Upgrades on International Delta - Silver Medallion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my husband is SM and has gotten some nice regular upgrades on recent domestic flights. We are flying together to Spain in Sept (I am not SM). We were thinking about maybe would we be lucky enough to be upgraded on that trip. I think if I read the rules and the very technical talk on Flyertalk.com I realize that while domestic upgrades are one of the benefits of Mediallion status - it isn't typical on international flights.

Any perspective on whether Silver Medallion flying on economy ticket receives complimentary upgrades.?

Thanks.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Complimentary Upgrades

Your Medallion membership entitles you to enjoy unlimited complimentary upgrades, subject to availability, on most published coach fares on Delta and certain Delta-designated codeshare flights in North America within or between the United States (excluding Hawaii) and:

* Bermuda
* Canada
* Central and South America1
* the Caribbean
* Mexico

So no on transatlantic flights.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Forgot to include the South America footnote:

Complimentary upgrades are not available on flights to/from South American cities that are serviced with our BusinessElite® product (i.e., Buenos Aires, Argentina; Santiago, Chile; Lima, Peru; Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, Brazil).
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Your chances are very slim. Delta does not "upgrade" on International to Europe and Asia for Platinum Elites. Delta is not a big "upgrader" for those flights.

If they are oversold they MAY op-up folks to Business, BUT that goes in order of fare and status. So.. your DH is very far down the list and you won't be on it at all.

SORRY!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM

You stand somewhere between 0 and 5% chance of being upgraded as a Silver Medallion. OpUps, where Delta upgrades folks to make room in an oversold coach class cabin, do happen with more regularity than you might think, but they rarely need more than a few people and there will almost certainly be people with higher status on the flight. Were your DH a Platinum, then the odds would improve quite a bit - My wife and I (both Platinums) have received OpUps on somewhere around 20-30% of our long-haul flights with Delta over the past couple of years.

One other thing to note about Delta is that they seem to have taken a lot of discretion away from the airport staff in choosing people to upgrade. The last 4 OpUps the wife and I have received were already processed by the time we checked in, without any prompting or asking by us. So I would save the sweet talk and nice clothes for another time, as they are unlikely to get you anywhere.