the gates.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Isn't your logic a bit confused?

Assuming you're checked through on both journeys, your plane change at Zurich will involve no immigration or customs: you go through immigration at Venice - and customs, in practice, nowhere.

Your plane change at Munich on return will involve a slight delay while you go through outgoing Schengen passport control at Munich. There'll be no Customs
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

I've always had to pass through customs upon first arrival in Europe - regardless of being "checked through". once you are off the plane you have to produce papers - in my experience anyway. given that you live in the UK you wouldn't need to deal with that ever, eh?