Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Having truoble searching for seat for award travel. Anyone else having trouble?

Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

I have enough miles to book award travel on both USAIR and AA. When I try to book / search for seats availability both sites tell me I have invalid travel dates. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm using their calendar and I'm not more than 329 days ahead like it keeps telling me. I'm having this same issue on both websites and I've been trying for a while. I figured they are having site problems but for this long? What am I doing wrong? Does anyone else have this problem?
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM

Is it possible that your return is outside of the 330 day window?

If that's not the answer then call AA Web services. The number is listed on www.aa.com

Not sure if US has something similar.

Good luck!
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM

Origin, destination, dates?
Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:01 AM

I see that you said you are using their calendar, but I see that the USAir DM page has a three "calendar" options.

Underneath the From/To boxes are Deaprt/Return options. You can select the month/day/time from dropdowns. Next to those options for both Depart/Return are little calendar icons.

I know it shouldn't make any difference, but when you select your Depart and Return dates do it using the little popup calendars. Use IE if your browser doesn't show the calendar correctly. Make sure there that you have the correct month and YEAR.

The third "calendar option" is the Search by: Calendar toggle. Try both the Calendar and Schedule options (might want to close all of your browser windows and restart if you have issues or discrepancies when using the two options. Avoid using the browser back button unless told to.

The usair website has been a bit buggy in terms of useability for a long time, worse after it basically was cloned from the America West site (as it appeared to me). It's not engineered to work the same way for all browsers and browser helper applications.
Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. My travel is in March. I've tried dates even 2 months away just to see what happens and I get the same response. I check where they fly to make sure the destination is the right option. No luck. (Invalid dates. Travel can only be booked 329 days ahead.) My next move is to call. Just wondered if anyone else was having the same problem.
mrwunfrl- I'll take a closer look at that.
Thank you,
Annika
Nov 3rd, 2007, 12:10 AM

Are you sure the YEAR is right in your search entries - I am not suggesting that you are an idiot, but last time I searched I could not figure out what I was doing wrong and realized I had done something similar with the year.
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM

When I've had trouble with a website, I just phone the airline (USAir and United for travel on those airlines plus SAS, Lufthansa, and Spanair) and almost always get a very helpful human being on the FF desk. If I strike out with the first agent I just say thanks, hang up, and dial again to get a diferent operator.

It may cost an extra $20 to get the ticket issued this way, but it has been well worth it to me because a helpful agent can find alternate route, partner airlines, etc.
Caution: the last time I did this was over a year ago, so this service might have gone to hell in the meantime, as has been my experience with other aspects of USAir operations.
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Is it a seasonal destinationfor the airline? I know that two places I want to go - Lisbon and Edinburgh - are both seasonal destinations for USAir, and the seasons don't coincide with when I am able to travel. I get the same messsage as you are getting.
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

As it turns out- It was the browser I was using. I tried Firefox and am now having success!
Thanks mrwunrfl!